Photogtaphy Forums

Photography Forums > Camera Manufacturers > Canon > Would You Consider--Canon EOS D30 or D60

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Would You Consider--Canon EOS D30 or D60

 
 
Larry R Harrison Jr
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-14-2004, 10:43 PM
I already have a Nikon Coolpix 5400 and 5700. I haven't had both long enough
to know which one I like better, though I'd probably go with the 5700 with
its longish zoom, LCD panel, and EVF. I have to own 2 because my wife lately
hogs the 5700 camera when I'm trying to use it, and a cheap P & S wouldn't
work because she kept insisting "what if I want to blow it up?" (Hence the
5400.) Like she's going to blow up an 8x10 of our cat with the
grease-stained walls in the background and harsh lighting from the built-in
or pop-up flash, but oh well.

I do prefer Nikon models, I'm a "Nikonian" as it were and would get the D100
if it were going this cheap, but it still continues to go for a
grand--surprising, given the D70's excellence and low-price. That said, I
recenly liquidated my entire 35mm stock (an N80, 2 lenses, a flash) so I'm
starting "bare" regardless; the only "legacy" Nikon equipment I have is a
Sunpak 433AF dedicated flash which works with the 5400/5700, and I paid all
of 30 bucks for it in great condition.

Anyway, I once a few months ago saw a Canon EOS D30 for sale in our local
paper, $450 for the body. I seem to be finding them that cheap a lot of
places, too. I realize they are a 3.3 megapixel model (if I recall) whereas
even the Rebel and the D70 are 6 megapixels, but I hear different things
about how actually the photos from even a D30 would look better than from a
5400/5700 despite the 5400/5700 being a 5-megapixel. True? (One guy says he
owns a Sony DSC-F717 and finds his D30--yes--D30--blows up better.)

Meanwhile of course the D60 is a 6 megapixel, and seems to go for about $550
or $600. Would you guys consider one at that price, given the $800 Digital
Rebel and $900 D-70? I do realize the D30 or D60 wouldn't be as quickly
reflexive as any new model, but I'd imagine they'd still blow away my 5400
or 5700 in shot-to-shot speed. Would they?

Also, how good would they do in low-light? I took this shot (link below)
with my 5700, it's a 23-second exposure and nothing was done in terms of
noise-reduction besides what the camera itself did. Would the D30 or D60 do
that well in low-light? I remember Pop Photo (yeah, I know, not that
creditable a source) saying the Nikon D100 did MUCH better than the D60 in
low-light, and I seem to recall them not caring much for the D30's low-light
capabilities either. On the other hand, Dpreview.com seemed to find them
just fine. Your opinions.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2611685

Your opinions? Tips?

LRH


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
GT40
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-14-2004, 11:49 PM
I would take a D60 over a digital rebel anytime. In fact I'd take a
D30 over a digital rebel.

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:43:50 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I already have a Nikon Coolpix 5400 and 5700. I haven't had both long enough
>to know which one I like better, though I'd probably go with the 5700 with
>its longish zoom, LCD panel, and EVF. I have to own 2 because my wife lately
>hogs the 5700 camera when I'm trying to use it, and a cheap P & S wouldn't
>work because she kept insisting "what if I want to blow it up?" (Hence the
>5400.) Like she's going to blow up an 8x10 of our cat with the
>grease-stained walls in the background and harsh lighting from the built-in
>or pop-up flash, but oh well.
>
>I do prefer Nikon models, I'm a "Nikonian" as it were and would get the D100
>if it were going this cheap, but it still continues to go for a
>grand--surprising, given the D70's excellence and low-price. That said, I
>recenly liquidated my entire 35mm stock (an N80, 2 lenses, a flash) so I'm
>starting "bare" regardless; the only "legacy" Nikon equipment I have is a
>Sunpak 433AF dedicated flash which works with the 5400/5700, and I paid all
>of 30 bucks for it in great condition.
>
>Anyway, I once a few months ago saw a Canon EOS D30 for sale in our local
>paper, $450 for the body. I seem to be finding them that cheap a lot of
>places, too. I realize they are a 3.3 megapixel model (if I recall) whereas
>even the Rebel and the D70 are 6 megapixels, but I hear different things
>about how actually the photos from even a D30 would look better than from a
>5400/5700 despite the 5400/5700 being a 5-megapixel. True? (One guy says he
>owns a Sony DSC-F717 and finds his D30--yes--D30--blows up better.)
>
>Meanwhile of course the D60 is a 6 megapixel, and seems to go for about $550
>or $600. Would you guys consider one at that price, given the $800 Digital
>Rebel and $900 D-70? I do realize the D30 or D60 wouldn't be as quickly
>reflexive as any new model, but I'd imagine they'd still blow away my 5400
>or 5700 in shot-to-shot speed. Would they?
>
>Also, how good would they do in low-light? I took this shot (link below)
>with my 5700, it's a 23-second exposure and nothing was done in terms of
>noise-reduction besides what the camera itself did. Would the D30 or D60 do
>that well in low-light? I remember Pop Photo (yeah, I know, not that
>creditable a source) saying the Nikon D100 did MUCH better than the D60 in
>low-light, and I seem to recall them not caring much for the D30's low-light
>capabilities either. On the other hand, Dpreview.com seemed to find them
>just fine. Your opinions.
>
>http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2611685
>
>Your opinions? Tips?
>
>LRH
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Larry R Harrison Jr
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-15-2004, 12:27 AM
Why is that? Doesn't the D30 have 3.3 megapixels vs 6.2? (And that's not an
apples/oranges comparision, they're both D-SLRs.) And wouldn't it have
longer shot-to-shot or RAW-saving times?

