Photogtaphy Forums

Photography Forums > Photography Newsgroups > Photography Archive > Digital Cameras > S410 or SD300?

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

S410 or SD300?

 
 
Terry
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-14-2004, 04:07 AM
My wife wants a very compact point & shoot digital camera. The new Canon
SD300 looks very appealing. DCRESOURCE.COM seems to favor the older S410
slightly over the newer model. The smaller size and larger LCD make the 300
attractive. The 410 has a lower price and maybe a slight difference in
image quality. Anybody have first hand experience with these two models?

I have a camera that uses CF cards as does the S410, and I have extra memory
cards. The SD300 uses SDcards, and buy.com has 256MB cards for $12 after a
rebate, so that is not a big consideration. Any educated opinions out
there?

--
Terry
Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charles
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-14-2004, 04:50 AM
In article <voudnZE488uSRwvcRVn-(E-Mail Removed)>, Terry
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My wife wants a very compact point & shoot digital camera. The new Canon
> SD300 looks very appealing. DCRESOURCE.COM seems to favor the older S410
> slightly over the newer model. The smaller size and larger LCD make the 300
> attractive. The 410 has a lower price and maybe a slight difference in
> image quality. Anybody have first hand experience with these two models?


I just picked up a SD300 a few days ago. I have a S400 which is
similiar to the S410. I would say the image quality of the SD300 is
about the same as my S400. The SD-300 is faster and smaller. I think
the SD-300 is the way to go for an ultra compact camera. I really like
it. It might not make much difference for your wife since she would
probably keep in a purse but the size of the SD-300 is an advantage for
a pocket.

> I have a camera that uses CF cards as does the S410, and I have extra memory
> cards. The SD300 uses SDcards, and buy.com has 256MB cards for $12 after a
> rebate, so that is not a big consideration. Any educated opinions out
> there?


I purchased a 512MB Sandisk Ultra II Card. I like a larger card and the
Ultra card is recommended for the movie mode.

--
Charles
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Terry
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Thanks to you both. The SD300 it is. I think she would like it better
because of the larger LCD and smaller size.

--
Terry
Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.
"Gary Hendricks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi
>
> The SD300 is a newer model, yes. It is slightly faster than the S410.
> Picture quality wise, the two are about the same. But I'd recommend
> the SD300 since it is a newer model.
>
> Gary
> www.basic-digital-photography.com
>
>
> Charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<131120042350339781%(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> In article <voudnZE488uSRwvcRVn-(E-Mail Removed)>, Terry
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > My wife wants a very compact point & shoot digital camera. The new
>> > Canon
>> > SD300 looks very appealing. DCRESOURCE.COM seems to favor the older
>> > S410
>> > slightly over the newer model. The smaller size and larger LCD make
>> > the 300
>> > attractive. The 410 has a lower price and maybe a slight difference in
>> > image quality. Anybody have first hand experience with these two
>> > models?

>>
>> I just picked up a SD300 a few days ago. I have a S400 which is
>> similiar to the S410. I would say the image quality of the SD300 is
>> about the same as my S400. The SD-300 is faster and smaller. I think
>> the SD-300 is the way to go for an ultra compact camera. I really like
>> it. It might not make much difference for your wife since she would
>> probably keep in a purse but the size of the SD-300 is an advantage for
>> a pocket.
>>
>> > I have a camera that uses CF cards as does the S410, and I have extra
>> > memory
>> > cards. The SD300 uses SDcards, and buy.com has 256MB cards for $12
>> > after a
>> > rebate, so that is not a big consideration. Any educated opinions out
>> > there?

>>
>> I purchased a 512MB Sandisk Ultra II Card. I like a larger card and the
>> Ultra card is recommended for the movie mode.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High-speed CompactFlash for Canon S410 Ed Swierk Canon 1 07-02-2004 08:41 PM
BEST CHOICE: Canon IXUS 430 (S410), Nikon Coolpix 4200 or Minolta Dimage G400? Etienne Jacobs Nikon 0 06-23-2004 05:43 PM
Opinion of Canon S400/S410 as second camera Steven Wandy Canon 4 05-02-2004 04:18 PM
PowerShot S410 hrvoje Digital Cameras 1 04-14-2004 06:21 PM
Canon S410 no improvement in red eye? peter Canon 0 02-10-2004 04:00 PM