Photogtaphy Forums

Photography Forums > Photography Newsgroups > Software Archive > Professional Video Production > HG 10 under water

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

HG 10 under water

 
 
Bob Noble
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      05-15-2009, 04:36 AM
Well, it finally happened.
I dumped my hg 10 in the water. I've been using it on my chest with a cord
around my neck kayaking a river. It was in my pack this time, not in a water
proof bag, because it's useless when in there for my purposes. Anyway, my
pack went under water and me too for a minute or so before I could extract
myself from the yak. As soon as I got the kayak upright, I opened the pack
and took the camera out of it's pouch and started shacking/pouring water out
of the camera. I pulled the battery right away, before starting this
process. Since, where ever I am on the river, I'm already there, I went to
shore and spread everything out on some grass and proceeded to LOL, more
than once. This is the first time in six years on the river I've tipped
over. I turned the cam in the sun and shock it several more times, but not
too hard, because I remembered it has a hard drive. The lens had water drops
all over the inside.
Next day, I put it out in the sun to bake out. That night, I tried it and it
worked for a bit, than gave me the task won't complete, which I got one time
out in the a wet fog, showing condensing problems. Back out in the sun
again today and now tonight it works and I don't seem to see any of the
water spots on the lens.
Still a bit of testing to do, but, so far, it looks very good.
I have to give Canon a lot of credit for this. Amazing camera.
I'm still getting material and having done any editing yet.

--
Bob Noble
http://www.sonic.net/bnoble

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ushere
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      05-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Bob Noble wrote:
> Well, it finally happened. I dumped my hg 10 in the water. I've been
> using it on my chest with a cord around my neck kayaking a river. It
> was in my pack this time, not in a water proof bag, because it's
> useless when in there for my purposes. Anyway, my pack went under
> water and me too for a minute or so before I could extract myself
> from the yak. As soon as I got the kayak upright, I opened the pack
> and took the camera out of it's pouch and started shacking/pouring
> water out of the camera. I pulled the battery right away, before
> starting this process. Since, where ever I am on the river, I'm
> already there, I went to shore and spread everything out on some
> grass and proceeded to LOL, more than once. This is the first time in
> six years on the river I've tipped over. I turned the cam in the sun
> and shock it several more times, but not too hard, because I
> remembered it has a hard drive. The lens had water drops all over the
> inside. Next day, I put it out in the sun to bake out. That night, I
> tried it and it worked for a bit, than gave me the task won't
> complete, which I got one time out in the a wet fog, showing
> condensing problems. Back out in the sun again today and now tonight
> it works and I don't seem to see any of the water spots on the lens.
> Still a bit of testing to do, but, so far, it looks very good. I have
> to give Canon a lot of credit for this. Amazing camera. I'm still
> getting material and having done any editing yet.
>


personally i would have kept quiet about your experience. then again, i
now know not to rent / lend you a camera.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bob Noble
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      05-15-2009, 07:22 AM


"ushere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FD8Pl.11133$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bob Noble wrote:
>> Well, it finally happened. I dumped my hg 10 in the water. I've been
>> using it on my chest with a cord around my neck kayaking a river. It
>> was in my pack this time, not in a water proof bag, because it's
>> useless when in there for my purposes. Anyway, my pack went under
>> water and me too for a minute or so before I could extract myself
>> from the yak. As soon as I got the kayak upright, I opened the pack and
>> took the camera out of it's pouch and started shacking/pouring
>> water out of the camera. I pulled the battery right away, before
>> starting this process. Since, where ever I am on the river, I'm
>> already there, I went to shore and spread everything out on some

>



> personally i would have kept quiet about your experience. then again, i
> now know not to rent / lend you a camera.


I used to work for HP. The equipment I used cost millions. I believe in
using it.
I never rent, so don't worry. :O)

 
Reply With Quote
 
ushere
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      05-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Bob Noble wrote:
>
> "ushere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FD8Pl.11133$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Bob Noble wrote:
>>> Well, it finally happened. I dumped my hg 10 in the water. I've been
>>> using it on my chest with a cord around my neck kayaking a river. It
>>> was in my pack this time, not in a water proof bag, because it's
>>> useless when in there for my purposes. Anyway, my pack went under
>>> water and me too for a minute or so before I could extract myself
>>> from the yak. As soon as I got the kayak upright, I opened the pack and
>>> took the camera out of it's pouch and started shacking/pouring
>>> water out of the camera. I pulled the battery right away, before
>>> starting this process. Since, where ever I am on the river, I'm
>>> already there, I went to shore and spread everything out on some

>
>
>> personally i would have kept quiet about your experience. then again, i
>> now know not to rent / lend you a camera.

