Photogtaphy Forums

Photography Forums > Camera Manufacturers > Nikon > Older Nikon Camera

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Older Nikon Camera

 
 
J.Lef
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Hello to all>
Just curious. I have a few selected pieces of older Nikon equipment and was
wondering if there is any value to it these days, since the advent of the
digital age.
They belonged to my dad, and I got them about twenty five years ago,
and remember taking a few rolls of film with them and then nothing. I guess
the camera and lenses were puchased new around 1970. I am not sure but I
remember the camera being called an f box or something like that.
They are an Nikon 35 mm camera, with aleather case and with some lenses.
If I remember the built in light meter is not functioning.
If there is a value, I will gladly pull them out from a box in the
basement, and relate anything on them, such a model, serial numbers, and
digital photos of them if allowed on this n.g.

Much regards



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Advocate54
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-21-2008, 05:45 PM

"J.Lef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fuu3l.308$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello to all>
> Just curious. I have a few selected pieces of older Nikon equipment and
> was wondering if there is any value to it these days, since the advent of
> the digital age.
> They belonged to my dad, and I got them about twenty five years ago,
> and remember taking a few rolls of film with them and then nothing. I
> guess the camera and lenses were puchased new around 1970. I am not sure
> but I remember the camera being called an f box or something like that.
> They are an Nikon 35 mm camera, with aleather case and with some
> lenses.
> If I remember the built in light meter is not functioning.
> If there is a value, I will gladly pull them out from a box in the
> basement, and relate anything on them, such a model, serial numbers, and
> digital photos of them if allowed on this n.g.
>

Film cameras generally don't have much value now days...especially one with
a defective light meter (which is quite common). Check eBay for completed
auctions.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael Benveniste
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-21-2008, 06:14 PM
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 16:51:23 GMT, "J.Lef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If there is a value, I will gladly pull them out from a box in the
>basement, and relate anything on them, such a model, serial numbers, and
>digital photos of them if allowed on this n.g.


There's an active market for older Nikon manual focus gear, but it
depends on the model and condition. The same is true for lenses. In
fact, the dollar prices of nice manual focus Nikkors have gone up over
the last few months -- whether this is due to the release of the D700
or general weakness in the dollar I can't say.

I use my Nikon FA every 2-3 months. I also use a 75-150mm f/3.5 and a
35mm f/2.8 PC with some regularity on my modern cameras.

Now, the bad news. If the gear has been "hiding in a closet" for
a couple of decades or more, it may have developed some condition
problems. For example, the batteries may have corroded, or the
lenses may have been ruined by fungus. Both of these are more likely
in a humid climate.

Good luck, and I hope your treasure trove is intact.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (E-Mail Removed) (Clarification Required)
Cogito eggo sum -- I'm thinking toaster waffles for breakfast.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Furman
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-21-2008, 08:25 PM
J.Lef wrote:
> Hello to all>
> Just curious. I have a few selected pieces of older Nikon equipment and was
> wondering if there is any value to it these days, since the advent of the
> digital age.
> They belonged to my dad, and I got them about twenty five years ago,
> and remember taking a few rolls of film with them and then nothing. I guess
> the camera and lenses were puchased new around 1970.


Given the date (pre-1977-79), those are 'pre-Ai' or 'non-Ai' lenses and
won't mount on (many) new cameras. I believe they will actually mount on
the D40 & D60 but can damage other models without modification. They are
still probably worth $30 each or something, maybe more. Here's a good
reference with lots of photos of the lenses:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...kor/index1.htm
-although it's tough to navigate, try searching like this:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...e%3Amir.com.my

> I am not sure but I
> remember the camera being called an f box or something like that.
> They are an Nikon 35 mm camera, with aleather case and with some lenses.
> If I remember the built in light meter is not functioning.


Some old cameras get problems with the foam bumper for the mirror
turning to goo or crumbling. If it's in good clean condition not beat up
it might be worth something.

> If there is a value, I will gladly pull them out from a box in the
> basement, and relate anything on them, such a model, serial numbers, and
> digital photos of them if allowed on this n.g.


I'm curious about the lenses. Serial number is not usually needed, all
the other numbers & names are relevant. For those lenses it's usually
three pieces of information:

f=5cm
focal length; newer ones will say say 50mm

1:3.5
f-stop/max-aperture, expressed today as f/3.5, smaller numbers are
better like 1:2 or 1:1.4

NIKKOR-S
-S, -O, -H... refers to the number of glass elements, OCTA, HEXA, etc.