Just curious.


"GT40" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would take a D60 over a digital rebel anytime. In fact I'd take a
> D30 over a digital rebel.
>
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:43:50 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I already have a Nikon Coolpix 5400 and 5700. I haven't had both long

enough
> >to know which one I like better, though I'd probably go with the 5700

with
> >its longish zoom, LCD panel, and EVF. I have to own 2 because my wife

lately
> >hogs the 5700 camera when I'm trying to use it, and a cheap P & S

wouldn't
> >work because she kept insisting "what if I want to blow it up?" (Hence

the
> >5400.) Like she's going to blow up an 8x10 of our cat with the
> >grease-stained walls in the background and harsh lighting from the

built-in
> >or pop-up flash, but oh well.
> >
> >I do prefer Nikon models, I'm a "Nikonian" as it were and would get the

D100
> >if it were going this cheap, but it still continues to go for a
> >grand--surprising, given the D70's excellence and low-price. That said, I
> >recenly liquidated my entire 35mm stock (an N80, 2 lenses, a flash) so

I'm
> >starting "bare" regardless; the only "legacy" Nikon equipment I have is a
> >Sunpak 433AF dedicated flash which works with the 5400/5700, and I paid

all
> >of 30 bucks for it in great condition.
> >
> >Anyway, I once a few months ago saw a Canon EOS D30 for sale in our local
> >paper, $450 for the body. I seem to be finding them that cheap a lot of
> >places, too. I realize they are a 3.3 megapixel model (if I recall)

whereas
> >even the Rebel and the D70 are 6 megapixels, but I hear different things
> >about how actually the photos from even a D30 would look better than from

a
> >5400/5700 despite the 5400/5700 being a 5-megapixel. True? (One guy says

he
> >owns a Sony DSC-F717 and finds his D30--yes--D30--blows up better.)
> >
> >Meanwhile of course the D60 is a 6 megapixel, and seems to go for about

$550
> >or $600. Would you guys consider one at that price, given the $800

Digital
> >Rebel and $900 D-70? I do realize the D30 or D60 wouldn't be as quickly
> >reflexive as any new model, but I'd imagine they'd still blow away my

5400
> >or 5700 in shot-to-shot speed. Would they?
> >
> >Also, how good would they do in low-light? I took this shot (link below)
> >with my 5700, it's a 23-second exposure and nothing was done in terms of
> >noise-reduction besides what the camera itself did. Would the D30 or D60

do
> >that well in low-light? I remember Pop Photo (yeah, I know, not that
> >creditable a source) saying the Nikon D100 did MUCH better than the D60

in
> >low-light, and I seem to recall them not caring much for the D30's

low-light
> >capabilities either. On the other hand, Dpreview.com seemed to find them
> >just fine. Your opinions.
> >
> >http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2611685
> >
> >Your opinions? Tips?
> >
> >LRH
> >

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
GT40
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-15-2004, 01:07 AM
MegaPixels aren't everything. The main reason is AI SERVO AF on the
digital rebel is only avilable in the sports mode, and in no other
(from reading this newsgroup). I bought a D2000, which is 2MP and
have sold commecialy with it.

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:27:32 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Why is that? Doesn't the D30 have 3.3 megapixels vs 6.2? (And that's not an
>apples/oranges comparision, they're both D-SLRs.) And wouldn't it have
>longer shot-to-shot or RAW-saving times?
>
>Just curious.
>
>
>"GT40" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I would take a D60 over a digital rebel anytime. In fact I'd take a
>> D30 over a digital rebel.
>>
>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:43:50 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I already have a Nikon Coolpix 5400 and 5700. I haven't had both long

>enough
>> >to know which one I like better, though I'd probably go with the 5700

>with
>> >its longish zoom, LCD panel, and EVF. I have to own 2 because my wife

>lately
>> >hogs the 5700 camera when I'm trying to use it, and a cheap P & S

>wouldn't
>> >work because she kept insisting "what if I want to blow it up?" (Hence

