Photogtaphy Forums

Photography Forums > Photography Newsgroups > Software Archive > Photoshop > Photoshop CS3 and Canon 60D

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Photoshop CS3 and Canon 60D

 
 
PeteR
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-25-2010, 06:19 AM
I'm considering upgrading my Canon 40D to a 60D but I concerned that
Photoshop CS3 may not be able to read the 60D's RAW files.
I'm happy with CS3 (or more the point I can't afford upgrading to CS5/6
*and* buy the camera) but if there isn't a RAW update for the 60D and CS3
then I probably won't buy the camera, not yet anyway.

Any facts about this out there?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Passaneau
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-25-2010, 12:49 PM
On 10/25/2010 2:19 AM, PeteR wrote:
> I'm considering upgrading my Canon 40D to a 60D but I concerned that
> Photoshop CS3 may not be able to read the 60D's RAW files.
> I'm happy with CS3 (or more the point I can't afford upgrading to CS5/6
> *and* buy the camera) but if there isn't a RAW update for the 60D and CS3
> then I probably won't buy the camera, not yet anyway.
>
> Any facts about this out there?
>
>
>

You are correct that CS3 will not directly read the 60D raw files, ever!
But there is a easy and free way to get them into CS3. Adobe give away
their Raw to DNG converter. Down load the latest version, convert the
RAW to DNG and CS3 will be able to process them just fine. And
converting to DNG in no way compromises the data in your RAW files.
Even though my version of Photoshop supports all my cameras, I always
convert my RAW files to DNG and though not favored by some, I discard
the RAW files.

Good Luck

John Passaneau
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-26-2010, 08:25 PM
"PeteR" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I'm considering upgrading my Canon 40D to a 60D but I concerned that
> Photoshop CS3 may not be able to read the 60D's RAW files.


Get the free DNG converter, then CS3 raw will be good to go.

> I'm happy with CS3 (or more the point I can't afford upgrading to CS5/6
> *and* buy the camera) but if there isn't a RAW update for the 60D and CS3
> then I probably won't buy the camera, not yet anyway.
>
> Any facts about this out there?



--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.graphics.photoshop...)
 
Reply With Quote
 
hbj@home.nl
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-27-2010, 04:21 AM
EOS 60D won't be supported in CS3.
It is only in ACR 6.2 0r 6.3 (=CS5)

Sorry, but the 60D is a perfect camera and worth the upgrade to CS5 or
LR 3

hbj

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:25:05 -0400, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"PeteR" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I'm considering upgrading my Canon 40D to a 60D but I concerned that
>> Photoshop CS3 may not be able to read the 60D's RAW files.

>
>Get the free DNG converter, then CS3 raw will be good to go.
>
>> I'm happy with CS3 (or more the point I can't afford upgrading to CS5/6
>> *and* buy the camera) but if there isn't a RAW update for the 60D and CS3
>> then I probably won't buy the camera, not yet anyway.
>>
>> Any facts about this out there?

 
Reply With Quote
 
John Passaneau
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-27-2010, 11:59 AM
On 10/27/2010 12:21 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> EOS 60D won't be supported in CS3.
> It is only in ACR 6.2 0r 6.3 (=CS5)
>
> Sorry, but the 60D is a perfect camera and worth the upgrade to CS5 or
> LR 3
>
> hbj
>
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:25:05 -0400,<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "PeteR"<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> I'm considering upgrading my Canon 40D to a 60D but I concerned that
>>> Photoshop CS3 may not be able to read the 60D's RAW files.

>>
>> Get the free DNG converter, then CS3 raw will be good to go.
>>
>>> I'm happy with CS3 (or more the point I can't afford upgrading to CS5/6
>>> *and* buy the camera) but if there isn't a RAW update for the 60D and CS3
>>> then I probably won't buy the camera, not yet anyway.
>>>
>>> Any facts about this out there?


Adobe considers CS3 to be an obsolete version. After the next version is
out they will never issue an update for any prevision version. They will
also never issue a update to camera raw for anything but the current
version of Photoshop.
This is the long term policy of Adobe. You have 2 choices, 1 use the
free DNG converter to convert to DNG and then CS3 will be able to load
the photo or 2 used the software that comes with the 60d to convert to a
file that can be loaded. I would suggest TIF. This has some
possibilities as Adobe doesn't read anything but white balanced from the
camera. If you say shoot B@W in camera when you load it into Photoshop
it will be in color. My opinion its better to do things like that in
Photoshop but many people are infatuated with the various camera styles
that their camera produce.

Note that my upgrade from CS4 to CS5 cost $100, if you wait to CS6 to
upgrade you will be required to pay the full cost as Adobe will only
upgrade 3 versions back.

Photo shop user since version 6

John Passaneau
 
Reply With Quote
 
PeteR
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-27-2010, 09:02 PM

"John Passaneau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ia947a$ng16$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 10/27/2010 12:21 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> EOS 60D won't be supported in CS3.
>> It is only in ACR 6.2 0r 6.3 (=CS5)
>>
>> Sorry, but the 60D is a perfect camera and worth the upgrade to CS5 or
>> LR 3
>>
>> hbj
>>
>> On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:25:05 -0400,<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> "PeteR"<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>>
>>>> I'm considering upgrading my Canon 40D to a 60D but I concerned that
>>>> Photoshop CS3 may not be able to read the 60D's RAW files.
>>>
>>> Get the free DNG converter, then CS3 raw will be good to go.
>>>
>>>> I'm happy with CS3 (or more the point I can't afford upgrading to CS5/6
>>>> *and* buy the camera) but if there isn't a RAW update for the 60D and
>>>> CS3
>>>> then I probably won't buy the camera, not yet anyway.
>>>>
>>>> Any facts about this out there?

>
> Adobe considers CS3 to be an obsolete version. After the next version is
> out they will never issue an update for any prevision version. They will
> also never issue a update to camera raw for anything but the current
> version of Photoshop.
> This is the long term policy of Adobe. You have 2 choices, 1 use the free
> DNG converter to convert to DNG and then CS3 will be able to load the
> photo or 2 used the software that comes with the 60d to convert to a file
> that can be loaded. I would suggest TIF. This has some possibilities as
> Adobe doesn't read anything but white balanced from the camera. If you say
> shoot B@W in camera when you load it into Photoshop it will be in color.
> My opinion its better to do things like that in Photoshop but many people
> are infatuated with the various camera styles that their camera produce.
>
> Note that my upgrade from CS4 to CS5 cost $100, if you wait to CS6 to
> upgrade you will be required to pay the full cost as Adobe will only
> upgrade 3 versions back.
>
> Photo shop user since version 6
>
> John Passaneau


Thanks for the information. I might wait a bit for the camera and upgrade to
CS5 now.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon D7000 vs. Canon Eos 60D Alan Lichtenstein Digital Cameras 8 07-13-2011 04:42 PM
Video from my Canon 60D Mekon Digital SLR 3 05-20-2011 07:34 PM
Video from my Canon EOS 60D Mekon Digital Cameras 2 05-20-2011 02:27 PM
Using Generic LP-E6 battery packs in a Canon 60D PeteR Australia Photography 6 10-30-2010 10:14 AM
Using Generic LP-E6 battery packs in a Canon 60D PeteR Photography 0 10-25-2010 06:07 AM