8x10 Metric Equivalent

Discussion in 'Photography' started by William Oertell, Jan 13, 2006.

  1. If I wanted to print something like an 8x10 for some Spanish friends,
    what size would I need to print them at so that they could buy a frame for
    William Oertell, Jan 13, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. William Oertell

    dj_nme Guest

    1 inch = 25.4mm = 2.54cm
    dj_nme, Jan 13, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. Thanks, but I could have done the metric conversion myself. I was
    thinking more along what the standard European sizes were and what was the
    closest to 8x10.
    William Oertell, Jan 13, 2006
  4. William Oertell

    dj_nme Guest

    A4 is the closest (210mm x 297mm).
    dj_nme, Jan 13, 2006
  5. William Oertell

    Whiskers Guest

    10x8 inches is a pretty universal size; there may well be ready-made
    frames or 'masks' for that exact size in Spain (but expressed in mm) -
    perhaps your friends could check for themselves and let you know? There
    may also be frames for 250x200 mm.

    A4 is the European equivalent to the US 'letter' size, and there are
    frames made for certificates etc printed on A4 paper, but it's an unusual
    size for a photographic print. A4 glossy inkjet 'photo paper' is readily
    available though, so the frame makers may well catch up eventually and
    expand the choice of frames to fit. A4 is 297x210 mm
    Whiskers, Jan 13, 2006
  6. William Oertell

    Bruce Guest

    And mats can purchased from framing stores at generally reasonable prices so
    that the frame size is somewhat independent of the picture size. So you buy
    a good frame and get a mat or several mats (to give a two-level effect) to
    really set off the pic.

    Urk!!! I appologize but the "two-level effect" thing just brings back
    flashbacks of Monty Python...
    Bruce, Jan 14, 2006
  7. Thanks, but I could have done the metric conversion myself. I was
    I'm in the UK and I can buy 8x10 frames easily. Not sure why Spain can't!
    bren[at]gillatt.org, Jan 14, 2006
  8. bren[at]gillatt.org a écrit :
    I'm in France, and can buy 8x10 pper and frames. This is not a truly
    photographic standard, so you must be careful. The frames, like the
    paper will be labeled 8x10" (plus the metric equivalent)
    The photo standard is: 8x10cm, 13x18cm, 18x24 cm, 24x30 cm, 30x40cm...
    The first size is 2.5 times smaller than the one you are looking for, so
    there is no way to get confused. And if you buy the paper from a
    computer accessories shop, they will not even know about these
    photographic sizes.
    don't worry
    robert hirschel
    Robert Hirschel, Jan 14, 2006
  9. Thanks all. I didn't realize 8x10 was such a universal size. I didn't
    want to assume that 8x10 was widely available outside the US.
    William Oertell, Jan 15, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.