Photogtaphy Forums

Photography Forums > Camera Manufacturers > Panasonic Lumix > Panasonic DMC-FZ30K (Comments ????)

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Panasonic DMC-FZ30K (Comments ????)

 
 
QX
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      01-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Does anyone have comments on this camera? Use it currently?
It seems to be what I am looking for:
1. Primarily quick point & shoot to get action photos while hiking &
rock scrambling.
2. Option to go manual focus/time/f-stop for landscape shots.
3. Optical zoom.
4. Very doubtful I will purchase addtional lenses so don't need true
DSLR
All comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dennis Pogson
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      01-26-2006, 09:52 AM
QX wrote:
> Does anyone have comments on this camera? Use it currently?
> It seems to be what I am looking for:
> 1. Primarily quick point & shoot to get action photos while hiking &
> rock scrambling.
> 2. Option to go manual focus/time/f-stop for landscape shots.
> 3. Optical zoom.
> 4. Very doubtful I will purchase addtional lenses so don't need true
> DSLR
> All comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.


I don't think the FZ30 is a suitable camera for rock climbing, You need
something small, flat and lightweight, like a Nikon Coolpix or similar,
suitably protected.

The FZ30 is a super camera, but like Dibley, I am still learning from the
120-page manual.

Dennis.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
HornBlower
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      01-26-2006, 08:52 PM
I own one and love it. It is the best camera I have ever owned. The FZ20
being a close runner up. I moved to Panasonic from a Canon 20D which hated.

However, for rock climbing unless you are going to carry it in a bag on your
back until you get to the top. I think it s a bit big for that. In a bag on
your back, it would fine. Once you got to the top you could then get some
great photos. But, if you want to shoot on your way up, then you will want
something smaller. It won't be better, most small point and shoots leave a
lot to be desired. But, you have a limit because of the rock climbing. I
would still look at Panasonic. I think they are one of the most under-rated
camera makers.

Simply because they never made film cameras. Having made film cameras I
don't think is a good pre-requesit for making a good digital camera. In fact
I think companies like Canon and Nikon leave a lot to be desired when it
comes to their cameras. They seem to keep everything inline with film and
never seem to say "Hey, this is digital and not film, lets do this
different." Like getting rid of the mirror in the SLR's. They aren't needed
and only detract from the cameras.



"QX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone have comments on this camera? Use it currently?
> It seems to be what I am looking for:
> 1. Primarily quick point & shoot to get action photos while hiking &
> rock scrambling.
> 2. Option to go manual focus/time/f-stop for landscape shots.
> 3. Optical zoom.
> 4. Very doubtful I will purchase addtional lenses so don't need true
> DSLR
> All comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.



 
Reply With Quote
 
m II
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      01-27-2006, 02:50 AM
HornBlower wrote:

> They seem to keep everything inline with film and
> never seem to say "Hey, this is digital and not film, lets do this
> different." Like getting rid of the mirror in the SLR's. They aren't needed
> and only detract from the cameras.



A lot of people would disagree with you on that mirror business. I know
I do.





mike
 
Reply With Quote
 
HornBlower
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      01-27-2006, 06:31 AM
That is fine, but there are others to choose from that have the mirror if
one doesn't want to move out of the 19th and 20th century. When I think of
high tech it isn't because it uses 70+ year old technology.



"m II" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JTfCf.148450$km.140177@edtnps89...
> HornBlower wrote:
>
>> They seem to keep everything inline with film and never seem to say "Hey,
>> this is digital and not film, lets do this different." Like getting rid
>> of the mirror in the SLR's. They aren't needed and only detract from the
>> cameras.

>
>
> A lot of people would disagree with you on that mirror business. I know I
> do.
>
>
>
>
>
> mike



 
Reply With Quote
 
ant
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      01-28-2006, 03:41 AM
Kent Clarke wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> QX <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have comments on this camera? Use it currently?
>> It seems to be what I am looking for:
>> 1. Primarily quick point & shoot to get action photos while hiking &
>> rock scrambling.
>> 2. Option to go manual focus/time/f-stop for landscape shots.
>> 3. Optical zoom.
>> 4. Very doubtful I will purchase addtional lenses so don't need true
>> DSLR
>> All comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

>
> I've had one for about a month. Very good control layout, compared to
> most consumer digicams. Sharp lens; and stabilisation does make a
> difference in reducing the amount of motion blurring.


I bought one a few weeks back, after MUCH reserearch. And 42nd Ave sent it
without the SD card! So I could play with it, but only in a very limited
manner.
I notice the image stabilisation thing working in the viewfinder/screen
thing. I love the manual zoom, and then hte camera focusses for you. Very
nifty.

I got mine for much of the same reason as the OP. Especially as I didn't
need to change lenses so that functionality in an SLR wasn't necessary. Also
my brother has the new Canon 350 whatever-it-is. So I can steal that if
necessary.
Was going to get a Fuji S9000, and then this Lumix popped up.


--
ant



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Panasonic trying to disrupt sales the OM-D by offering up rumours ofa new, high-end Panasonic? RichA Digital Cameras 4 02-15-2012 01:16 PM
Panasonic FZ7 Accessories in stock at Panasonic.com J. Clarke Panasonic Lumix 0 05-12-2006 05:00 PM
Panasonic Vs Kodak Vs Minolta Vs Canon Nihal Panasonic Lumix 24 12-05-2004 03:45 AM
can i do this? panasonic dvd burner from my analogue panasonic 5100hs via s-video output? ace in indiana Professional Video Production 3 10-25-2004 02:34 PM