Photogtaphy Forums

Photography Forums > Photography Newsgroups > Software Archive > Amateur Video Production > Renaming VOB sets?

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Renaming VOB sets?

 
 
Terry Pinnell
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Is it possible to methodically rename a set of DVD files like this

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_1.VOB

to meaningful names?

If I work on several files from different VOB sets in my video editor,
it's hard work identifying which is which. Is there some consistent
renaming structure I can apply so that everything still works OK? My
experiments so far haven't hit a winning combination ;-(

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Smarty
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-07-2011, 09:33 PM
On 11/7/2011 10:54 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
> Is it possible to methodically rename a set of DVD files like this
>
> VIDEO_TS.BUP
> VIDEO_TS.IFO
> VIDEO_TS.VOB
> VTS_01_0.BUP
> VTS_01_0.IFO
> VTS_01_1.VOB
>
> to meaningful names?
>
> If I work on several files from different VOB sets in my video editor,
> it's hard work identifying which is which. Is there some consistent
> renaming structure I can apply so that everything still works OK? My
> experiments so far haven't hit a winning combination ;-(
>

Terry,

It has been quite a while since I have been working with DVD / mpeg2
content, since I switched to h.264 quite a few years ago, but I found
that a free program called vob2mpeg did a wonderful job of joining vobs
and creating a setting of mpeg2 files which can then be directly used in
your editing software.

Since this program does NOT transcode or convert content, but only joins
the files in the correct manner, you merely have to work with mpeg2
files which no longer contain any reference to the original file
structure, vobs, ifos, bups, etc.

The free version should work fine, but the PRO version for a small fee
may have extra features you eventually may wish to add.

See:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG



Hope this helps!

Smarty


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brian
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-08-2011, 03:10 AM
Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is it possible to methodically rename a set of DVD files like this
>
> VIDEO_TS.BUP
> VIDEO_TS.IFO
> VIDEO_TS.VOB
> VTS_01_0.BUP
> VTS_01_0.IFO
> VTS_01_1.VOB
>
> to meaningful names?
>
> If I work on several files from different VOB sets in my video editor,
> it's hard work identifying which is which. Is there some consistent
> renaming structure I can apply so that everything still works OK? My
> experiments so far haven't hit a winning combination ;-(


I don't understand why you would want to work on the list of files above
using a video editor. It would be better to create a single file such as
avi, mpg, etc from the files that you have listed using a converter. The
last event is creating a movie to watch on DVD is to create the files you
have listed, you seem to be working from the end of the process.

--
Regards Brian
 
Reply With Quote
 
Terry Pinnell
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Is it possible to methodically rename a set of DVD files like this
>>
>> VIDEO_TS.BUP
>> VIDEO_TS.IFO
>> VIDEO_TS.VOB
>> VTS_01_0.BUP
>> VTS_01_0.IFO
>> VTS_01_1.VOB
>>
>> to meaningful names?
>>
>> If I work on several files from different VOB sets in my video editor,
>> it's hard work identifying which is which. Is there some consistent
>> renaming structure I can apply so that everything still works OK? My
>> experiments so far haven't hit a winning combination ;-(

>
>I don't understand why you would want to work on the list of files above
>using a video editor. It would be better to create a single file such as
>avi, mpg, etc from the files that you have listed using a converter. The
>last event is creating a movie to watch on DVD is to create the files you
>have listed, you seem to be working from the end of the process.


Thanks both, appreciate the suggestions. However, my requirement remains!

For my more recently made DVDs I always now make an MP4 first, which I use
for viewing wirelessly on my HD TV (via a WDTV unit), at higher quality
than the DVD provides.

BTW, the main reason I make DVDs at all nowadays is so that friends and
relatives can view the videos. But there are some secondary reasons too:
Such as extra backup. And because I rather like making the front and rear
covers. And because that's the only way to get a well-organised MENU,
which is not possible with MPG, MP4, etc.

So, any work I later do which needs footage from one of those recent DVDs
obviously uses the MP4, not the VOB set.

BUT that doesn't apply to the hundred or so earlier ones. I've long
intended to methodically make MP4s from these too, but never got around to
that major project. And there's little motivation, as I can play any VOB
set via my WDTV too.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
 
Reply With Quote
 
GaryT
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-08-2011, 02:57 PM

"Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Is it possible to methodically rename a set of DVD files like this
>>>
>>> VIDEO_TS.BUP
>>> VIDEO_TS.IFO
>>> VIDEO_TS.VOB
>>> VTS_01_0.BUP
>>> VTS_01_0.IFO
>>> VTS_01_1.VOB
>>>
>>> to meaningful names?
>>>
>>> If I work on several files from different VOB sets in my video editor,
>>> it's hard work identifying which is which. Is there some consistent
>>> renaming structure I can apply so that everything still works OK? My
>>> experiments so far haven't hit a winning combination ;-(

>>
>>I don't understand why you would want to work on the list of files above
>>using a video editor. It would be better to create a single file such as
>>avi, mpg, etc from the files that you have listed using a converter. The
>>last event is creating a movie to watch on DVD is to create the files you
>>have listed, you seem to be working from the end of the process.

