3d/stereo photograph from old photograph ?

Discussion in 'Photoshop Tutorials' started by frankesposito, Oct 18, 2005.

  1. if this is the wrong place to ask, i'm sorry. I figured i would start
    with PS.

    Has anyone seen TV commercials or documentaries that show old
    photographs that have a 3D effect?

    almost like someone separated the foreground and the background to
    different layers and "shadowed it."

    anyone know how this was done? plug-in? technique? other application?

    or how to make 3D from 2D pics without the glasses?

    just curious.
    frankesposito, Oct 18, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. frankesposito

    Kingdom Guest

    wrote in @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    You cant make 3d images from one image without without using some form
    of glasses unless you make a sterogram! On tv more than likly it's a
    modren 'real stereo image' (two or more images) then aged to make it
    look like an old fashioned photograph.

    Now 3d effect that's possible just using shading and shadows but do you
    have an example (URL) of the type of image your aiming for.
    Kingdom, Oct 18, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. frankesposito

    edjh Guest

    Or an old stereogram. These used to be wildly popular.

    Check out a program called OpticBOOM. You still need left and right
    images though.
    edjh, Oct 18, 2005
  4. frankesposito

    Lorem Ipsum Guest

    I know what you mean - create an illusion as if it were a 3D image, of
    See this image. Forgive, but it's the only thing I have on-hand.

    That is a perfectly flat picture. It was done thus:

    Using the Polygonal Lasso Tool (main pallet)
    Select out the image.
    Copy it to a new layer.
    Edit - Transform - Scale the new layer to bring it forward a bit.
    Double-click on the new layer and give it a deep shadow.
    That's all there is to it!

    (The editorial point of this image was to show the land owned university
    pictured in color.)

    So you might try the same, pasting different parts to new layers, varying
    the shadows depth and angle to kinda-sorta-look 3D. If you post an image, I
    can whip out a visual example of what I mean.
    Lorem Ipsum, Oct 18, 2005
  5. Are you talking about if you watch on the History channel, they do a
    cool effect where it seems the foreground of the picture seems to be
    moving and not the background or vice versa. Where they take a real
    image (older photograph) and some how make it "come alive" in the way
    the camera moves.

    Crowder,Jakob Larry, Oct 19, 2005
  6. no url yet, i cant find it. im not even sure what to Google?

    i thought it was the modern way of using two pictures, but then i saw a
    documentary on the history channel and all the old pics of Hitler were
    done that way. so, someone is converting it.
    frankesposito, Oct 19, 2005
  7. YES! that is where i saw it. that is what i am talking about!!

    you think it is a plug-in of some sort?
    or what Lorem talked about in the previous message with the lasso tool
    and layer and shadow?

    or is there something that will work it, kind of like realviz panorama.
    frankesposito, Oct 19, 2005
  8. You'd only see the effect with an animation, so Photoshop is not the
    tool to use.

    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 19, 2005
  9. frankesposito

    Kingdom Guest

    wrote in @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    Can't seem to even imagine what effect we are talking about here but I'd be
    interested to see one and have a go. If they are using pics of Hitler I
    recon it's an effect rather than true 3d.

    Let us know if you find one.

    It's not a cut out is it? Where they cut say Hitler out of an image then
    place him 3 inches in front of a different image of say the Eiffel tower
    and move the camera, giving a kinda seudo 3d effect.
    Kingdom, Oct 19, 2005
  10. frankesposito

    Lorem Ipsum Guest

    In motion picture work it was called a Traveling Matte. In Photoshop terms
    it is a mask, or a new layer with transparency. In either case you still
    have to isolate the element you want to move forward. No such plug-in that I
    know of. A little exploration of the photoshop tools is in order.
    Lorem Ipsum, Oct 19, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.