Another net

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras' started by Tony Cooper, Jan 23, 2014.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Savageduck Guest

    Daniel Chapman Stillson was the inventor/designer of that particular
    "pipe wrench".
    Yup! Same tool, different name, in a different country, speaking a
    different language.

    As Tony said, you are more likely to hear "pipe wrench used here today,
    though most people will usually know what a "monkey wrench is, and use
    the term interchangeably with "pipe wrench".
    < >
    Savageduck, Jan 24, 2014
    1. Advertisements

  2. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    I am happy that it was taken as intended. There has been too much here
    that has not been.
    PeterN, Jan 24, 2014
    1. Advertisements

  3. Tony Cooper

    Eric Stevens Guest

    ... some other countries, perhaps. But
    is the style of the original monkey wrench and is the style
    of wrench to which the name has become attached.
    Nope. That's a Stillson wrench, designed for gripping pipe. See
    Eric Stevens, Jan 24, 2014
  4. Tony Cooper

    Eric Stevens Guest

    Eric Stevens, Jan 24, 2014
  5. Tony Cooper

    Eric Stevens Guest

    I once saw someone sent off from the camp kitchen to the boiler house
    to 'get a bucket of blue steam for the soup'.
    Eric Stevens, Jan 24, 2014
  6. Tony Cooper

    Eric Stevens Guest

    Over the years I have accumulated a collection of Crescent-style
    spanners of various makes. Some have left-handed threads. Others have
    right-handed. I have never found it makes much difference until you
    pick up one which rotates the other way from the way you are used to.
    Eric Stevens, Jan 24, 2014
  7. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    It isn't what it *is*, it's what it's *called*. In the US, if you
    want to buy one of these, and go into a hardware store, you'd ask for
    a "monkey wrench" or a "pipe wrench". Some hardware store clerks
    would know "Stillson wrench", but some wouldn't.

    Terms change from country to country. We take the elevator, someone
    in the UK takes the lift. We enter a building on the first floor,
    someone in the UK goes up a flight to the first floor.
    Tony Cooper, Jan 25, 2014
  8. Tony Cooper

    Eric Stevens Guest

    rOn Fri, 24 Jan 2014 20:49:33 -0500, Tony Cooper
    I wouldn't deal with those stores if I could avoid them. Nor would I
    let semi-informed store clerks dictate the proper names of things to
    me. Besides, what would you say to them if you wanted to buy the
    style of wrench?

    I've also heard them called 'pipe tongs', which name derives from the
    days when pipes were handled by real tongs. See

    In any case, see what calls a
    monkey wrench.
    Eric Stevens, Jan 25, 2014
  9. Tony Cooper

    Hactar Guest

    When I worked on my bike with my dad, he called one of these

    (used to adjust the rear shock absorbers) a spanner, or a
    "spanner-wrench", I forget. We're USans.
    Hactar, Jan 25, 2014
  10. Tony Cooper

    Savageduck Guest

    I would say I wanted a pipe wrench. If they looked baffled, I would say
    "you know, a monkey wrench."
    ....and those are certainly tongs, it's a good thing old Dan Stillson
    came up with his idea.
    Now that is a questionable vendor site and hardly authoritarian
    regarding cultural tool nomenclature or naming, given its Hong Kong
    Only when you scroll down to #10 would you get to what we would call a
    "monkey or pipe wrench".
    The adjustable wrenches in positions #1, #3-#9, #12-#17, &29-#30 are
    typically called "crescent wrenches" in the USA, even if they are not
    made by Apex Tool, which now owns the former Crescent Tool company.
    They ( are also using a broad net when it comes to
    exploiting various search engines by using a very broad and incorrect
    label of "monkey wrench spanner" for all of the tools on the Hong Kong
    vendor site ( you posted. I suspect those vendors
    wouldn't know a "monkey wrench" from a "crescent wrench", or an
    "adjustable spanner" if you hit them along side the head with one.
    Savageduck, Jan 25, 2014
  11. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    In real life, it isn't really that way. Hardware store are not all
    that big, and all the different types of wrenches are going to be in
    the same area. So, you walk over there and pick out what you want.

    The "big box" stores like Home Depot are the same, but bigger.

    The only time the term itself would be a problem is if you wanted to
    borrow a tool from a neighbor. In that case, I'd ask for a monkey

    The only point I'm making is that many things, including tools, are
    called different things in different countries.
    Well, would you bother correcting the clerk? To me, it's more
    important to find what I want.

    Besides, what would you say to them if you wanted to buy the As far as I can tell, it's just a monkey wrench or pipe wrench. If it
    has notched jaws to grab onto a round pipe it's a monkey wrench. If
    it has smooth jaws to tighten a nut, then it's just an adjustable
    Yeah, but that's a Chinese site. They're covering the bases as far as
    terms by using monkey wrench and spanner and showing a photograph of
    Tony Cooper, Jan 25, 2014
  12. Tony Cooper

    Savageduck Guest

    Note the location of the web site; Swansea, Wales, UK.
    ....but I would think of that particular tool as a spanner, and i live
    in California.
    Savageduck, Jan 25, 2014
  13. Tony Cooper

    Eric Stevens Guest

    Therebye reinforcing them in their errors. :-(
    It certainly is.
    Not only that, they wouldn't care. They would probably just reduce
    their price and keep trying to sell it to you.
    Eric Stevens, Jan 25, 2014
  14. Tony Cooper

    Hactar Guest

    I haven't used one often enough that I know innately how it should work.
    So if one worked the "wrong" way, I might notice, but it shouldn't
    present much trouble. At least, I don't think it would, never having
    run into one.
    Hactar, Jan 25, 2014
  15. Tony Cooper

    Savageduck Guest

    Not really, because in the USA the term "monkey wrench" is very much
    interchangeable with "adjustable pipe wrench". I am sure there are
    colloquial terms for many thing in NZ, Oz, the UK, etc., which would
    baffle the average American, and the reverse is probably true.
    Please stop hitting me! just buy the damn thing already!!

    Savageduck, Jan 25, 2014
  16. Tony Cooper

    J. Clarke Guest

    Hong-Kongese actually--not quite the same as Chinese (remember that Hong
    Kong was part of the British empire until not to long ago).
    J. Clarke, Jan 25, 2014
  17. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/24/2014 6:34 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

    Aren't the reverse threads used more in NZ & OX? ;-o
    PeterN, Jan 25, 2014
  18. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    Glad you posted the link. I thought you were talking about tongs like
    this, which can easily lead to monkeying around.

    PeterN, Jan 25, 2014
  19. Tony Cooper

    Sandman Guest

    That... still doesn't explain this supposed "smiliarity of appearance"
    between a stillson and a monkey :)
    But the tool doesn't look identical. The "pipe pliers" use a screw to
    adjust the head, then you pinch the handles (hence "pliers") to tighten the
    grip around the pipe.

    The monkey wrench seems to be just a sort of adjustable wrench, where the
    grib around a pipe comes from the slanted jaws, or at least that's how it
    looks to me.
    Sandman, Jan 25, 2014
  20. Tony Cooper

    Eric Stevens Guest

    The 'wrong' way is the opposite way to the one you have got used to.
    Eric Stevens, Jan 25, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.