>
> Thanks both, appreciate the suggestions. However, my requirement remains!
>
> For my more recently made DVDs I always now make an MP4 first, which I use
> for viewing wirelessly on my HD TV (via a WDTV unit), at higher quality
> than the DVD provides.
>
> BTW, the main reason I make DVDs at all nowadays is so that friends and
> relatives can view the videos. But there are some secondary reasons too:
> Such as extra backup. And because I rather like making the front and rear
> covers. And because that's the only way to get a well-organised MENU,
> which is not possible with MPG, MP4, etc.
>
> So, any work I later do which needs footage from one of those recent DVDs
> obviously uses the MP4, not the VOB set.
>
> BUT that doesn't apply to the hundred or so earlier ones. I've long
> intended to methodically make MP4s from these too, but never got around to
> that major project. And there's little motivation, as I can play any VOB
> set via my WDTV too.
>
> --
> Terry, East Grinstead, UK


It sounds like you did not retain the original source material that you used
to create those older DVDs. If you have the compatible NLE software, the
project files and source material, you could output directly to whatever
format you need (or something easily convertable) and not have to start with
the already compressed VOBs. Otherwise it looks like the VOB2MPG program
Smarty suggested is a good bet.

Gary


 
Reply With Quote
 
clover
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-08-2011, 09:09 PM
On 11/7/2011 7:54 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
> Is it possible to methodically rename a set of DVD files like this
>
> VIDEO_TS.BUP
> VIDEO_TS.IFO
> VIDEO_TS.VOB
> VTS_01_0.BUP
> VTS_01_0.IFO
> VTS_01_1.VOB
>
> to meaningful names?
>
> If I work on several files from different VOB sets in my video editor,
> it's hard work identifying which is which. Is there some consistent
> renaming structure I can apply so that everything still works OK? My
> experiments so far haven't hit a winning combination ;-(
>


Years ago, when there were only 20 Bond movies, I made a new DVD of just
the opening title sequences from each. So I understand your plight, as
there were twenty files named VTS_01_1.VOB involved. Never-the-less, I
assume your "editor" is actually an authoring program, or you'll be
without a menu - which may or may not be desired. I've also used
VideoReDo to work with VOBs and they need not be in a DVD structure for
VRD to deal with them. But I've not used VRD's TV suite, which makes
DVDs, and presumably menus too? I mention VRD because you can simply
extract the pertinent VOBs from your DVDs and rename them as you see fit
(including the extension) before editing them with VRD. I expect this
would also be true of their TV suite.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Terry Pinnell
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-10-2011, 01:34 PM
"GaryT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>> Is it possible to methodically rename a set of DVD files like this
>>>>
>>>> VIDEO_TS.BUP
>>>> VIDEO_TS.IFO
>>>> VIDEO_TS.VOB
>>>> VTS_01_0.BUP
>>>> VTS_01_0.IFO
>>>> VTS_01_1.VOB
>>>>
>>>> to meaningful names?
>>>>
>>>> If I work on several files from different VOB sets in my video editor,
>>>> it's hard work identifying which is which. Is there some consistent
>>>> renaming structure I can apply so that everything still works OK? My
>>>> experiments so far haven't hit a winning combination ;-(
>>>
>>>I don't understand why you would want to work on the list of files above
>>>using a video editor. It would be better to create a single file such as
>>>avi, mpg, etc from the files that you have listed using a converter. The
>>>last event is creating a movie to watch on DVD is to create the files you
>>>have listed, you seem to be working from the end of the process.

>>
>> Thanks both, appreciate the suggestions. However, my requirement remains!
>>
>> For my more recently made DVDs I always now make an MP4 first, which I use
>> for viewing wirelessly on my HD TV (via a WDTV unit), at higher quality
>> than the DVD provides.
>>
>> BTW, the main reason I make DVDs at all nowadays is so that friends and
>> relatives can view the videos. But there are some secondary reasons too:
>> Such as extra backup. And because I rather like making the front and rear
>> covers. And because that's the only way to get a well-organised MENU,
>> which is not possible with MPG, MP4, etc.
>>
>> So, any work I later do which needs footage from one of those recent DVDs
>> obviously uses the MP4, not the VOB set.
>>
>> BUT that doesn't apply to the hundred or so earlier ones. I've long
>> intended to methodically make MP4s from these too, but never got around to
>> that major project. And there's little motivation, as I can play any VOB
>> set via my WDTV too.
>>
>> --
>> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

>
>It sounds like you did not retain the original source material that you used
>to create those older DVDs. If you have the compatible NLE software, the
>project files and source material, you could output directly to whatever
>format you need (or something easily convertable) and not have to start with
>the already compressed VOBs. Otherwise it looks like the VOB2MPG program
>Smarty suggested is a good bet.
>
>Gary
>


While it's true that I don't have all the original material for all the
DVDS, why would that help with my stated requirement?

