Advice Wanted for Adding Firewire 1394 Card

Discussion in 'Amateur Video Production' started by powrwrap, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. powrwrap

    powrwrap Guest

    Looking to add a firewire PCI card for purposes of capturing video from

    a digital camcorder. (Dell Dimension 4550, P4--2.4 GHz, 768 MB RAM)

    Like most things related to computing there are a
    myriad of options, which leads to questions like:

    1. I might as well get a card with at least 2 external ports on it. Why

    would I possibly need more than 2 ports?

    2. Why would I need/want an internal 1394 port?

    3. Wouldn't it be a good idea to get a card with a USB port on it too?

    4. Is there any preferred chipset that I should look for?

    5. Any preferred brand names I should consider?

    powrwrap, Nov 2, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. powrwrap

    Steve King Guest

    On my DAW I have currently running: a 160 Gig HD dedicated to a high volume
    client, which I use almost every day; another HD, 250 Gigs, which I use for
    all other client audio, where the client does not have a dedicated HD; a
    1394 line to a DVCAM VTR for video capture; and a 1394 line to an ADVC 100
    composite to Firewire converter for capturing from analogue video sources.
    If you need additional USB 2.0 ports, yes. I run two printers, a scanner,
    and links to my Palm Pilot, and a couple of USB 2.0 drives that I use to
    transport large projects that I can access from my laptop or on clients'
    computers. Oh, then there's the Flight Simulator Yoke and Pedals, which
    also run on USB.
    My Firewire card cost $20 or so. I have no idea what its chipset is.
    See Answer to #4.
    Hope this helps.

    Steve King
    Steve King, Nov 2, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. powrwrap

    Ray S Guest

    Probably not, unless you add additional devices.

    I find a multi port USB replicator to be more useful, plus I can get one
    that looks like Godzilla!

    The generic ones usually use the Texas Instruments chip which is the
    overall standard.

    Get a basic firewire card at the local outlet.
    Ray S, Nov 2, 2006
  4. powrwrap

    powrwrap Guest

    Thanks for the info, Steve and Ray. As to buying the basic card at the
    local outlet, my options are CompUSA or BestBuy and their cheapest one
    is $21.99. Otherwise it's a choice of generic custom build shops that
    may or may not be around in 6 months. I've become a big fan of lately. They have 22 models cheaper than this, in various
    configurations, which is what prompted my question.
    powrwrap, Nov 2, 2006
  5. powrwrap

    Steve King Guest

    One of those cheaper models from New Egg are probably what CompUSA and
    BestBuy are selling in their packaging. New Egg has pretty good return
    policies I seem to recall, although no personal experience.

    Steve King
    Steve King, Nov 2, 2006
  6. powrwrap

    Mike Fields Guest

    Since no one else commented on this, you would use
    that if you put in one of those front panels that brings
    stuff out to the front. Like this for example:

    There are other simpler versions, but you get the
    idea -- it goes in a drive bay (they have them for both
    3-1/2 and 5-1/4 drive bays.

    Mike Fields, Nov 3, 2006
  7. powrwrap

    powrwrap Guest

    I didn't even know such a thing existed. Thanks a lot. Now I want one.
    powrwrap, Nov 3, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.