Photogtaphy Forums

Photography Forums > Photography Newsgroups > Software Archive > Professional Video Production > Why not get an XL2 vs. DVX100?

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Why not get an XL2 vs. DVX100?

 
 
Henry Padilla
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-29-2005, 04:40 PM
I am still trying to decide which camera to get and after seeing these
examples I am leaning towards the XL2.

http://xl2.stylezracing.com/xl2dvx.wmvx
http://xl2.stylezracing.com/XL2Video.wmvx
http://xl2.stylezracing.com/nightxl2.xwmv


http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing15.html
http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing16.html
http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing24.html
http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing25.html


Was there some kind of special settings these were taken with? Are these
not examples of default XL2 behavior? Are these shots taken to highlight
the XL2 as opposed to show what it can and cannot do?

Can anyone show me a place to get DVX100 clips that I can review?

If I can find them both for ~$3000 why not get the XL2? It seems more
versitile, it looks like it has more options.

Help me out here please.
Thanks for the input.
Tom P.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joe
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-29-2005, 04:48 PM
For anything DVX related try www.dvxuser.com.



"Henry Padilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4yf2e.12309$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I am still trying to decide which camera to get and after seeing these
>examples I am leaning towards the XL2.
>
> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/xl2dvx.wmvx
> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/XL2Video.wmvx
> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/nightxl2.xwmv
>
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing15.html
> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing16.html
> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing24.html
> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing25.html
>
>
> Was there some kind of special settings these were taken with? Are these
> not examples of default XL2 behavior? Are these shots taken to highlight
> the XL2 as opposed to show what it can and cannot do?
>
> Can anyone show me a place to get DVX100 clips that I can review?
>
> If I can find them both for ~$3000 why not get the XL2? It seems more
> versitile, it looks like it has more options.
>
> Help me out here please.
> Thanks for the input.
> Tom P.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Henry Padilla
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks,
I noticed a clip that makes me ask (since I can't post there, I'm not
registered): Does the DVX100 have an AE Lock? There were a couple of clips
I saw where lights turned on and you could tell the AE was freaking out.

Tom P.

"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aFf2e.28014$b_6.13992@trnddc01...
> For anything DVX related try www.dvxuser.com.
>
>
>
> "Henry Padilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4yf2e.12309$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>I am still trying to decide which camera to get and after seeing these
>>examples I am leaning towards the XL2.
>>
>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/xl2dvx.wmvx
>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/XL2Video.wmvx
>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/nightxl2.xwmv
>>
>>
>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing15.html
>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing16.html
>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing24.html
>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing25.html
>>
>>
>> Was there some kind of special settings these were taken with? Are these
>> not examples of default XL2 behavior? Are these shots taken to highlight
>> the XL2 as opposed to show what it can and cannot do?
>>
>> Can anyone show me a place to get DVX100 clips that I can review?
>>
>> If I can find them both for ~$3000 why not get the XL2? It seems more
>> versitile, it looks like it has more options.
>>
>> Help me out here please.
>> Thanks for the input.
>> Tom P.
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
C.J.Patten
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-29-2005, 09:37 PM
I think a more important question is: why not buy a PD-150/170 or
VX-2000/2100?

I mean, isn't comparing an XL2 with a DVX100 kinda missing the point?

C.



"Henry Padilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4yf2e.12309$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I am still trying to decide which camera to get and after seeing these
>examples I am leaning towards the XL2.
>
> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/xl2dvx.wmvx
> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/XL2Video.wmvx
> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/nightxl2.xwmv
>
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing15.html
> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing16.html
> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing24.html
> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing25.html
>
>
> Was there some kind of special settings these were taken with? Are these
> not examples of default XL2 behavior? Are these shots taken to highlight
> the XL2 as opposed to show what it can and cannot do?
>
> Can anyone show me a place to get DVX100 clips that I can review?
>
> If I can find them both for ~$3000 why not get the XL2? It seems more
> versitile, it looks like it has more options.
>
> Help me out here please.
> Thanks for the input.
> Tom P.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
nap
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-29-2005, 09:53 PM

"Henry Padilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uEg2e.12330$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Thanks,
> I noticed a clip that makes me ask (since I can't post there, I'm not
> registered): Does the DVX100 have an AE Lock? There were a couple of
> clips I saw where lights turned on and you could tell the AE was freaking
> out.
>


Yes.. Iris can be manual or auto.


> Tom P.
>
> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:aFf2e.28014$b_6.13992@trnddc01...
>> For anything DVX related try www.dvxuser.com.
>>
>>
>>
>> "Henry Padilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4yf2e.12309$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>>I am still trying to decide which camera to get and after seeing these
>>>examples I am leaning towards the XL2.
>>>
>>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/xl2dvx.wmvx
>>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/XL2Video.wmvx
>>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/nightxl2.xwmv
>>>
>>>
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing15.html
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing16.html
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing24.html
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing25.html
>>>
>>>
>>> Was there some kind of special settings these were taken with? Are
>>> these not examples of default XL2 behavior? Are these shots taken to
>>> highlight the XL2 as opposed to show what it can and cannot do?
>>>
>>> Can anyone show me a place to get DVX100 clips that I can review?
>>>
>>> If I can find them both for ~$3000 why not get the XL2? It seems more
>>> versitile, it looks like it has more options.
>>>
>>> Help me out here please.
>>> Thanks for the input.
>>> Tom P.
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
nap
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-29-2005, 09:53 PM

"C.J.Patten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XLmdnUGM6vE9V9TfRVn-(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think a more important question is: why not buy a PD-150/170 or
>VX-2000/2100?
>
> I mean, isn't comparing an XL2 with a DVX100 kinda missing the point?
>
> C.


