Photogtaphy Forums

Photography Forums > Photography Newsgroups > Photography Archive > Digital SLR > Computer Monitors for Photo Editing

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Computer Monitors for Photo Editing

 
 
Ken Stahl
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Does anyone have suggestions for a quality computer monitor for photo
editing? My understanding is that CRT monitors are preferred over LC. A
possible problem though is that the red gun in a CRT monitor will degrade in
few years so that color editing will tend to produce redder photos in print.

Thanks,

Ken


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
me@mine.net
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-01-2008, 04:38 PM
On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 11:55:32 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan
Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ken Stahl wrote:
>> Does anyone have suggestions for a quality computer monitor for photo
>> editing? My understanding is that CRT monitors are preferred over LC. A
>> possible problem though is that the red gun in a CRT monitor will degrade in
>> few years so that color editing will tend to produce redder photos in print.

>
>I have fallen in love with my Apple iMac LCD monitor (24", 1920 x 1200).


I can also recommend the Eizo Coloredge CE240W LCD of the same size and
resolution.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
me@mine.net
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-01-2008, 05:28 PM
On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 12:51:10 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan
Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 11:55:32 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan
>> Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Ken Stahl wrote:
>>>> Does anyone have suggestions for a quality computer monitor for photo
>>>> editing? My understanding is that CRT monitors are preferred over LC. A
>>>> possible problem though is that the red gun in a CRT monitor will degrade in
>>>> few years so that color editing will tend to produce redder photos in print.
>>> I have fallen in love with my Apple iMac LCD monitor (24", 1920 x 1200).

>>
>> I can also recommend the Eizo Coloredge CE240W LCD of the same size and
>> resolution.

>
>I'm sure ... but you should reply to the OPoster.


Bullshit, this is usenet and to paraphrase you, I can post what I want.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-01-2008, 06:54 PM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 12:51:10 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan
> Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 11:55:32 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan
> >> Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>
> >>> Ken Stahl wrote:
> >>>> Does anyone have suggestions for a quality computer monitor for photo
> >>>> editing? My understanding is that CRT monitors are preferred over LC. A
> >>>> possible problem though is that the red gun in a CRT monitor will degrade in
> >>>> few years so that color editing will tend to produce redder photos in print.
> >>> I have fallen in love with my Apple iMac LCD monitor (24", 1920 x 1200).
> >>
> >> I can also recommend the Eizo Coloredge CE240W LCD of the same size and
> >> resolution.

> >
> >I'm sure ... but you should reply to the OPoster.

>
> Bullshit, this is usenet and to paraphrase you, I can post what I want.


certainly there is no law against ingnoring good advice,
or against taking a foolish position in a newsgroup.


>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Furman
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Ken Stahl wrote:
> Does anyone have suggestions for a quality computer monitor for photo
> editing? My understanding is that CRT monitors are preferred over LC. A
> possible problem though is that the red gun in a CRT monitor will degrade in
> few years so that color editing will tend to produce redder photos in print.


I have a Planar PX2611W (26" LCD 1920x1200):
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...50&dcaid=17902
You can see in my review there about 'pixel creep'. I paid about $800
but they're listing at $1000 now and out of stock. This company has done
high end medical displays and this was their first venture into consumer
gear. It is a great value for the price but there are some quality
control issues: you get what you pay for.

It uses IPS (versus TN or VA) which means the colors & brightness don't
change with the viewing angle like most LCDs and it is also well
regarded by gamers for fast response. I use it to watch Bluray videos as
well. I like that the pixels are a little bigger than a 24".

More reviews here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824016084
http://www.planar.com/products/flatp...el/px2611w.cfm
http://www.planar.com/howtobuy/onlin...ProdVary=Black

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net
www.baynatives.com

all google groups messages filtered due to spam
 
Reply With Quote
 
me@mine.net
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-01-2008, 07:29 PM
On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 14:59:01 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan
Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bob wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> says...
>>> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 12:51:10 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan
>>> Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>>> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 11:55:32 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan
>>>>> Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Ken Stahl wrote:
>>>>>>> Does anyone have suggestions for a quality computer monitor for photo
>>>>>>> editing? My understanding is that CRT monitors are preferred over LC. A
>>>>>>> possible problem though is that the red gun in a CRT monitor will degrade in
>>>>>>> few years so that color editing will tend to produce redder photos in print.
>>>>>> I have fallen in love with my Apple iMac LCD monitor (24", 1920 x 1200).
>>>>> I can also recommend the Eizo Coloredge CE240W LCD of the same size and
>>>>> resolution.
>>>> I'm sure ... but you should reply to the OPoster.
>>> Bullshit, this is usenet and to paraphrase you, I can post what I want.