>the
>> >5400.) Like she's going to blow up an 8x10 of our cat with the
>> >grease-stained walls in the background and harsh lighting from the

>built-in
>> >or pop-up flash, but oh well.
>> >
>> >I do prefer Nikon models, I'm a "Nikonian" as it were and would get the

>D100
>> >if it were going this cheap, but it still continues to go for a
>> >grand--surprising, given the D70's excellence and low-price. That said, I
>> >recenly liquidated my entire 35mm stock (an N80, 2 lenses, a flash) so

>I'm
>> >starting "bare" regardless; the only "legacy" Nikon equipment I have is a
>> >Sunpak 433AF dedicated flash which works with the 5400/5700, and I paid

>all
>> >of 30 bucks for it in great condition.
>> >
>> >Anyway, I once a few months ago saw a Canon EOS D30 for sale in our local
>> >paper, $450 for the body. I seem to be finding them that cheap a lot of
>> >places, too. I realize they are a 3.3 megapixel model (if I recall)

>whereas
>> >even the Rebel and the D70 are 6 megapixels, but I hear different things
>> >about how actually the photos from even a D30 would look better than from

>a
>> >5400/5700 despite the 5400/5700 being a 5-megapixel. True? (One guy says

>he
>> >owns a Sony DSC-F717 and finds his D30--yes--D30--blows up better.)
>> >
>> >Meanwhile of course the D60 is a 6 megapixel, and seems to go for about

>$550
>> >or $600. Would you guys consider one at that price, given the $800

>Digital
>> >Rebel and $900 D-70? I do realize the D30 or D60 wouldn't be as quickly
>> >reflexive as any new model, but I'd imagine they'd still blow away my

>5400
>> >or 5700 in shot-to-shot speed. Would they?
>> >
>> >Also, how good would they do in low-light? I took this shot (link below)
>> >with my 5700, it's a 23-second exposure and nothing was done in terms of
>> >noise-reduction besides what the camera itself did. Would the D30 or D60

>do
>> >that well in low-light? I remember Pop Photo (yeah, I know, not that
>> >creditable a source) saying the Nikon D100 did MUCH better than the D60

>in
>> >low-light, and I seem to recall them not caring much for the D30's

>low-light
>> >capabilities either. On the other hand, Dpreview.com seemed to find them
>> >just fine. Your opinions.
>> >
>> >http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2611685
>> >
>> >Your opinions? Tips?
>> >
>> >LRH
>> >

>>

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Skip M
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-15-2004, 03:27 AM

Just the point that only certain metering modes are available in certain
operating modes (?) like Av, Tv and M is the biggest reason I wouldn't
consider the DRebel. My D30, while slower all around, and 1/2 the res, in
my opinion, outperformed the DRebel in the other things that were important
to me. I don't like conceding control to the camera, and, by extension, to
the camera designer.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

"Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KQEbd.87737$a85.2081@fed1read04...
> Why is that? Doesn't the D30 have 3.3 megapixels vs 6.2? (And that's not
> an
> apples/oranges comparision, they're both D-SLRs.) And wouldn't it have
> longer shot-to-shot or RAW-saving times?
>
> Just curious.
>
>
> "GT40" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I would take a D60 over a digital rebel anytime. In fact I'd take a
>> D30 over a digital rebel.
>>
>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:43:50 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I already have a Nikon Coolpix 5400 and 5700. I haven't had both long

> enough
>> >to know which one I like better, though I'd probably go with the 5700

> with
>> >its longish zoom, LCD panel, and EVF. I have to own 2 because my wife

> lately
>> >hogs the 5700 camera when I'm trying to use it, and a cheap P & S

> wouldn't
>> >work because she kept insisting "what if I want to blow it up?" (Hence

> the
>> >5400.) Like she's going to blow up an 8x10 of our cat with the
>> >grease-stained walls in the background and harsh lighting from the

> built-in
>> >or pop-up flash, but oh well.
>> >
>> >I do prefer Nikon models, I'm a "Nikonian" as it were and would get the

> D100
>> >if it were going this cheap, but it still continues to go for a
>> >grand--surprising, given the D70's excellence and low-price. That said,
>> >I
>> >recenly liquidated my entire 35mm stock (an N80, 2 lenses, a flash) so

> I'm
>> >starting "bare" regardless; the only "legacy" Nikon equipment I have is
>> >a
>> >Sunpak 433AF dedicated flash which works with the 5400/5700, and I paid

> all
>> >of 30 bucks for it in great condition.
>> >
>> >Anyway, I once a few months ago saw a Canon EOS D30 for sale in our
>> >local
>> >paper, $450 for the body. I seem to be finding them that cheap a lot of
>> >places, too. I realize they are a 3.3 megapixel model (if I recall)

