Adobe Photoshop Text wrapping mystery solved...

Discussion in 'Professional Video Production' started by C.J.Patten, May 4, 2005.

  1. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest

    I realize this isn't a forum about Photoshop but I figure a lot of us use it
    and it came up a while ago.

    Recall, I had a problem with not being able to wrap text to a second line in
    Adobe Photoshop on my XP notebook. Same problem in Photoshop 7 and CS as
    well as Adobe Encore DVD.

    It appeared to be an "Enter" versus "Return" key issue - you're supposed to
    hit the "Enter" key to "commit changes" and the "return" key to go to a new
    line when entering text with the Text Tool.

    My notebook only has "Enter" keys, on both the numeric keypad and the main

    Well, I tried EVERY modifer key combination - Control, Alt, Shift, Fn in
    every possible combination. Nada.

    I figured out the problem by accident just the other day.


    I have NO IDEA WHY, but it appears the NUMBER LOCK alters the functionality
    of the main "ENTER/RETURN" key, causing it to behave like an Enter key.

    With NUM LOCK off, hitting the ENTER key on the main keyboard acts like a
    return key should and inserts a carriage return in the text.


    This was a thorn in my side for a long time - had to share it with you guys.
    Maybe you can all avoid this if you find yourselves on a notebook and in the
    same boat I was.

    C.J.Patten, May 4, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. C.J.Patten

    Jukka Aho Guest

    Which kind of laptop is it (make and model)?

    Anyhow, if your laptop keyboard is missing any other keys, you might
    want to take a look into the Scan Code Mapper feature of Windows 2000
    and Windows XP:


    This feature allows turning any key to any other key, as far as Windows
    is concerned. For example, if you do not need the "Windows logo" key or
    the "Pause / Break" key for anything, you could map them to some other
    keys you _don't_ have on your keyboard. (This way it is e.g. possible to
    have "multimedia" keys on an ordinary keyboard that's otherwise missing
    them, or make the "Caps Lock" key behave as if it was the "Ctrl" key
    etc.) It should also be possible to designate some of the rarely used
    keys - say, "Scroll Lock" - as "Return".

    Since it is somewhat awkward to define these mappings by directly
    editing the registry, you might want to use a tool specifically designed
    for this purpose:

    Jukka Aho, May 5, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest


    It's an HP Pavilion zd7260 notebook. (a desktop system stuffed into a big,
    11lb waffle iron ;)

    Thanks kindly for the links!

    I may just play with some remapping options - it would be helpful if the
    NumLock didn't affect the main Return key as I use the numeric pad and not
    having to "switch on, switch off" numlock would save me a step.


    C.J.Patten, May 5, 2005
  4. I haven't seen a key with "return" on it since.....did the Commodore 64
    have one?
    Chris Phillipo, May 5, 2005
  5. C.J.Patten

    Jukka Aho Guest

    Jukka Aho, May 7, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.