And if I can't find the time to simply convert 150 or so VOB sets to
single MP4s, I sure couldn't find time to redo all 150 original projects!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
 
Reply With Quote
 
Terry Pinnell
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-10-2011, 01:42 PM
clover <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11/7/2011 7:54 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>> Is it possible to methodically rename a set of DVD files like this
>>
>> VIDEO_TS.BUP
>> VIDEO_TS.IFO
>> VIDEO_TS.VOB
>> VTS_01_0.BUP
>> VTS_01_0.IFO
>> VTS_01_1.VOB
>>
>> to meaningful names?
>>
>> If I work on several files from different VOB sets in my video editor,
>> it's hard work identifying which is which. Is there some consistent
>> renaming structure I can apply so that everything still works OK? My
>> experiments so far haven't hit a winning combination ;-(
>>

>
>Years ago, when there were only 20 Bond movies, I made a new DVD of just
>the opening title sequences from each. So I understand your plight, as
>there were twenty files named VTS_01_1.VOB involved. Never-the-less, I
>assume your "editor" is actually an authoring program, or you'll be
>without a menu - which may or may not be desired. I've also used
>VideoReDo to work with VOBs and they need not be in a DVD structure for
>VRD to deal with them. But I've not used VRD's TV suite, which makes
>DVDs, and presumably menus too? I mention VRD because you can simply
>extract the pertinent VOBs from your DVDs and rename them as you see fit
>(including the extension) before editing them with VRD. I expect this
>would also be true of their TV suite.
>


Thanks. I do have Video Redo Plus (but not the TV Suite version) and
occasionally use it for extracting sections from finished DVDs.

But the requirement in this case is simply to *rename* the VOBs, so that I
can *identify* them when a mixed bunch are sitting on the timeline of my
video editor (Magix MovieEdit Pro 17 Plus).

I had hoped that for a VOB set held inside a folder called say
1998-Holidays, I could change
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_1.VOB
to something meaningful, with '1998-Holidays' prominent in each name.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
 
Reply With Quote
 
clover
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-10-2011, 06:10 PM
On 11/10/2011 5:42 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
> clover<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 11/7/2011 7:54 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>> Is it possible to methodically rename a set of DVD files like this
>>>
>>> VIDEO_TS.BUP
>>> VIDEO_TS.IFO
>>> VIDEO_TS.VOB
>>> VTS_01_0.BUP
>>> VTS_01_0.IFO
>>> VTS_01_1.VOB
>>>
>>> to meaningful names?
>>>
>>> If I work on several files from different VOB sets in my video editor,
>>> it's hard work identifying which is which. Is there some consistent
>>> renaming structure I can apply so that everything still works OK? My
>>> experiments so far haven't hit a winning combination ;-(
>>>

>>
>> Years ago, when there were only 20 Bond movies, I made a new DVD of just
>> the opening title sequences from each. So I understand your plight, as
>> there were twenty files named VTS_01_1.VOB involved. Never-the-less, I
>> assume your "editor" is actually an authoring program, or you'll be
>> without a menu - which may or may not be desired. I've also used
>> VideoReDo to work with VOBs and they need not be in a DVD structure for
>> VRD to deal with them. But I've not used VRD's TV suite, which makes
>> DVDs, and presumably menus too? I mention VRD because you can simply
>> extract the pertinent VOBs from your DVDs and rename them as you see fit
>> (including the extension) before editing them with VRD. I expect this
>> would also be true of their TV suite.
>>

>
> Thanks. I do have Video Redo Plus (but not the TV Suite version) and
> occasionally use it for extracting sections from finished DVDs.
>
> But the requirement in this case is simply to *rename* the VOBs, so that I
> can *identify* them when a mixed bunch are sitting on the timeline of my
> video editor (Magix MovieEdit Pro 17 Plus).
>
> I had hoped that for a VOB set held inside a folder called say
> 1998-Holidays, I could change
> VIDEO_TS.BUP
> VIDEO_TS.IFO
> VIDEO_TS.VOB
> VTS_01_0.BUP
> VTS_01_0.IFO
> VTS_01_1.VOB
> to something meaningful, with '1998-Holidays' prominent in each name.
>