Why?







>
>
>
> "Henry Padilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4yf2e.12309$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>I am still trying to decide which camera to get and after seeing these
>>examples I am leaning towards the XL2.
>>
>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/xl2dvx.wmvx
>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/XL2Video.wmvx
>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/nightxl2.xwmv
>>
>>
>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing15.html
>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing16.html
>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing24.html
>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing25.html
>>
>>
>> Was there some kind of special settings these were taken with? Are these
>> not examples of default XL2 behavior? Are these shots taken to highlight
>> the XL2 as opposed to show what it can and cannot do?
>>
>> Can anyone show me a place to get DVX100 clips that I can review?
>>
>> If I can find them both for ~$3000 why not get the XL2? It seems more
>> versitile, it looks like it has more options.
>>
>> Help me out here please.
>> Thanks for the input.
>> Tom P.
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
C.J.Patten
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Please forgive me - a lot of that is my "low light" bias - if it doesn't
shoot well in low light, it's no good to me.

http://www.dvinfo.net/sony/reports/owner.php
http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/camc...comparison.htm

I didn't see any mention of the PD-150/170 (or VX' equivalents) but I do
think it would be wise to consider those as alternatives to the XL's and
DVX's where picture quality is the ultimate goal.

C.



"nap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:07k2e.16712$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
> "C.J.Patten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:XLmdnUGM6vE9V9TfRVn-(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I think a more important question is: why not buy a PD-150/170 or
>>VX-2000/2100?
>>
>> I mean, isn't comparing an XL2 with a DVX100 kinda missing the point?
>>
>> C.

>
> Why?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>> "Henry Padilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4yf2e.12309$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>>I am still trying to decide which camera to get and after seeing these
>>>examples I am leaning towards the XL2.
>>>
>>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/xl2dvx.wmvx
>>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/XL2Video.wmvx
>>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/nightxl2.xwmv
>>>
>>>
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing15.html
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing16.html
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing24.html
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing25.html
>>>
>>>
>>> Was there some kind of special settings these were taken with? Are
>>> these not examples of default XL2 behavior? Are these shots taken to
>>> highlight the XL2 as opposed to show what it can and cannot do?
>>>
>>> Can anyone show me a place to get DVX100 clips that I can review?
>>>
>>> If I can find them both for ~$3000 why not get the XL2? It seems more
>>> versitile, it looks like it has more options.
>>>
>>> Help me out here please.
>>> Thanks for the input.
>>> Tom P.
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
nap
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-30-2005, 04:24 AM
I was just curious about your observations

best
n

.. "C.J.Patten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tYmdnSfjts01TdTfRVn-(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please forgive me - a lot of that is my "low light" bias - if it doesn't
> shoot well in low light, it's no good to me.
>
> http://www.dvinfo.net/sony/reports/owner.php
> http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/camc...comparison.htm
>
> I didn't see any mention of the PD-150/170 (or VX' equivalents) but I do
> think it would be wise to consider those as alternatives to the XL's and
> DVX's where picture quality is the ultimate goal.
>
> C.
>
>
>
> "nap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:07k2e.16712$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>
>> "C.J.Patten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:XLmdnUGM6vE9V9TfRVn-(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I think a more important question is: why not buy a PD-150/170 or
>>>VX-2000/2100?
>>>
>>> I mean, isn't comparing an XL2 with a DVX100 kinda missing the point?
>>>
>>> C.

>>
>> Why?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> "Henry Padilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:4yf2e.12309$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>>>I am still trying to decide which camera to get and after seeing these
>>>>examples I am leaning towards the XL2.
>>>>
>>>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/xl2dvx.wmvx
>>>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/XL2Video.wmvx
>>>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/nightxl2.xwmv
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing15.html
>>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing16.html
>>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing24.html
>>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing25.html
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Was there some kind of special settings these were taken with? Are
>>>> these not examples of default XL2 behavior? Are these shots taken to
>>>> highlight the XL2 as opposed to show what it can and cannot do?
>>>>
>>>> Can anyone show me a place to get DVX100 clips that I can review?
>>>>
>>>> If I can find them both for ~$3000 why not get the XL2? It seems more
>>>> versitile, it looks like it has more options.
>>>>
>>>> Help me out here please.
>>>> Thanks for the input.
>>>> Tom P.
>>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
C.J.Patten
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-30-2005, 04:49 AM
Strictly academic! I have little real-world experience with any of these
cameras but intend to aquire a camera of this class over the next few
months.

