reviewing images on LCD monitor

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras' started by eric, Nov 16, 2004.

  1. eric

    eric Guest

    I just picked up a 20D and am rather impressed with it. However, trying
    to look at the image on the tiny LCD seems rather a pain. I do some
    sport shooting and trying to look at the images outdoors is rather
    difficult. How do some of you handle it? Carry a lupe around with you?

    My previous camera is a Fugi S602z which I used with an Olympus TCON17
    lens. It was quite easy to review images in the viewfinder. Not so
    with the 20D.

    Just climbing the learning curve.

    Thanks

    eric
    eric, Nov 16, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. eric

    YAG-ART Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:09:06 -0500, eric <> wrote:

    >I just picked up a 20D and am rather impressed with it. However, trying
    >to look at the image on the tiny LCD seems rather a pain. I do some
    >sport shooting and trying to look at the images outdoors is rather
    >difficult. How do some of you handle it? Carry a lupe around with you?


    There should be a zoom in function on the camera, for the previews.
    Personaly I only review to make sure the exposure is correct, then I
    don't look at the preview again.
    YAG-ART, Nov 16, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. eric

    BenOne© Guest

    Julian Tan wrote:

    > G'day...
    >
    > I think it's always going to be difficult with the little LCD screens.
    > Just recently I took some (what looked to be) very beautiful night
    > shots of Sydney Harbour Bridge, only to find that they were all out of
    > focus on my PC!
    >
    > With a DSLR though, I would check sharpness etc via the optical
    > viewfinder, and then check exposure with the LCD.
    > Jules
    > http://www.shuttertalk.com
    >


    Zooming in on the LCD would surely give you some indication of focus.

    --
    Ben Thomas
    Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
    relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither
    given nor endorsed by it.
    BenOne©, Nov 16, 2004
    #3
  4. eric

    Don dunlap Guest

    "Julian Tan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > G'day...
    >
    > I think it's always going to be difficult with the little LCD screens.
    > Just recently I took some (what looked to be) very beautiful night
    > shots of Sydney Harbour Bridge, only to find that they were all out of
    > focus on my PC!
    >
    > With a DSLR though, I would check sharpness etc via the optical
    > viewfinder, and then check exposure with the LCD.
    > Jules
    > http://www.shuttertalk.com
    >

    So far, that has been my only problem with the 20D. When I review shots on
    the LCD, they look great, but when I get them into the computer, they are
    either too light, too dark, or out of focus. I also only see about 80-90
    percent of the shot in the LCD. I have reached the point where I don't even
    review my shots. I just take several at different settings to ensure that I
    have a good one. That's the great thing about digital. I have had my
    camera less than a week and have taken over 300 shots so far. If it were
    film, I might have taken 50.

    Don Dunlap
    Don dunlap, Nov 16, 2004
    #4
  5. eric

    eric Guest

    Don dunlap wrote:
    > "Julian Tan" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >
    > So far, that has been my only problem with the 20D. When I review shots on
    > the LCD, they look great, but when I get them into the computer, they are
    > either too light, too dark, or out of focus. I also only see about 80-90
    > percent of the shot in the LCD. I have reached the point where I don't even
    > review my shots. I just take several at different settings to ensure that I
    > have a good one. That's the great thing about digital. I have had my
    > camera less than a week and have taken over 300 shots so far. If it were
    > film, I might have taken 50.
    >
    > Don Dunlap
    >
    >


    Don,

    I don't have a laptop to carry with me. I do several weekend
    tournaments each season and I need to cull through the images. The
    little LCD is just not a very good way of going about it.

    Hmm... I think I need a new laptop... That's the ticket... Is this
    getting expensive, or what?

    eric
    eric, Nov 17, 2004
    #5
  6. eric

    Don dunlap Guest

    "eric" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Don dunlap wrote:
    >> "Julian Tan" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>
    >>
    >> So far, that has been my only problem with the 20D. When I review shots
    >> on the LCD, they look great, but when I get them into the computer, they
    >> are either too light, too dark, or out of focus. I also only see about
    >> 80-90 percent of the shot in the LCD. I have reached the point where I
    >> don't even review my shots. I just take several at different settings to
    >> ensure that I have a good one. That's the great thing about digital. I
    >> have had my camera less than a week and have taken over 300 shots so far.
    >> If it were film, I might have taken 50.
    >>
    >> Don Dunlap

    >
    > Don,
    >
    > I don't have a laptop to carry with me. I do several weekend tournaments
    > each season and I need to cull through the images. The little LCD is just
    > not a very good way of going about it.
    >
    > Hmm... I think I need a new laptop... That's the ticket... Is this
    > getting expensive, or what?
    >
    > eric


    As my wife says, "you can't take it with you", or as I told my sone
    recently, "I'm spending your inheritance". Go ahead and buy it, you only
    live once.

    Don Dunlap
    Don dunlap, Nov 17, 2004
    #6
  7. eric

    Jer Guest

    Don dunlap wrote:


    > As my wife says, "you can't take it with you", or as I told my sone
    > recently, "I'm spending your inheritance". Go ahead and buy it, you only
    > live once.
    >


    Two bumper stickers on the rear bumper of my parent's RV....

    "Happiness is living long enough to be a problem to your kids."

    "We're having fun spending our kids inheritance."


    Both are true and I couldn't be happier for them.


    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Nov 17, 2004
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Gandalf

    Monitor Calibration, Photshop Workspace, LCD monitor

    Gandalf, Jul 7, 2004, in forum: Photoshop Tutorials
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    375
  2. RichA
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    364
    RichA
    Oct 30, 2006
  3. RichA
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    179
    Jurgen
    Dec 11, 2008
  4. Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

    On-site reviewing of digital images - what do you use?

    Anne P. Mitchell, Esq., Jan 5, 2004, in forum: Digital Cameras
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    178
    Frank H
    Jan 6, 2004
  5. Anthony B
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    274
    Anthony B
    Dec 31, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page