>
> I used to work for HP. The equipment I used cost millions. I believe in
> using it.
> I never rent, so don't worry. :O)
>


if it's hp, or apples equipment, i suggest you throw it back in and ask
for a (newer) replacement ;-)
 
Reply With Quote
 
J. Clarke
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      05-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Bob Noble wrote:
> Well, it finally happened.
> I dumped my hg 10 in the water. I've been using it on my chest with a
> cord around my neck kayaking a river. It was in my pack this time,
> not in a water proof bag, because it's useless when in there for my
> purposes. Anyway, my pack went under water and me too for a minute or
> so before I could extract myself from the yak. As soon as I got the
> kayak upright, I opened the pack and took the camera out of it's
> pouch and started shacking/pouring water out of the camera. I pulled
> the battery right away, before starting this process. Since, where
> ever I am on the river, I'm already there, I went to shore and spread
> everything out on some grass and proceeded to LOL, more than once.
> This is the first time in six years on the river I've tipped over. I
> turned the cam in the sun and shock it several more times, but not
> too hard, because I remembered it has a hard drive. The lens had
> water drops all over the inside.
> Next day, I put it out in the sun to bake out. That night, I tried it
> and it worked for a bit, than gave me the task won't complete, which
> I got one time out in the a wet fog, showing condensing problems.
> Back out in the sun again today and now tonight it works and I don't
> seem to see any of the water spots on the lens.
> Still a bit of testing to do, but, so far, it looks very good.
> I have to give Canon a lot of credit for this. Amazing camera.
> I'm still getting material and having done any editing yet.


I'm curious--would a Ziploc bag be too inconvenient to use? Doesn't give
the same protection as a proper waterproof bag I know but it gives a lot
more than nothing.

 
Reply With Quote
 
David McCall
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      05-15-2009, 01:22 PM

"J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I'm curious--would a Ziploc bag be too inconvenient to use? Doesn't give
> the same protection as a proper waterproof bag I know but it gives a lot
> more than nothing.
>

It could have greatly reduced the amount of water that got into it in this
case.
On some cameras you can use a big zip-loc bag and cut a hole for the lens,
then use rubberbands to keep it tight around the lens. This might be helpful
in light rain, but underwater it would only help a little.

Bob did exactly the right thing. He pulled the battery and baked it in ther
sun.
Water usually isn't that bad for electronics as long as there is no power.

I once took a big old Tektronix scope to be cleaned abnd calibrated. They
had
a huge tub of ordinary water that they emerse equipment into. There might
have
been bubbles to agitate it, but that's about it. After they pulled it out
they baked it
for some perios and then calibrated it. I got a few more years out of it.

We once had some audio equipment in a night club that had a fire. everything
was under some very dirty water. Any plastic parts were partially melted
too.
We put it all out in the sun for a couple days, replaced the power cords and
a
lot of it still worked.

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry in AZ
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      05-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Waiving the right to remain silent, "David McCall" <(E-Mail Removed)>
said:

> I once took a big old Tektronix scope to be cleaned abnd calibrated. They
> had
> a huge tub of ordinary water that they emerse equipment into. There might
> have
> been bubbles to agitate it, but that's about it. After they pulled it out
> they baked it
> for some perios and then calibrated it. I got a few more years out of it.


I had a similar experinece at Tek, but they used a thing that looked a lot
like one of those automatic car washes, but of course much smaller.
Pressurized water, soap, and rinse and bake.

--
Larry Jandro
Video Engineering & Equipment Rentals
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
[Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to reply]
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob A
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      05-15-2009, 02:56 PM
I had a Canon UCS 3 Hi8 that took a bath white water rafting. It never
did anything after that. DOA. Just as well a Canon makes a crappy
video camera anyway. My homeowners insurance paid off in full, so I
could buy Sony.

 
Reply With Quote
 
David McCall
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      05-15-2009, 03:21 PM

"Bob A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had a Canon UCS 3 Hi8 that took a bath white water rafting. It never
> did anything after that. DOA. Just as well a Canon makes a crappy
> video camera anyway. My homeowners insurance paid off in full, so I
> could buy Sony.
>

But, did you immediately remove power and bake it before trying it?


BTW, if you drop it in salt water, you might just as well leave it on the
water.
In fact your only hope is to keep it in a bucket until you get home, and
then
rinse it out several times with clear water, then bake it.
Still your odds are pretty poor in salt water.

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Noble
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      05-15-2009, 04:08 PM
I worked for Hp before there were hp computers, but they were just starting
hp computers and HP was the best company to work for, bar none.
It's now crap, you are right. The real Hp is now called Agilent, which most
people don't really know.
Bob

>>
>> I used to work for HP. The equipment I used cost millions. I believe in
>> using it.
>> I never rent, so don't worry. :O)

>
> if it's hp, or apples equipment, i suggest you throw it back in and ask
> for a (newer) replacement ;-)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For RichA, K10D under water. Pete D Digital SLR 2 11-12-2006 05:36 AM
how to take a camcorder under water? dh@. Professional Video Production 27 06-06-2005 04:28 PM
Taking a camcorder under water... John Emmons Professional Video Production 1 05-31-2005 03:36 AM
Municipal Water versus Well Water. Gregory W Blank Darkroom Developing and Printing 16 11-27-2004 02:18 PM