Then it'll say [Nikon] or [Nippon Kogaku Japan], and probably Auto, and
the serial number. Sometimes the colored number series on the side of
aperture ring go up to 16 or 22 depending on the model and the smallest
number such as 1.4 is the same as the 1:1.4 on the front.

If any have holes in the rabbit ear prongs at the base, that's a newer &
more useful Ai version.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net
www.baynatives.com

all google groups messages filtered due to spam
 
Reply With Quote
 
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-22-2008, 06:29 AM
Bill Graham wrote:

> Try KEH to check up on the value of your lenses......


Just remember that KEH sells every lens as being optically perfect with
no scratches on the glass, fungus, and the diaphragms and focusing are
in good working order. They also include a 2 week return privledge
and a 90 day warranty.

Considering that it costs at least $100 to have someone CLA (clean, lube,
adjust) a camera if you have to pay "retail" for the work, in many cases,
the return privledge and warranty are worth more than the item.

For example, if the original Nikon F was stored in an airtight container,
and has no moisture, fungus, corrosion, or other damage, the felt light
seals have probably disintegrated, the grease has hardened and so on.

A good CLA would bring it back to life, but it is unlikely that anyone
will pay you near KEH's price for it without the work.

If it needs real parts and real work, it may simply be not worth fixing,
except for sentimental reasons.

BTW, for some strange reason, cameras and lenses sold with a time-honored
"Caveat Emptor" warranty on eBay, sometimes go for 20% MORE than KEH sells
them.

I think people are either ignorant of KEH, or are put off by their realistic
grading system, while things sold on eBay are often overstated.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel (E-Mail Removed) N3OWJ/4X1GM
 
Reply With Quote
 
J.Lef
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the information. The prices have
really gone down to almost nothing. I always thought they would grow in
value, but then the digital age came in. I found one box so far, and here
is whats in it, and not sue what one thing is.

A Nikon black camera that has in the front of body, on the
silver portion, a large letter F outlined, with lower down in black a
solid Nikon. ( I know its a 35mm)

It is in a two piece case, thats brown leather marked Nikon,
with a crushed red velvet interior. The camera stays in the lower portion
protected, and the bulbous top piece snapps off. It has a strap. (It all
appears to be leather)

Still attached is a lens with cover, that says Lens made in
Japan.
It has lots of number markings on the outside, and the front part of the
inside describes the lens as a " Zoom-NIKKOR Auto 1:3.5
f=43mm(tilda)f=86 Nippon Kogaku
Japan No. 456144

There appears to be film in it also, as the counter is on 4.

Also a small square brown package that says Nikon Focusing Screen Type F
Made in Japan. And inside the cardboard box, is a square black frame with a
square lens inside, protected by a form fitting thick spongelike protection.
I have no idea what this is used for.

Also another lens(or something) thats in a cylindrical type case, with a
zipper half way down. It appears to be black, but I am not sure if its
leather. The make on top of case says KIRON
Inside is something I am not sure what it is, it looks like a double
sided lens.
It has two protective lens caps on either side. Everything is black metal.
It says on it. KIRON MC7 2X TELECONVERTER FOR N/A1 JAPAN

Also found a gift I received maybee ten or more years ago, but
only once used.
It looks like a 35mm point and shoot camera by LEICA.
Its a rectangle, grey colored, a bit larger then todays
digital camers. It has a Red Ball on fron with the Leica name in script in
a gold color. It is raised, not painted.
The camera is called the Leica mini, and says near the
lens Leica Elmar
1:3.5/35 manufactured in Japan, with a serial number.
I remember using it for a roll or two, but I had a fuji
which I was very satisfied with. Oh year, the Leica has a soft leather or
leatherette carying case.

Well thats box number one Sorry if I wrote too much. Any
feedback apprecited.
Much regards


 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Furman
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-22-2008, 09:08 PM
J.Lef wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for all the information. The prices have
> really gone down to almost nothing. I always thought they would grow in
> value, but then the digital age came in. I found one box so far, and here
> is whats in it, and not sue what one thing is.
>
> A Nikon black camera that has in the front of body, on the
> silver portion, a large letter F outlined, with lower down in black a
> solid Nikon. ( I know its a 35mm)


That's called the Nikon F :-)
Has sold for $75 to $300 on ebay recently.