A lot of my opinions have been shaped by input from folks around here.
Again, I'm strongly biased by a camera's low light performance and so far,
all I've seen points to the PD150 series (VX2000, PD170, VX2100) being the
best in the "sub-$5000" class for low-light.

A point to consider: "work grows to fill available resources."

Maybe you have a shoot where you want to depict someone racing down the
highway in their car. With a camera that does well in low light, you might
get a shot of the drivers foot pushing down on the accelerator pedal. It's
rather dark down there so this is a shot you might *not even consider* if
your camera weren't capable.

From what I read, the other cameras you mentioned perform similarly under
good lighting.
They MAY even be easier to use, better ergonically etc - I don't know. My
only concern is the final picture quality.

As I've said in this forum before, I'm also influenced by a still
photography background where I shoot fast lenses and film with the mindset
"if I can see it, I can shoot it." I want to approach that kind of freedom
in a motion-picture camera without ridiculously grainy images.

Hope this helps a bit!

C.




"nap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TRp2e.6842$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I was just curious about your observations
>
> best
> n
>
> . "C.J.Patten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tYmdnSfjts01TdTfRVn-(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Please forgive me - a lot of that is my "low light" bias - if it doesn't
>> shoot well in low light, it's no good to me.
>>
>> http://www.dvinfo.net/sony/reports/owner.php
>> http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/camc...comparison.htm
>>
>> I didn't see any mention of the PD-150/170 (or VX' equivalents) but I do
>> think it would be wise to consider those as alternatives to the XL's and
>> DVX's where picture quality is the ultimate goal.
>>
>> C.
>>
>>
>>
>> "nap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:07k2e.16712$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>>
>>> "C.J.Patten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:XLmdnUGM6vE9V9TfRVn-(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>I think a more important question is: why not buy a PD-150/170 or
>>>>VX-2000/2100?
>>>>
>>>> I mean, isn't comparing an XL2 with a DVX100 kinda missing the point?
>>>>
>>>> C.
>>>
>>> Why?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Henry Padilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:4yf2e.12309$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>>>>I am still trying to decide which camera to get and after seeing these
>>>>>examples I am leaning towards the XL2.
>>>>>
>>>>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/xl2dvx.wmvx
>>>>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/XL2Video.wmvx
>>>>> http://xl2.stylezracing.com/nightxl2.xwmv
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing15.html
>>>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing16.html
>>>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing24.html
>>>>> http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing25.html
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Was there some kind of special settings these were taken with? Are
>>>>> these not examples of default XL2 behavior? Are these shots taken to
>>>>> highlight the XL2 as opposed to show what it can and cannot do?
>>>>>
>>>>> Can anyone show me a place to get DVX100 clips that I can review?
>>>>>
>>>>> If I can find them both for ~$3000 why not get the XL2? It seems more
>>>>> versitile, it looks like it has more options.
>>>>>
>>>>> Help me out here please.
>>>>> Thanks for the input.
>>>>> Tom P.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Henry Padilla
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-30-2005, 01:06 PM
"C.J.Patten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:H6mdnQuYY5xWstffRVn-(E-Mail Removed)...
> Strictly academic! I have little real-world experience with any of these
> cameras but intend to aquire a camera of this class over the next few
> months.
>


<-- SNIP-->

> As I've said in this forum before, I'm also influenced by a still
> photography background where I shoot fast lenses and film with the mindset
> "if I can see it, I can shoot it." I want to approach that kind of freedom
> in a motion-picture camera without ridiculously grainy images.
>
> Hope this helps a bit!
>
> C.
>



Did you take a look at the first link in the list I posted first (I think
you've already seen it)? That's pretty good low-light performance. Those
night scenes were pretty good too. That's why I wanted to know how they
were shot and what a normal person would need to get shots like that.

If that's the low-light performance of the XL2, I can live with that. I
shoot weddings, so nothing I shoot will ever be lit correctly and this looks
like it will perform.

I am also looking for 24p so I can give my customers more of a film feel (I
have to cater to the lowest common denominator so the more I can make it
look fancy the better). The VX2100/PD170 doesn't have 24p (that I know
of...does it?).

Also, to be honest I like a couple of the features I saw on the XL2: Set
Focus point, Set Zoom point, set exposure point, many more f/stops than the
dvx100 (29 or so on the XL2 around 8 on the DVX100), AE Lock, stuff like
that.

I've looked on dvxusers.com but didn't find anything that excited me. If
someone can find a good use of the DVX100 I'll have something better to go
off of. Or a proper feature list, Panasonic doesn't seem too woried about
promoting this camera (from the look of their feature list on their site).

That's where I'm comming from.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Could someone DL and post a tiny filter for me? I can not get an account set up, I don't know why. thanatoid Photoshop Tutorials 7 02-11-2008 09:44 PM
Why shots get blurry with XL2? Reza Professional Video Production 7 07-07-2006 01:44 PM
Why not get an XL2 vs. DVX100? Henry Padilla Amateur Video Production 21 04-01-2005 02:08 PM
Why does the XL2 have such a tele lens? Five Professional Video Production 14 01-16-2005 09:15 AM
New Canon XL2 - Not HDV HighPeaksVideo Amateur Video Production 0 07-13-2004 05:47 PM