Panasonic getting close to the perfect micro 4/3rds

Discussion in 'Digital SLR' started by RichA, May 12, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Despite the button reduction, this looks like a genuine upgrade from
    the noisy old G sensored-bodies. I know the sensor isn't 16:9 (I
    prefer 4:3 for still images) but I hope it's the same calibre as the
    GH2 has.

    http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-g3-leaked/
     
    RichA, May 12, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >Despite the button reduction, this looks like a genuine upgrade from
    >the noisy old G sensored-bodies. I know the sensor isn't 16:9 (I
    >prefer 4:3 for still images) but I hope it's the same calibre as the
    >GH2 has.
    >http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-g3-leaked/



    There's a useful G3 review by the respected Angela Nicholson here:
    http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

    I particularly like the "Pinpoint" AF mode which will be particularly
    useful for portraiture.
     
    Bruce, May 12, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce <> wrote:
    >RichA <> wrote:
    >>Despite the button reduction, this looks like a genuine upgrade from
    >>the noisy old G sensored-bodies. I know the sensor isn't 16:9 (I
    >>prefer 4:3 for still images) but I hope it's the same calibre as the
    >>GH2 has.
    >>http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-g3-leaked/

    >
    >
    >There's a useful G3 review by the respected Angela Nicholson here:
    >http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/
    >
    >I particularly like the "Pinpoint" AF mode which will be particularly
    >useful for portraiture.



    This interview with Panasonic about the Micro Four Thirds product
    range is also interesting:
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/68aasjl
     
    Bruce, May 12, 2011
    #3
  4. RichA

    Bowser Guest

    On 5/11/2011 8:09 PM, RichA wrote:
    > Despite the button reduction, this looks like a genuine upgrade from
    > the noisy old G sensored-bodies. I know the sensor isn't 16:9 (I
    > prefer 4:3 for still images) but I hope it's the same calibre as the
    > GH2 has.
    >
    > http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-g3-leaked/
    >


    I'll be convinced when I can play with a few RAW files.
     
    Bowser, May 12, 2011
    #4
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 12, 8:46 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    > On 5/11/2011 8:09 PM, RichA wrote:
    >
    > > Despite the button reduction, this looks like a  genuine upgrade from
    > > the noisy old G sensored-bodies.  I know the sensor isn't 16:9 (I
    > > prefer 4:3 for still images) but I hope it's the same calibre as the
    > > GH2 has.

    >
    > >http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-g3-leaked/

    >
    > I'll be convinced when I can play with a few RAW files.


    Based on the samples provided by Dpreview and the 160 ISO lowest
    speed, I would say this is the same sensor tech as the GH2.
     
    RichA, May 12, 2011
    #5
  6. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 12, 6:12 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Bruce <> wrote:
    > >RichA <> wrote:
    > >>Despite the button reduction, this looks like a  genuine upgrade from
    > >>the noisy old G sensored-bodies.  I know the sensor isn't 16:9 (I
    > >>prefer 4:3 for still images) but I hope it's the same calibre as the
    > >>GH2 has.
    > >>http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-g3-leaked/

    >
    > >There's a useful G3 review by the respected Angela Nicholson here:
    > >http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

    >
    > >I particularly like the "Pinpoint" AF mode which will be particularly
    > >useful for portraiture.

    >
    > This interview with Panasonic about the Micro Four Thirds product
    > range is also interesting:http://preview.tinyurl.com/68aasjl


    It's faint, but I can hear the hammering of the nails into the mirror-
    DSLR coffin, based on their statements. It makes sense. Olympus says
    that the technology of mirrorless isn't quite where it has to be to
    circumvent DSLR's yet, but Panasonic's focus system in the GH product
    is so good that they are headed in that direction. The last link will
    be the ability of the EVF system to update fast during action and of
    course the ability of the focus to track movement the way a DSLR can.
    This could be a problem as it requires powerful lens motors and that
    means larger lenses. I've seen technology that allows for smaller but
    more powerful motors, but it's too expensive for consumer cameras so
    the bulky motors they now use will be around for a while.
     
    RichA, May 12, 2011
    #6
  7. RichA

    Bowser Guest

    On 5/12/2011 9:17 AM, RichA wrote:
    > On May 12, 8:46 am, Bowser<> wrote:
    >> On 5/11/2011 8:09 PM, RichA wrote:
    >>
    >>> Despite the button reduction, this looks like a genuine upgrade from
    >>> the noisy old G sensored-bodies. I know the sensor isn't 16:9 (I
    >>> prefer 4:3 for still images) but I hope it's the same calibre as the
    >>> GH2 has.

    >>
    >>> http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-g3-leaked/

    >>
    >> I'll be convinced when I can play with a few RAW files.

    >
    > Based on the samples provided by Dpreview and the 160 ISO lowest
    > speed, I would say this is the same sensor tech as the GH2.


    That's good, because that old 4/3 sensor was, well, awful. Hopefully
    this one will approach the sensor in the Sony NEX cams. Maybe not as
    good, but close.
     
