Archival quality resolution & negative scanner for HP 5470?

Discussion in 'Scanners' started by Jan Kohl, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Jan Kohl

Jan Kohl Guest

Hello!

Several questions...

I've recently volunteered to do a large group of archival scanning of photos. Our focus is preserving the photos (but not
    necessarily the originals). In other words, we want the resultant photo archives to be able to serve almost any purpose needed.
    We'll keep the negatives, of course, but we would like to have digital for preservation.

So...what image resolution should I use? I normally scan at about 3000 x 2000, but I'm wondering if that is a bit low in case
    some of these photos are wanted for a full color plate book or something similar. What would the res be for something of that
    quality?

Next...my HP 5470 has a negative scanner....but...for these older negatives, it is dismally small in size. Is there another
    adapter that someone builds that I can use with my HP (HP says they do not have anything else). Or am I forced to go purchase
    something else that will scan in the older negatives?

Thanks!

»» Jan Kohl

castle graphics - http://www.castlegraphics.com

Jan Kohl, Apr 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question