>>
>> certainly there is no law against ingnoring good advice,
>> or against taking a foolish position in a newsgroup.

>
>... damn near tradition with some ...


You know Alan if you want to be an a-hole, so be it. I guess it never would
occur to you that all posts mights not be propagated to all ISPs at the
same pace.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin.D
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-01-2008, 11:30 PM
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 14:59:01 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan
> Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Bob wrote:
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>>> says...
>>>> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 12:51:10 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan
>>>> Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>>>> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 11:55:32 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan
>>>>>> Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Ken Stahl wrote:
>>>>>>>> Does anyone have suggestions for a quality computer monitor for photo
>>>>>>>> editing? My understanding is that CRT monitors are preferred over LC. A
>>>>>>>> possible problem though is that the red gun in a CRT monitor will degrade in
>>>>>>>> few years so that color editing will tend to produce redder photos in print.
>>>>>>> I have fallen in love with my Apple iMac LCD monitor (24", 1920 x 1200).
>>>>>> I can also recommend the Eizo Coloredge CE240W LCD of the same size and
>>>>>> resolution.
>>>>> I'm sure ... but you should reply to the OPoster.
>>>> Bullshit, this is usenet and to paraphrase you, I can post what I want.
>>> certainly there is no law against ingnoring good advice,
>>> or against taking a foolish position in a newsgroup.

>> ... damn near tradition with some ...

>
> You know Alan if you want to be an a-hole, so be it. I guess it never would
> occur to you that all posts mights not be propagated to all ISPs at the
> same pace.


Propagation varies, but a post will always be under its 'parent', IOW
the one you reply to.

Alan nitpicked a bit, but your response was somewhat childish.

Colin D.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Ken Stahl wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions for a quality computer monitor for photo
> editing? My understanding is that CRT monitors are preferred over LC. A
> possible problem though is that the red gun in a CRT monitor will degrade in
> few years so that color editing will tend to produce redder photos in print.


I'm lovin' my Samsung 24" 1920x1200. Model 245BW. Reasonably priced.


--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
Pat
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-02-2008, 03:12 AM
On Nov 1, 11:38*am, "Ken Stahl" <kenst...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Does anyone have suggestions for a quality computer monitor for photo
> editing? My understanding is that CRT monitors are preferred over LC. A
> possible problem though is that the red gun in a CRT monitor will degradein
> few years so that color editing will tend to produce redder photos in print.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken


You really can't do photo editing without at least TWO monitors. You
need one for the image and one for all of the menus and such.

I'm at two now and am seriously considering a third one.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-02-2008, 03:13 AM
Colin.D wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 14:59:01 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
>> Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Bob wrote:
>>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>>>> says...
>>>>> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 12:51:10 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
>>>>> Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>>>>> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 11:55:32 -0400, in
>>>>>>> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan Browne
>>>>>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Ken Stahl wrote:
>>>>>>>>> Does anyone have suggestions for a quality computer monitor for
>>>>>>>>> photo editing? My understanding is that CRT monitors are
>>>>>>>>> preferred over LC. A possible problem though is that the red gun
>>>>>>>>> in a CRT monitor will degrade in few years so that color editing
>>>>>>>>> will tend to produce redder photos in print.
>>>>>>>> I have fallen in love with my Apple iMac LCD monitor (24", 1920 x
>>>>>>>> 1200).
>>>>>>> I can also recommend the Eizo Coloredge CE240W LCD of the same
>>>>>>> size and resolution.
>>>>>> I'm sure ... but you should reply to the OPoster.
>>>>> Bullshit, this is usenet and to paraphrase you, I can post what I
>>>>> want.
>>>> certainly there is no law against ingnoring good advice, or against
>>>> taking a foolish position in a newsgroup.
>>> ... damn near tradition with some ...

>>
>> You know Alan if you want to be an a-hole, so be it. I guess it never
>> would occur to you that all posts mights not be propagated to all ISPs
>> at the same pace.

>
> Propagation varies, but a post will always be under its 'parent', IOW
> the one you reply to.


I don't have a dog in this fight, but it should be noted - relative to
that statement - that some people aren't clued enough to use a threaded
view. For them, it's a flat list, with posts sorted by whatever they've
chosen (or the program's default): date/time, subject, author, whatever.


--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Computer monitors m Ransley Digital Cameras 73 12-18-2005 05:23 AM
1 computer - 2 monitors ushere Amateur Video Production 12 02-28-2005 01:27 AM
Are LCD Monitors Brigter than CRT Monitors Al Digital Cameras 1 09-08-2004 04:09 PM
Monitors for Photo Editing Ray Paseur Photography 2 07-19-2004 03:05 PM
Computer monitors Simon Waldman UK Photography 4 05-02-2004 11:42 AM