35mm camera tools

Discussion in '35mm Cameras' started by Howard Nelson, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. What basic tools are needed to work on (play with) some older manual focus
    slr bodies I have accumulated over the past 30 years and which are now
    starting to fail (advance lever not engaging, mirror hung, etc). Does anyone
    make a basic tool kit for this kind of work? I like to tinker and since they
    aren't working now what worse could I do :).
    Howard Nelson, Jul 3, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Howard Nelson

    Chris B Guest

    I've made a few repairs to cameras, haven't used anything more than a basic
    set of precision screwdrivers (you really appreciate having a good quality
    set) and a gigantic, mains powered electro-magnet for all the little bits of
    camera I keep losing over the floor ;)

    Chris B, Jul 3, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Howard Nelson

    Mike Guest

    At least one set of good screw drivers, 2 cross point drivers of different
    sizes, a couple of non-magnetic tweezers,
    a few cheap long nose pliers you can grind into different tools. I also make
    many custom tools from wide flat spring stock like the kind found in big
    wind up clocks.
    Take a look at www.micro-tools.com Fargo has everything you will need to get
    Mike, Jul 3, 2004
  4. Thanks for your replies. Aside from cross point screws the cameras seem
    to be held together by "rings" with slots on each side. I assume these are
    threaded devices that act like bolts with holes in the middle. What are
    these called and what are the tools called that remove them. Sorry to be so
    unknowledgeable but I have not worked on devices that use these type of
    retainers in the past.

    Howard Nelson, Jul 4, 2004
  5. Howard Nelson

    Mike Guest

    You will find Howard that many of the tools you will need you will have to
    fabricate yourself. I would suggest you order the Micro-Tools catalog or
    visit the web site for off the shelf tools. What you are describing sounds
    more like a nut than a bolt without a photo its hard to tell.
    Mike, Jul 4, 2004
  6. Again thanks
    On the microtool site the tool seems to be called a "spanner" comes flat or
    Silly me I always thought a "spanner" was a large wrench you kept in the
    boot to work under the bonnet or to replace the tyre.

    Howard Nelson, Jul 4, 2004
  7. Howard Nelson

    Deathwalker Guest

    Someone had brought their camera in with a sticking shutter. 'hmm its abit
    greasy too and smells a bit'
    'Well i tried WD40 first but it didn't help'
    Deathwalker, Jul 10, 2004
  8. Howard Nelson

    TP Guest

    Presumably that was the camera repairer speaking?
    TP, Jul 10, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.