any such thing as ultraviolet film?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by scrunchy2k, Jul 15, 2005.

  1. scrunchy2k

    scrunchy2k Guest

    I noticed that B&H has infrared film. But is there also
    scrunchy2k, Jul 15, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. scrunchy2k

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Jul 16, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. scrunchy2k

    Mark W. Oots Guest

    Actually, "normal" color film has quite a bit of sensitivity to UV light,
    thus the need for a UV/Haze filter to reduce haze and increase contrast at
    long distances...Of course the film also sees visible light. So in effect,

    Mark W. Oots, Jul 16, 2005
  4. scrunchy2k

    scrunchy2k Guest

    Now for the obvious question:

    Is there a filter to filter out visible light but let
    the UV pass on to the color film?
    scrunchy2k, Jul 16, 2005
  5. scrunchy2k

    RichA Guest

    Yes, check out B&W's website.
    RichA, Jul 16, 2005
  6. scrunchy2k

    Marvin Guest

    A short-pass filter is possible. And you would need a lens that is either made only from
    mirrors, or one that is made from UV-transmitting materials like quartz and fluorite.
    Marvin, Jul 16, 2005
  7. scrunchy2k

    chrlz Guest

    chrlz, Jul 17, 2005
  8. scrunchy2k

    scrunchy2k Guest

    scrunchy2k, Jul 17, 2005
  9. scrunchy2k

    scrunchy2k Guest

    scrunchy2k, Jul 17, 2005
  10. scrunchy2k

    scrunchy2k Guest

    scrunchy2k, Jul 17, 2005
  11. scrunchy2k


    Don't forget, You'll need a lens that has the UV offsets. You focus,
    check the numbers on the focus ring and then adjust to the same number on
    the UV scale. Shorter wavelengths have have differnt focal length...
    DBLEXPOSURE, Jul 22, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.