Photogtaphy Forums

Photography Forums > Photography Newsgroups > Software Archive > Professional Video Production > PC hardware requirements for HD video editing?

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

PC hardware requirements for HD video editing?

 
 
Beowulf
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
What computer PC system requirements are needed for easy, smooth video
editing of high definition video files (or is this an elusive imaginary
quest?). My friend and me want to get into indie filmmaking, soon will
buy Canon XH-A1 HD camcorders. But as we are experimenting with a 4 minute
130MB HD video clip off canon's website (about 2000x1000 resolution), we
are finding it very difficult to impossible to play back with or without
audio in various video editors (Adobe Premiere Pro, etc). WTF is needed
in order to edit HD video?

Current system is dual core Athlon 64 x2 4000+ cpu, 4GB RAM, SATA-2 400GB
hard drive (3Gb/sec), SLI motherboard with two nvidia GeForce 7900 GT
256MB graphics cards. I mean ****, what more is needed, do we need to
build a quad core system, set up RAID 0 (striped array)? Willing to do so,
just want to know what it takes to know what we are in for. Should we move
to Mac OS? Final Cut Pro? What?!? Any help appreciated, very frustrating.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Kujbida
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-08-2007, 02:40 PM
On Feb 8, 9:24 am, Beowulf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What computer PC system requirements are needed for easy, smooth video
> editing of high definition video files (or is this an elusive imaginary
> quest?). My friend and me want to get into indie filmmaking, soon will
> buy Canon XH-A1 HD camcorders. But as we are experimenting with a 4 minute
> 130MB HD video clip off canon's website (about 2000x1000 resolution), we
> are finding it very difficult to impossible to play back with or without
> audio in various video editors (Adobe Premiere Pro, etc). WTF is needed
> in order to edit HD video?
>
> Current system is dual core Athlon 64 x2 4000+ cpu, 4GB RAM, SATA-2 400GB
> hard drive (3Gb/sec), SLI motherboard with two nvidia GeForce 7900 GT
> 256MB graphics cards. I mean ****, what more is needed, do we need to
> build a quad core system, set up RAID 0 (striped array)? Willing to do so,
> just want to know what it takes to know what we are in for. Should we move
> to Mac OS? Final Cut Pro? What?!? Any help appreciated, very frustrating.




Your system should be powerful enough for HDV.
Download the trail of Vegas 7 and see if it works for you.
Details at http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/download/step2.asp?
DID=698

Mike

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
mmaker@my-deja.com
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-08-2007, 06:15 PM
On Feb 8, 2:24 pm, Beowulf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> WTF is needed
> in order to edit HD video?


3GHz Pentium-4, 1GB RAM, 7800GS, SATA/ATA100 drives. Works for me,
though it can't handle much in the way of real-time effects.

Four minutes of HD in 320MB sounds like it's using some high-
compression and complicated codec: maybe that's the problem.

Mark

 
Reply With Quote
 
Beowulf
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-09-2007, 12:54 PM
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 06:40:42 -0800, Mike Kujbida wrote:

> On Feb 8, 9:24 am, Beowulf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> What computer PC system requirements are needed for easy, smooth video
>> editing of high definition video files (or is this an elusive imaginary
>> quest?). My friend and me want to get into indie filmmaking, soon will
>> buy Canon XH-A1 HD camcorders. But as we are experimenting with a 4 minute
>> 130MB HD video clip off canon's website (about 2000x1000 resolution), we
>> are finding it very difficult to impossible to play back with or without
>> audio in various video editors (Adobe Premiere Pro, etc). WTF is needed
>> in order to edit HD video?
>>
>> Current system is dual core Athlon 64 x2 4000+ cpu, 4GB RAM, SATA-2 400GB
>> hard drive (3Gb/sec), SLI motherboard with two nvidia GeForce 7900 GT
>> 256MB graphics cards. I mean ****, what more is needed, do we need to
>> build a quad core system, set up RAID 0 (striped array)? Willing to do so,
>> just want to know what it takes to know what we are in for. Should we move
>> to Mac OS? Final Cut Pro? What?!? Any help appreciated, very frustrating.

