Photogtaphy Forums

Photography Forums > Camera Manufacturers > Canon > Canon 20D Lockups with 1.0.5 firmware

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Canon 20D Lockups with 1.0.5 firmware

 
 
Lou
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-13-2004, 12:54 AM
Lockups still being reported with the new firmware.

See http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp do a search on the left
under Forums on 20D

Also being reported in the dpreview Canon forum.

Looks like it's still not fixed. Oh, well --------

Lou
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Phil Wheeler
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-13-2004, 01:23 AM
I had no lockups with 1.0.2 and have had none with 1.0.5.

So there may be some combo of things making lockups more likely.

Or some number of cameras may have non-firmware issues. The number
reported is MUCH smaller than it was prior to 1.0.5

Phil

Lou wrote:
> Lockups still being reported with the new firmware.
>
> See http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp do a search on the left
> under Forums on 20D
>
> Also being reported in the dpreview Canon forum.
>
> Looks like it's still not fixed. Oh, well --------
>
> Lou


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alan F Cross
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-13-2004, 08:51 AM
In message <ys%ad.440$(E-Mail Removed)>, Phil Wheeler
<w6tuh-(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I had no lockups with 1.0.2 and have had none with 1.0.5.
>
>So there may be some combo of things making lockups more likely.
>
>Or some number of cameras may have non-firmware issues. The number
>reported is MUCH smaller than it was prior to 1.0.5
>
>Phil
>
>Lou wrote:
>> Lockups still being reported with the new firmware.
>> See http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp do a search on the
>>left
>> under Forums on 20D
>> Also being reported in the dpreview Canon forum.
>> Looks like it's still not fixed. Oh, well --------
>> Lou

>


The initial problem, IIRC, was upgrading with no lens attached. Perhaps
that is still the issue under some circumstances.
--
Alan

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bart van der Wolf
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-13-2004, 09:20 AM

"Lou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lockups still being reported with the new firmware.


Error 99, and battery grip contacts have nothing to do with the
earlier lock-up issue. When it happens, it is often associated with
dirty lens contacts, or battery (grip) connections. It is NOT the
earlier lock-up that required temporary removal of the battery. Just
switch the camera off, clean the contacts, and switch on again.

> See http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp do a search on the

left
> under Forums on 20D


I'm not saying that there are no issues, but this is not related to
the 1.0.5 firmware fix.

> Also being reported in the dpreview Canon forum.


Same here, and a little more research also reveals threads like:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10653270

> Looks like it's still not fixed. Oh, well --------


Looks like you wanted to make a point, which is...?

Bart

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lou
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-13-2004, 02:49 PM
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:20:11 +0200, "Bart van der Wolf"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Lou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Lockups still being reported with the new firmware.

>
>Error 99, and battery grip contacts have nothing to do with the
>earlier lock-up issue. When it happens, it is often associated with
>dirty lens contacts, or battery (grip) connections. It is NOT the
>earlier lock-up that required temporary removal of the battery. Just
>switch the camera off, clean the contacts, and switch on again.
>
>> See http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp do a search on the

>left
>> under Forums on 20D

>
>I'm not saying that there are no issues, but this is not related to
>the 1.0.5 firmware fix.
>
>> Also being reported in the dpreview Canon forum.

>
>Same here, and a little more research also reveals threads like:
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10653270
>
>> Looks like it's still not fixed. Oh, well --------

>
>Looks like you wanted to make a point, which is...?


The point is that Canon still has unresolved problems. If you read
the posts from folks that have had the problem with 1.0.5 you will see
that failures have occurred under conditions that may not be caused by
what you mentioned. Most folks cleared the problem by removing the
battery according to what they posted so it MAY still be a problem in
the same area.

In any case, the 20D should not be locking up at all.

Having said that I will be ordering one as an upgrade from my D60,
been waiting to see what happens with this problem.

Lou
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lou
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-14-2004, 01:20 AM
On 13 Oct 2004 12:55:24 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Lou <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The point is that Canon still has unresolved problems.

>
>Actually, the point seems to be that you are a FUDster.
>
>http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...G=Search&meta=
>
> n. Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. The object of marketing
> campaigns launched by otherwise uncompetitive companies.
>
>So who are you working for? Sigma?


No connection with Sigma. Sorry, I can't help you with a discount.
The facts are that the problems have not been resolved with the 20D.

I thank you for the definition of FUDster.

FYI, a quick search of all news groups using your email address
returned the following -

"Results 1 - 100 of about 1,620 English messages for "
(E-Mail Removed)"."

Yahoo only returns 500, too bad I couldn't read them all ;-)

Get a life, you may be the record holder for posts, 1,620 in four news
groups -

Since one good definition deserves another here is on that apparently
applies to you based on all those news group posts -

flamage

/flay'm*j/ n. [very common] Flaming verbiage, esp.
high-noise, low-signal postings to Usenet or other electronic
fora. Often in the phrase `the usual flamage'. `Flaming' is the
act itself; `flamage' the content.

High noise, low signal is a good description for your posts.

Lou

 
Reply With Quote
 
Crownfield
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-16-2004, 04:38 AM
George Preddy wrote:
>
> Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<151020040557531249%(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, Georgette
> > Preddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Did you expect a DSLR from Canon without major issues?

> >
> > At least the skin tones aren't yellow and it's more than your 3.42MP
> > kiddie camera.

>
> If you really used both you'd know that Canon's skin tones are often
> worse. Usually worse.


actually, not so.

> You need to understand what a RAW image is
> before you may understand why WB doesn't matter with a pro camera.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon 20D Latest Firmware Harry Canon 1 10-20-2005 10:11 PM
Canon 20D Firmware Upgrade V2.0.0 Russell Canon 7 05-19-2005 02:04 AM
Rendering MPEG 2 causes lockups Richard Parker Amateur Video Production 14 05-01-2005 10:47 PM
Firmware version 1.1.0 for Canon 20D SmartAzz Canon 6 12-09-2004 03:05 PM
Canon EOS 20D Firmware Update Available Tomorrow (Fri) Phil Wheeler Canon 32 10-03-2004 12:39 AM