> whereas
>> >even the Rebel and the D70 are 6 megapixels, but I hear different things
>> >about how actually the photos from even a D30 would look better than
>> >from

> a
>> >5400/5700 despite the 5400/5700 being a 5-megapixel. True? (One guy says

> he
>> >owns a Sony DSC-F717 and finds his D30--yes--D30--blows up better.)
>> >
>> >Meanwhile of course the D60 is a 6 megapixel, and seems to go for about

> $550
>> >or $600. Would you guys consider one at that price, given the $800

> Digital
>> >Rebel and $900 D-70? I do realize the D30 or D60 wouldn't be as quickly
>> >reflexive as any new model, but I'd imagine they'd still blow away my

> 5400
>> >or 5700 in shot-to-shot speed. Would they?
>> >
>> >Also, how good would they do in low-light? I took this shot (link below)
>> >with my 5700, it's a 23-second exposure and nothing was done in terms of
>> >noise-reduction besides what the camera itself did. Would the D30 or D60

> do
>> >that well in low-light? I remember Pop Photo (yeah, I know, not that
>> >creditable a source) saying the Nikon D100 did MUCH better than the D60

> in
>> >low-light, and I seem to recall them not caring much for the D30's

> low-light
>> >capabilities either. On the other hand, Dpreview.com seemed to find them
>> >just fine. Your opinions.
>> >
>> >http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2611685
>> >
>> >Your opinions? Tips?
>> >
>> >LRH
>> >

>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Herzstein
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
> [snip]
> Anyway, I once a few months ago saw a Canon EOS D30 for sale in our local
> paper, $450 for the body..........
>
> Meanwhile of course the D60 is a 6 megapixel, and seems to go for about $550
> or $600..........


Buying a used body is an excellent way to break into the DSLR world.
When (and if) you decide to upgrade, you'll recover a good portion of
your initial investment.

Between a D30 at $450 and a D60 at $550, go for the D60. However, you
might find a deal like I did: D30+BGED3 for $450 (I then sold the BG-ED3
for $160 on ebay 'cause I already had one for my 10D)

-Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
GT40
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-15-2004, 10:04 PM
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:17:55 GMT, Robert Barr
<sallydog716-(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've read up on all of them. What difference in autofocus performance
>can I expect between a D60 and a (film, of course) Elan 7? What I'd
>like to have is a digital Elan 7. That's simple enough. 2,354 feature
>charts later, I'm still not sure what I want to do.


Then you need the 20D

>
>I love the Elan's viewfinder and the illuminating focus spot(s), as well
>as its focus speed relative to my old film Rebel. Plus its quietness.
>Not that it's the ultimate film body, but I'm definitely spoiled now.
>
>What would you say are the primary advantages of a D60 -- nice used --
>over a new Digital Rebel kit? (Already have a basic set of lenses).
>Top 3 features that would affect YOUR decision? The Rebel now has a
>$100 rebate out there, which helps level the field.


The D60 can use predictive focus in all modes, the digital rebel only
in sports mode.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Herzstein
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-18-2004, 03:00 PM
Robert Barr wrote:
> What would you say are the primary advantages of a D60 -- nice used --
> over a new Digital Rebel kit? (Already have a basic set of lenses).
> Top 3 features that would affect YOUR decision? The Rebel now has a
> $100 rebate out there, which helps level the field.


AF mode (AI Servo/One-shot) control:
DR: depends on mode dial
D60: can be set independently from mode dial

AF control:
DR: shutter button pressed half-way
D60: can be programmed to the "*" button (very important to me)

External flash connection:
DR: hot shoe only
D60: hot shoe and PC-cord connection

Custom functions:
DR: none
D60: plenty

Remote control:
DR: RS60-E3 (wired), RC-1 and RC-5 (wireless), USB/software
D60: RS80-N3 and TC80-N3 (wired), USB/software
* the TC80-N3 can do intervals, timer and delay (1 sec - 99 hrs)

Autofocus performance:
DR: as good as the 10D
D60: worse than the 10D

-Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Herzstein
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Robert Barr wrote:
> Well, I guess I'll find out firsthand now. Bought a D60 the other day...


How much did you pay for it?
-
Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon EOS 10D and Canon EOS D30 Gallery Thomas Schultz Canon 0 03-09-2005 01:23 PM
Canon EOS 10D and Canon EOS D30 Gallery Thomas Schultz Canon 0 03-09-2005 01:03 PM
Would You Dump Coolpix 5400 for Canon D60 Larry R Harrison Jr Canon 0 10-18-2004 03:42 AM
1DS AF faster than D30/D60/300D/D10? David Turnedge Photography 1 02-27-2004 12:58 PM
10D/D60/D30 BP-511Batteries Derek Australia Photography 2 08-13-2003 03:02 AM