>
>
>
> Your system should be powerful enough for HDV.
> Download the trail of Vegas 7 and see if it works for you.
> Details at http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/download/step2.asp?
> DID=698
>
> Mike


Exactly what I did yesterday, and guess what-- Vegas works perfect, does
exactly what I expected a video editing should do with my system. I love
vegas! I copy pasted a clip to create a two hour "movie", added additional
background music, etc. and it all works great! Turns out it was the
software, not my PC, that was the problem. Imagine, Vegas Movie Studio
softare, $89, works perfect, renders fast, etc. and Adobe Premiere Pro at
many times that cost works like crap at least on my system. More expensive
is not always "better".


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kujbida
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-09-2007, 10:59 PM

Beowulf wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 06:40:42 -0800, Mike Kujbida wrote:
>
>> On Feb 8, 9:24 am, Beowulf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> What computer PC system requirements are needed for easy, smooth
>>> video editing of high definition video files (or is this an elusive
>>> imaginary quest?). My friend and me want to get into indie
>>> filmmaking, soon will buy Canon XH-A1 HD camcorders. But as we are
>>> experimenting with a 4 minute 130MB HD video clip off canon's
>>> website (about 2000x1000 resolution), we are finding it very
>>> difficult to impossible to play back with or without audio in
>>> various video editors (Adobe Premiere Pro, etc). WTF is needed in
>>> order to edit HD video?
>>>
>>> Current system is dual core Athlon 64 x2 4000+ cpu, 4GB RAM, SATA-2
>>> 400GB hard drive (3Gb/sec), SLI motherboard with two nvidia GeForce
>>> 7900 GT 256MB graphics cards. I mean ****, what more is needed, do
>>> we need to build a quad core system, set up RAID 0 (striped array)?
>>> Willing to do so, just want to know what it takes to know what we
>>> are in for. Should we move to Mac OS? Final Cut Pro? What?!? Any
>>> help appreciated, very frustrating.

>>
>>
>>
>> Your system should be powerful enough for HDV.
>> Download the trail of Vegas 7 and see if it works for you.
>> Details at http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/download/step2.asp?
>> DID=698
>>
>> Mike

>
> Exactly what I did yesterday, and guess what-- Vegas works perfect,
> does exactly what I expected a video editing should do with my
> system. I love vegas! I copy pasted a clip to create a two hour
> "movie", added additional background music, etc. and it all works
> great! Turns out it was the software, not my PC, that was the
> problem. Imagine, Vegas Movie Studio softare, $89, works perfect,
> renders fast, etc. and Adobe Premiere Pro at many times that cost
> works like crap at least on my system. More expensive is not always
> "better".




Glad to hear that it worked for you. Welcome to the Vegas community.
If and when you're ready, you can upgrade to the full version of Vegas+DVD
Architect as there's an upgrade path for this.

Mike

 
Reply With Quote
 
Smarty
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Beowolf,

I owned Premiere since its' inception, and have lived with many versions of
it on the Mac and then the PC. I had tons of problems with it, pretty crappy
support from Adobe, and generally lackluster performance as well.

I have found several vastly better ways to handle HDV, and have never looked
back to Adobe or Premiere. Even though they now are re-entering the Mac
market once again with a Premiere designed to run on Intel Macs, all I can
say is....."who cares".....

Smarty




"Beowulf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 06:40:42 -0800, Mike Kujbida wrote:
>
>> On Feb 8, 9:24 am, Beowulf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> What computer PC system requirements are needed for easy, smooth video
>>> editing of high definition video files (or is this an elusive imaginary
>>> quest?). My friend and me want to get into indie filmmaking, soon will
>>> buy Canon XH-A1 HD camcorders. But as we are experimenting with a 4
>>> minute
>>> 130MB HD video clip off canon's website (about 2000x1000 resolution), we
>>> are finding it very difficult to impossible to play back with or without
>>> audio in various video editors (Adobe Premiere Pro, etc). WTF is needed
>>> in order to edit HD video?
>>>
>>> Current system is dual core Athlon 64 x2 4000+ cpu, 4GB RAM, SATA-2
>>> 400GB
>>> hard drive (3Gb/sec), SLI motherboard with two nvidia GeForce 7900 GT
>>> 256MB graphics cards. I mean ****, what more is needed, do we need to
>>> build a quad core system, set up RAID 0 (striped array)? Willing to do
>>> so,
>>> just want to know what it takes to know what we are in for. Should we
>>> move
>>> to Mac OS? Final Cut Pro? What?!? Any help appreciated, very
>>> frustrating.