> It is in a two piece case, thats brown leather marked Nikon,
> with a crushed red velvet interior. The camera stays in the lower portion
> protected, and the bulbous top piece snapps off. It has a strap. (It all
> appears to be leather)
>
> Still attached is a lens with cover, that says Lens made in
> Japan.
> It has lots of number markings on the outside, and the front part of the
> inside describes the lens as a " Zoom-NIKKOR Auto 1:3.5
> f=43mm(tilda)f=86 Nippon Kogaku
> Japan No. 456144


http://www.photodo.com/product_1148_p3.html
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=43-86mm
Has sold for $20 to $80 on ebay recently.


> There appears to be film in it also, as the counter is on 4.
>
> Also a small square brown package that says Nikon Focusing Screen Type F
> Made in Japan. And inside the cardboard box, is a square black frame with a
> square lens inside, protected by a form fitting thick spongelike protection.
> I have no idea what this is used for.
>
> Also another lens(or something) thats in a cylindrical type case, with a
> zipper half way down. It appears to be black, but I am not sure if its
> leather. The make on top of case says KIRON
> Inside is something I am not sure what it is, it looks like a double
> sided lens.
> It has two protective lens caps on either side. Everything is black metal.
> It says on it. KIRON MC7 2X TELECONVERTER FOR N/A1 JAPAN


Third party brand focal length doubler, probably worth nothing, maybe
fun to play with.


> Also found a gift I received maybee ten or more years ago, but
> only once used.
> It looks like a 35mm point and shoot camera by LEICA.
> Its a rectangle, grey colored, a bit larger then todays
> digital camers. It has a Red Ball on fron with the Leica name in script in
> a gold color. It is raised, not painted.
> The camera is called the Leica mini, and says near the
> lens Leica Elmar
> 1:3.5/35 manufactured in Japan, with a serial number.
> I remember using it for a roll or two, but I had a fuji
> which I was very satisfied with. Oh year, the Leica has a soft leather or
> leatherette carying case.


http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00DzfS

> Well thats box number one Sorry if I wrote too much. Any
> feedback apprecited.
> Much regards


Keep digging!


--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net
www.baynatives.com

all google groups messages filtered due to spam
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Furman
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Paul Furman wrote:
> J.Lef wrote:
>
>> ... I found one box so
>> far, and here is whats in it, and not sue what one thing is.
>>
>> A Nikon black camera that has in the front of body,
>> on the silver portion, a large letter F outlined, with lower down in
>> black a solid Nikon. ( I know its a 35mm)

>
> That's called the Nikon F :-)
> Has sold for $75 to $300 on ebay recently.


Listed on KEH for $199 to $899.


>> It is in a two piece case, thats brown leather marked
>> Nikon, with a crushed red velvet interior. The camera stays in the
>> lower portion protected, and the bulbous top piece snapps off. It has
>> a strap. (It all appears to be leather)
>>
>> Still attached is a lens with cover, that says Lens made
>> in Japan.
>> It has lots of number markings on the outside, and the front part of
>> the inside describes the lens as a " Zoom-NIKKOR Auto 1:3.5
>> f=43mm(tilda)f=86 Nippon Kogaku
>> Japan No. 456144

>
> http://www.photodo.com/product_1148_p3.html
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=43-86mm
> Has sold for $20 to $80 on ebay recently.


Listed on KEH for $23 to $99.

>
>> Well thats box number one Sorry if I wrote too much.
>> Any feedback apprecited.

>
> Keep digging!



--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net
www.baynatives.com

all google groups messages filtered due to spam
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Hart1
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-23-2008, 12:55 AM

"Bill Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
> "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Bill Graham wrote:
>>
>>> Try KEH to check up on the value of your lenses......

>>
>> Just remember that KEH sells every lens as being optically perfect with
>> no scratches on the glass, fungus, and the diaphragms and focusing are
>> in good working order. They also include a 2 week return privledge
>> and a 90 day warranty.
>>
>> Considering that it costs at least $100 to have someone CLA (clean, lube,
>> adjust) a camera if you have to pay "retail" for the work, in many cases,
>> the return privledge and warranty are worth more than the item.
>>
>> For example, if the original Nikon F was stored in an airtight container,
>> and has no moisture, fungus, corrosion, or other damage, the felt light
>> seals have probably disintegrated, the grease has hardened and so on.
>>
>> A good CLA would bring it back to life, but it is unlikely that anyone
>> will pay you near KEH's price for it without the work.
>>
>> If it needs real parts and real work, it may simply be not worth fixing,
>> except for sentimental reasons.
>>
>> BTW, for some strange reason, cameras and lenses sold with a time-honored
>> "Caveat Emptor" warranty on eBay, sometimes go for 20% MORE than KEH
>> sells
>> them.
>>
>> I think people are either ignorant of KEH, or are put off by their
>> realistic
>> grading system, while things sold on eBay are often overstated.
>>
>> Geoff.