You absolutely may, as long as your editor, MMP 17+, does not insist on
DVD conformity. Check this out
(http://www.den4b.com/?x=products&product=renamer) as a tool for making
it easier.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Terry Pinnell
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-11-2011, 08:10 AM
clover <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11/10/2011 5:42 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>> clover<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> On 11/7/2011 7:54 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>>> Is it possible to methodically rename a set of DVD files like this
>>>>
>>>> VIDEO_TS.BUP
>>>> VIDEO_TS.IFO
>>>> VIDEO_TS.VOB
>>>> VTS_01_0.BUP
>>>> VTS_01_0.IFO
>>>> VTS_01_1.VOB
>>>>
>>>> to meaningful names?
>>>>
>>>> If I work on several files from different VOB sets in my video editor,
>>>> it's hard work identifying which is which. Is there some consistent
>>>> renaming structure I can apply so that everything still works OK? My
>>>> experiments so far haven't hit a winning combination ;-(
>>>>
>>>
>>> Years ago, when there were only 20 Bond movies, I made a new DVD of just
>>> the opening title sequences from each. So I understand your plight, as
>>> there were twenty files named VTS_01_1.VOB involved. Never-the-less, I
>>> assume your "editor" is actually an authoring program, or you'll be
>>> without a menu - which may or may not be desired. I've also used
>>> VideoReDo to work with VOBs and they need not be in a DVD structure for
>>> VRD to deal with them. But I've not used VRD's TV suite, which makes
>>> DVDs, and presumably menus too? I mention VRD because you can simply
>>> extract the pertinent VOBs from your DVDs and rename them as you see fit
>>> (including the extension) before editing them with VRD. I expect this
>>> would also be true of their TV suite.
>>>

>>
>> Thanks. I do have Video Redo Plus (but not the TV Suite version) and
>> occasionally use it for extracting sections from finished DVDs.
>>
>> But the requirement in this case is simply to *rename* the VOBs, so that I
>> can *identify* them when a mixed bunch are sitting on the timeline of my
>> video editor (Magix MovieEdit Pro 17 Plus).
>>
>> I had hoped that for a VOB set held inside a folder called say
>> 1998-Holidays, I could change
>> VIDEO_TS.BUP
>> VIDEO_TS.IFO
>> VIDEO_TS.VOB
>> VTS_01_0.BUP
>> VTS_01_0.IFO
>> VTS_01_1.VOB
>> to something meaningful, with '1998-Holidays' prominent in each name.
>>

>You absolutely may, as long as your editor, MMP 17+, does not insist on
>DVD conformity. Check this out
>(http://www.den4b.com/?x=products&product=renamer) as a tool for making
>it easier.


As you've done it successfully, maybe you could spell out the renaming
rules please? And give an example of the before and after names?

I know how to rename files and I have a handy program already (several in
fact), but that's not the issue!

I've tried various changes, and all so far failed. For example, take the
original set:

VIDEO_TS.BUP 12 KB
VIDEO_TS.IFO 12 KB
VIDEO_TS.VOB 9,042 KB
VTS_01_0.BUP 26 KB
VTS_01_0.IFO 26 KB
VTS_01_1.VOB 986,652 KB

Neither this

NewName-VIDEO_TS.BUP
NewName-VIDEO_TS.IFO
NewName-VIDEO_TS.VOB
NewName-VTS_01_0.BUP
NewName-VTS_01_0.IFO
NewName-VTS_01_1.VOB

nor this

NewName_VIDEO_TS.BUP
NewName_VIDEO_TS.IFO
NewName_VIDEO_TS.VOB
NewName_VTS_01_0.BUP
NewName_VTS_01_0.IFO
NewName_VTS_01_1.VOB

nor various others were successful.

For all cases I tested in various ways:

1. R-clicking the containing folder and choosing 'Play with VLC media
player', which should play the menu and await the user.

2. Double-clicking the VIDEO_TS IFO, whatever its new name, which should
do as above (because I have IFO associated with VLC).

3. R-clicking that same VIDEO_TS IFO and choosing to open it with another
player, such as MPC, MediaPlayer Classic Home Cinema, PowerDVD, etc.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renaming files Toa Digital SLR 6 07-27-2005 01:47 AM
Digital Photo Image File Renaming Vladimir Veytsel Photography 3 11-06-2003 09:25 PM
Digital Photo Image File Renaming Vladimir Veytsel Photography 0 10-02-2003 12:46 AM
Digital Photo Image File Renaming Vladimir Veytsel Photography 1 09-09-2003 01:03 AM
Digital Photo Image File Renaming Vladimir Veytsel Photography 0 08-04-2003 02:16 AM