2-core vs. 4-core times

Discussion in 'Professional Video Production' started by David Ruether, Nov 1, 2008.

1. I just replaced an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz with a Core 2 Quad 2.83 (FSB 1333,
    with RAM at 667 MHz) for $41 including shipping (the other $279 was provided by
    Microsoft as part of a class action settlement for overcharging on some software, so
    what the heck...;-). I took a 2:18:28 1080i .m2t file (it was handy) and in one step
    converted it to 720p, sharpened it all .001, and converted it to an MP4 file (2-pass,
    4,000,000 and 10,000,000 in Sony Vegas Pro 8c). The source file, output file, and
    operating-system/program were on three different physical drives. The Core 2 Duo
    took 20:46 to process the file - the Core 2 Quad took 9:34, for a ratio of 2.17 to 1
    (as I kinda guessed - unlike the bad old days when a major upgrade brought maybe
    a 15% increase in speed...). Now if only Vegas wouldn't crash when it finishes
    making the MP4s (but it does leave them behind, intact at least ;-).
    --DR

David Ruether, Nov 1, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. David Ruether

RickMerrill Guest

What do you mean by " sharpened it all .001" ?

RickMerrill, Nov 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. It is the lowest value for sharpening in Vegas. I used it to add an FX to the
    bunch of operations applied to the whole HD clip at once (deinterlacing,
    resizing, sharpening, plus a two-pass average+peak MP4 recompression
    from the original MPEG2) to see how the processing times of the two
    CPUs compared (nothing else was changed). With my particular
    computer's innards, the increase in speed with the quad-core processor
    was a bit more than 2X. Not bad for "$41"...;-)
    --DR

David Ruether, Nov 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question