Any apps that allow you to drag and drop part of an image?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras' started by Robert Peirce, Jul 10, 2012.

  1. I have some fireworks photos that were all shot from the same location
    with a camera on a tripod. I want to combine some of them but I need a
    way to move the firework to different locations on each image before
    combining them. Since the rest of the image is black this shouldn't be
    a big problem except I don't know any way to do it.
    Robert Peirce, Jul 10, 2012
    1. Advertisements

  2. I forgot to mention I am using OS X on a Mac, not some variant of
    Robert Peirce, Jul 10, 2012
    1. Advertisements

  3. Robert Peirce

    Savageduck Guest

    What photo editing software are you using?

    If you are using iPhoto you will not be able to make the edits you
    describe. You will need something such as Photoshop Express which
    permits editing with layers. If you have a full version of PS of
    CS2/3/4/5/ or 6. you will have all the tools you need.
    Savageduck, Jul 10, 2012
  4. Robert Peirce

    Guest Guest

    photoshop definitely will and any decent image editing app will do it.

    the problem will be masking it exactly, but if it's truly black (or
    close to it) it won't be that hard.
    Guest, Jul 10, 2012
  5. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    Others will help you do this, but the best way is to shoot on "B" with
    the lens staying open during multiple bursts of fireworks. Just hold
    a black piece of cardboard in front of the lens between bursts.
    Remove it for each burst. You'll have one image with several bursts
    of fireworks.

    Even without a "B" setting, you can use the Auto setting with the
    cardboard. Trip the lens before removing the cardboard, remove it for
    about three seconds during the burst, block the lens with the
    cardboard again, repeat.
    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  6. Robert Peirce

    Guest Guest

    it's a bit late for that. maybe next time try reading what he wrote.
    Guest, Jul 11, 2012
  7. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    What nonsense! Once again, you offer advice something you don't

    You don't use a mask to do this. You load the various images as
    individual layers in Photoshop, set the layers to Screen blend mode,
    move the burst area around to suit and delete the non-wanted part of
    the layer using the marquee tool and then inverse, and flatten as one
    image when done. The Screen mode drops the black of the sky leaving
    just the colors of the burst.

    This is pretty basic PS stuff. Can be done in Gimp, but the Screen
    blend mode has a different name in Gimp.
    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  8. Robert Peirce

    Guest Guest

    wrong, as always.
    like everything in photoshop, there are many ways to do something.
    which one to use depends on a number of factors. your way produces
    different results than masking (i just tried it).
    Guest, Jul 11, 2012
  9. Robert Peirce

    Savageduck Guest

    So far the OP has let us know that he is using a Mac. He has yet to
    tell us if he has any photo-editing software at all.
    So a discussion regarding masking layers, blending, etc is pointless
    until we know what the OP has to work with.
    Savageduck, Jul 11, 2012
  10. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    What do you think "others will help you do this" means? It's such a
    basic technique that I was sure someone would mention layers and the
    Screen blending mode. It wasn't until you made that ridiculous
    statement about the need to use a layer mask that I realized the OP
    would be misled.
    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  11. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    The fact that you just tried the way I suggested in the few minutes
    between the posts pretty much proves it's the way to do it even if you
    don't know how to do it well. You'd still be working on a layer mask
    for one layer with your way.
    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  12. Robert Peirce

    Guest Guest

    he's asking how to combine his *existing* photos, not to listen to you
    tell him his technique is wrong, which it may not be since there's no
    evidence he didn't use a long exposure. yet another instance of you
    talking out your ass.
    he would not be misled because my method works exceedingly well. the
    two methods produce *different* results and which one he prefers is up
    to him.
    Guest, Jul 11, 2012
  13. Robert Peirce

    Guest Guest

    nonsense. there are many ways to do things in photoshop. there is no
    right way to do anything. your way produces different results than mine
    and he can try both and see which one he likes better. or he can
    experiment and come up another way.
    big deal. using layer masks is basic photoshop, even more so than
    blending modes.
    Guest, Jul 11, 2012
  14. Robert Peirce

    Savageduck Guest

    If you guys had been paying attention, we don't even know what editing
    software the OP has, or has access to. Everybody is getting ahead of
    themselves assuming he has any version of Photoshop to work with.

    I agree that using any one of several PS image mending methods would be
    the way to go, but we have yet to here from the OP what software he has
    to use with his Mac.

    He is certainly not going to be able to do what he wants with iPhoto.
    Savageduck, Jul 11, 2012
  15. Robert Peirce

    otter Guest

    Hey Robert, if you figure it out, post a link to your pictures. Or
    even if you don't.
    otter, Jul 11, 2012
  16. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    There may not be a right way, but there is usually a better way.

    Why not just admit that you didn't know about the screen blending mode
    method (proven since you had to try it) and that it's the better way
    to do the job asked for? Be honest for once.
    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  17. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    No, it doesn't. It only practical if the bursts are to be completely
    separate in the final image. That greatly limits the project. If
    there's any overlap, meticulous removal of the sky in the top layer of
    each combined set is required. It'll be July 4th, 2013 before an
    image would be done your way.

    The screen blending mode method would result in a final image in
    minutes. The suggestion for the long exposure and cardboard block
    could be useful to him come New Year's Eve. Or, even Guy Fawkes

    You just got caught out recommending an impractical method and don't
    want to admit it.
    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  18. Robert Peirce

    tony cooper Guest

    What do you want said, Duck? We can either say "You can't do it" or
    "You can do it this way if you have so-and-so".

    He can use Gimp or try an free evaluation download of Elements if he
    doesn't already have PS.
    I have no idea what iPhoto does.
    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  19. Robert Peirce

    Guest Guest

    nonsense. it works very well. once again you are talking out your ass.
    so would my method, perhaps even less.
    that's nice. how does that help him *now* ?
    there's absolutely nothing impractical about it.

    *you* just don't want to admit there's an alternative.
    Guest, Jul 11, 2012
  20. Robert Peirce

    Guest Guest

    which way is 'better' depends on a lot of things. what's better for you
    may not be better for him. only the person creating the image can
    decide which one is better and gives the results they want.
    i tried it not because i didn't know about screen mode (i did), but i
    wanted to see if your way was another way of doing the same thing, and
    it is not. it was a comparison.

    why can't you admit that it's an alternative method and now he has two
    methods to try and then decide which one works best for *him*, rather
    than have you insist your way is the only way to do it?
    Guest, Jul 11, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.