>
> Yes. Virtually all of my Nikkors have been purchased through KEH, and most
> of them were their "bargain" grade. They have all given me great service,
> and some of them looked (to me) as if they were brand new. For my money,
> KEH is the best used camera store there is. Certainly it is the best on
> line store I have found for used photographic equipment.


I would echo Mr Mendelson and Mr Graham with regard to KEH. Their grading
system IMHO, is rated low. I have bought a couple of "bargain" pieces, and
was very pleased with the items.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Hart1
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-23-2008, 01:02 AM

"J.Lef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7GS3l.545$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks to everyone for all the information. The prices have
> really gone down to almost nothing. I always thought they would grow in
> value, but then the digital age came in. I found one box so far, and
> here is whats in it, and not sue what one thing is.
>
> A Nikon black camera that has in the front of body, on the
> silver portion, a large letter F outlined, with lower down in black a
> solid Nikon. ( I know its a 35mm)
>
> It is in a two piece case, thats brown leather marked Nikon,
> with a crushed red velvet interior. The camera stays in the lower portion
> protected, and the bulbous top piece snapps off. It has a strap. (It all
> appears to be leather)


Generally referred to as an "ever-ready case"
>
> Still attached is a lens with cover, that says Lens made in
> Japan.
> It has lots of number markings on the outside, and the front part of the
> inside describes the lens as a " Zoom-NIKKOR Auto 1:3.5
> f=43mm(tilda)f=86 Nippon Kogaku
> Japan No. 456144
>
> There appears to be film in it also, as the counter is on 4.


Maybe, maybe not. The counter will advance with the winder lever whether
there is film in it or not. Try turning the rewind crank clockwise(the knob
at the other end of the camera from the film advance). If it stops turning,
then there is film in the camera.
>
> Also a small square brown package that says Nikon Focusing Screen Type F
> Made in Japan. And inside the cardboard box, is a square black frame with
> a square lens inside, protected by a form fitting thick spongelike
> protection.
> I have no idea what this is used for.


The focus screen is what you see when you look into the viewfinder. This
model apparently has an interchangeble focus screen- you can switch out the
one in the camera with the one in the box.
>
> Also another lens(or something) thats in a cylindrical type case, with a
> zipper half way down. It appears to be black, but I am not sure if its
> leather. The make on top of case says KIRON
> Inside is something I am not sure what it is, it looks like a
> double sided lens.
> It has two protective lens caps on either side. Everything is black metal.
> It says on it. KIRON MC7 2X TELECONVERTER FOR N/A1 JAPAN


You can remove the lens from the camera, mount the teleconverter, than mount
the lens onto the teleconverter. The focal length of the lens is now doubled
(but the light is cut in half).
>
> Also found a gift I received maybee ten or more years ago,
> but only once used.
> It looks like a 35mm point and shoot camera by LEICA.
> Its a rectangle, grey colored, a bit larger then todays
> digital camers. It has a Red Ball on fron with the Leica name in script
> in a gold color. It is raised, not painted.
> The camera is called the Leica mini, and says near the
> lens Leica Elmar
> 1:3.5/35 manufactured in Japan, with a serial number.
> I remember using it for a roll or two, but I had a fuji
> which I was very satisfied with. Oh year, the Leica has a soft leather or
> leatherette carying case.
>


I think they call that "re-gifting"!

> Well thats box number one Sorry if I wrote too much. Any
> feedback apprecited.
> Much regards
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comparison of New Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Nikon Mount vs. Older Nikon Normal Lenses jeremy Nikon 36 09-03-2006 03:50 PM
Nikon D50 and older Nikon lenses Fred Anonymous Nikon 4 07-05-2006 10:45 PM
Older Nikon Lenses on the D70 Digital SLR Ray Paseur Nikon 0 06-05-2004 01:28 PM
Fill flash with older Nikon flashes (SB-20) kabes Nikon 1 09-19-2003 07:18 PM