    Bowser, May 12, 2011
    #7
  8. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Bowser <> wrote:

    >On 5/12/2011 9:17 AM, RichA wrote:
    >> On May 12, 8:46 am, Bowser<> wrote:
    >>> On 5/11/2011 8:09 PM, RichA wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Despite the button reduction, this looks like a genuine upgrade from
    >>>> the noisy old G sensored-bodies. I know the sensor isn't 16:9 (I
    >>>> prefer 4:3 for still images) but I hope it's the same calibre as the
    >>>> GH2 has.
    >>>
    >>>> http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-g3-leaked/
    >>>
    >>> I'll be convinced when I can play with a few RAW files.

    >>
    >> Based on the samples provided by Dpreview and the 160 ISO lowest
    >> speed, I would say this is the same sensor tech as the GH2.

    >
    >That's good, because that old 4/3 sensor was, well, awful. Hopefully
    >this one will approach the sensor in the Sony NEX cams. Maybe not as
    >good, but close.



    If it has any advantage over Sony NEX, it won't be for long.

    The next Sony NEX model, the NEX C3, will have the same 16 MP sensor
    as in the Sony Alpha A55 SLT, the Pentax K-5 and the Nikon D7000.

    And there is a high-end NEX in development with ... 24/25 MP!
     
    Bruce, May 13, 2011
    #8
  9. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 13, 7:25 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Bowser <> wrote:
    > >On 5/12/2011 9:17 AM, RichA wrote:
    > >> On May 12, 8:46 am, Bowser<>  wrote:
    > >>> On 5/11/2011 8:09 PM, RichA wrote:

    >
    > >>>> Despite the button reduction, this looks like a  genuine upgrade from
    > >>>> the noisy old G sensored-bodies.  I know the sensor isn't 16:9 (I
    > >>>> prefer 4:3 for still images) but I hope it's the same calibre as the
    > >>>> GH2 has.

    >
    > >>>>http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-g3-leaked/

    >
    > >>> I'll be convinced when I can play with a few RAW files.

    >
    > >> Based on the samples provided by Dpreview and the 160 ISO lowest
    > >> speed, I would say this is the same sensor tech as the GH2.

    >
    > >That's good, because that old 4/3 sensor was, well, awful. Hopefully
    > >this one will approach the sensor in the Sony NEX cams. Maybe not as
    > >good, but close.

    >
    > If it has any advantage over Sony NEX, it won't be for long.  
    >
    > The next Sony NEX model, the NEX C3, will have the same 16 MP sensor
    > as in the Sony Alpha A55 SLT, the Pentax K-5 and the Nikon D7000.
    >
    > And there is a high-end NEX in development with ... 24/25 MP!


    The Sony's have a nice sensor, but that is all. As a still camera for
    landscapes, the 24MP unit might be a good choice, especially for
    hikers and the like. But the NEX are a pain. They are very difficult
    to use owing to their too small size (Yes, it is possible for a camera
    to be too small) and their control functions are no where near as good
    as the Panasonics. However, if Sony releases a model with a good EVF,
    and an enthusiast-level control set, it might be a very interesting
    solution. Unfortunately, the NEX C3 seems to be going even more
    amateur. There is nothing to say mirrorless has to be ultra-
    diminutive and feature-stripped.
    On this subject, where is the high-end NEX, and the high-end micro
    4/3rds??
     
    RichA, May 13, 2011
    #9
  10. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On May 13, 7:25 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> If it has any advantage over Sony NEX, it won't be for long.  
    >>
    >> The next Sony NEX model, the NEX C3, will have the same 16 MP sensor
    >> as in the Sony Alpha A55 SLT, the Pentax K-5 and the Nikon D7000.
    >>
    >> And there is a high-end NEX in development with ... 24/25 MP!

    >
    >The Sony's have a nice sensor, but that is all.



    I think the strong sales of NEX tell a different story. A lot of
    people like the small form factor and the interface.


    >As a still camera for
    >landscapes, the 24MP unit might be a good choice, especially for
    >hikers and the like. But the NEX are a pain. They are very difficult
    >to use owing to their too small size (Yes, it is possible for a camera
    >to be too small) and their control functions are no where near as good
    >as the Panasonics.



    I found the Olympus OM-1 and OM-2 too small.


    >However, if Sony releases a model with a good EVF,
    >and an enthusiast-level control set, it might be a very interesting
    >solution. Unfortunately, the NEX C3 seems to be going even more
    >amateur. There is nothing to say mirrorless has to be ultra-
    >diminutive and feature-stripped.
    >On this subject, where is the high-end NEX



    I mentioned it above. If you had read the message you replied to, you
    would have seen it.


    >and the high-end micro 4/3rds??



    The GH2 is about as high end as Micro Four Thirds will get. There is
    no indication that Panasonic are looking to go higher than that.
    Olympus has bizarrely decided to reaffirm its faith in Four Thirds
    DSLRs with successor models to the E-30 and E-5 a distinct
    possibility.

    Imagine an E-6 with the sensor from the GH2 ...
     
    Bruce, May 13, 2011
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    498
  2. RichA
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    226
    Paul Furman
    Jan 17, 2011
  3. RichA
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    398
    Paul Furman
    Jan 17, 2011
  4. RichA
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    167
    Robert Coe
    Jan 23, 2011
  5. RichA
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    259
    John Turco
    May 27, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page