>>
>>
>>
>> Your system should be powerful enough for HDV.
>> Download the trail of Vegas 7 and see if it works for you.
>> Details at http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/download/step2.asp?
>> DID=698
>>
>> Mike

>
> Exactly what I did yesterday, and guess what-- Vegas works perfect, does
> exactly what I expected a video editing should do with my system. I love
> vegas! I copy pasted a clip to create a two hour "movie", added additional
> background music, etc. and it all works great! Turns out it was the
> software, not my PC, that was the problem. Imagine, Vegas Movie Studio
> softare, $89, works perfect, renders fast, etc. and Adobe Premiere Pro at
> many times that cost works like crap at least on my system. More expensive
> is not always "better".
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Beowulf
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-12-2007, 02:24 PM
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 17:59:45 -0500, Mike Kujbida wrote:
> Glad to hear that it worked for you. Welcome to the Vegas community.
> If and when you're ready, you can upgrade to the full version of Vegas+DVD
> Architect as there's an upgrade path for this.
>



I had only one problem with Vegas yesterday (again this is the demo trial
version of Platinum). I tried a render of a two hour movie to .mov and I
told Vegas to render with highest quality (advanced options); I *might*
have tweaked a couple of other options, can not recall; anyhow, 8 hours
into an estimated 10 hour render (which seemed very slow-- the previous
render to mpeg2 took about 4 hrs) it stopped and said it could not write
to the drive (odd, since it is an almost empty 400GB SATA-2 drive. I hope
that was a fluke, or caused by my tweaks. I am trying the render again
this morning, this time just going with Vegas' defaults for the .mov
render. But other than that I am loving Vegas.

Just a question now to buy version 7 (current), or should I wait for a
version 8 (if a new version, i.e. version 8, just around the corner?)?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Beowulf
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-12-2007, 02:26 PM
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 18:43:43 -0500, Smarty wrote:
> I have found several vastly better ways to handle HDV, ...


Such as (can you list what ways you are doing-- I am looking to any
alternatives to Adobe Premiere-- I have not purchased any video editor
software yet).

 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-12-2007, 04:17 PM
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:24:47 -0600, in 'rec.video.production',
in article <Re: PC hardware requirements for HD video editing?>,
Beowulf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>Just a question now to buy version 7 (current), or should I wait for a
>version 8 (if a new version, i.e. version 8, just around the corner?)?


I wouldn't be surprised to see Vegas version 8 announced in two months
at NAB in April. If so, I would expect that it would include AVCHD
support, for those who care.

If you were to purchase version 7 now and version 8 is announced in a
couple of months, I'm sure that a low-cost upgrade path would be
offered.

--
Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
[Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]
Read Frank's thoughts on HDV at http://www.humanvalues.net/hdv/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Smarty
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Beowulf,

Vegas 7 and the lite version 'Vegas Movie Studio' are great alternatives, as
are Ulead's Video Studio 10 Plus which goes directly from HDV input to
edited and then authored HD-DVD disks for $89. The latter 2 suggestions are
really capable, much less expensive than Premiere, and very smooth HDV
tools.

For simple I-frame editing, by far the fastest and simplest HDV editor I
have ever used is VideoReDo. It handles the long GOP structure of HDV video
effortlessly, sells for about $50, and trims footage faster than anything
else out there.

I think Vegas 7.0d is just about the right balance of performance, features,
ease of use, and price, and consider this to be a really strong contender
for general purpose use by a more advanced user. If I could keep only one
HDV editor, this would be it.

Smarty


"Beowulf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 18:43:43 -0500, Smarty wrote:
>> I have found several vastly better ways to handle HDV, ...

>
> Such as (can you list what ways you are doing-- I am looking to any
> alternatives to Adobe Premiere-- I have not purchased any video editor
> software yet).
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Hardware] Older Hardware and large Current spec monitor Harry Putnam Amateur Video Production 6 12-14-2009 12:15 AM
Hardware requirements for Photoshop CS3 JasonB Photoshop 4 08-19-2007 08:09 PM
video editing requirements b Amateur Video Production 3 08-04-2004 08:42 PM
video production setup requirements Tsotsi Amateur Video Production 6 07-05-2004 10:45 AM
Basic hardware requirements for Mac? Cloy Tobola Amateur Video Production 5 04-28-2004 06:26 AM