Best Handheld Mic For ENG

Discussion in 'Amateur Video Production' started by Scott Sheppard, Jan 13, 2004.

1. What is the BEST handheld mic for eng work ??

Audio Technica - ATM31A
    Beyer - M58
    Beyer - MCE58
    EVI - RE50
    EVI - 635A
    Sennheiser - MD46
    Shure - SM63
    Shure VP64AL

Use will be for doing interviews at noisy trade shows and such.

Using with Marantz PMD670... So phantom power mic is a OK :)

Thanks

Scott

Scott Sheppard, Jan 13, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Scott Sheppard

jdcarswell Guest

If you're working in high noise environments like trade show floors, you'll
    be better off with something in the super-cardioid range. If you have the
    budget, you might want to take a look at the Sennheiser ME 66. It's an
    excellent mid-price range on-location mic and can be used either hand held
    or camera/boom mounted. It's a favorite of many TV news departments.

jdcarswell, Jan 14, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Scott Sheppard

crash Guest

EV-RE50 - you see it on every eng show (pretty much all
    local news and all nat. news and all cable news). But don't
    believe me - turn on the tv - what are the on-air news folks
    holding?
    It's dynamic - no batteries required, no batteries to fail.
    It's shape defines the expected "look" for eng mikes.
    The only choices are - grey (standard) or black (newer),
    and regular or high-impedence (get the high).

crash

crash, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Scott Sheppard

jdcarswell Guest

While it's built like a tank and is a great choice for low noise situations,
    the RE50 is an omnidirectional mic and will not perform nearly as well in
    high noise environments such as trade show floors, as a cardioid or
    super-cardiod mic. The tradeoffs are the necessity for batteries or phantom
    power, durability, the necessity to "wig-wag" the mic back and forth between
    interviewer and interviewee and a higher propensity for mic handling noise.
    But the payoff is much higher signal to noise ratio, resulting in better
    quality audio.

jdcarswell, Jan 16, 2004
  5. Scott Sheppard

crash Guest

You make good points. I was concentrating on the "eng" part of the
    "eng"/"tradeshow"
    issues. That having been said...
    I myself would still go with the ev-re50. One could argue that 1)small
    tradeshows
    aren't that loud (from my experience) or 2)the tradeshow background
    noise makes
    for a kinda cool, exciting ambiance/atmos. Also, on the newsgroup
    rec.vid.production
    there's a post about the directionality of the re50 in response to this
    thread.
    However, I think we could probably agreee that the best way to find
    out would be
    to actually test a couple of these mics out in the given environment and
    then make
    a decision. (It should be noted you didn't actually recommend a specific
    mic).

Sincerely,
    crash

crash, Jan 17, 2004
  6. Scott Sheppard

jdcarswell Guest

No matter what mic you use on a trade show floor, there will still likely be plenty of ambience. What's important is to ensure that there's as much separation between the interview audio and the background audio as is possible. A common ENG technique is to record 30 seconds of ambient sound prior to or after an interview, which can be used in post production to add continutity underneath voice overs, etc. One can also use this audio to increase the ambience level, if desired.

Conversely, if the ambience level on the recorded audio begins to compete with the dialogue, you have a real problem on your hands, as there's no satisfactory method to reduce the ambient audio without in some way compromising the sonic quality of the remaining audio signal.

My specific mic recommendation was stated in my first reply to this thread - Sennheiser ME 66. If one had the budget to acquire a selection of mics for a variety of situations, certainly the RE50 would be an excellent addition. But were I limited to a single mic, I would choose a hyper-cardioid.

The one thing we do seem to agree on is the importance of audio in video production. Far too often it is ignored completely or is at best regarded as an afterthought.
    You make good points. I was concentrating on the "eng" part of the "eng"/"tradeshow"
    issues. That having been said...
    I myself would still go with the ev-re50. One could argue that 1)small tradeshows
    aren't that loud (from my experience) or 2)the tradeshow background noise makes
    for a kinda cool, exciting ambiance/atmos. Also, on the newsgroup rec.vid.production
    there's a post about the directionality of the re50 in response to this thread.
    However, I think we could probably agreee that the best way to find out would be
    to actually test a couple of these mics out in the given environment and then make
    a decision. (It should be noted you didn't actually recommend a specific mic).

Sincerely,
    crash

jdcarswell wrote:

While it's built like a tank and is a great choice for low noise situations,the RE50 is an omnidirectional mic and will not perform nearly as well inhigh noise environments such as trade show floors, as a cardioid orsuper-cardiod mic. The tradeoffs are the necessity for batteries or phantompower, durability, the necessity to "wig-wag" the mic back and forth betweeninterviewer and interviewee and a higher propensity for mic handling noise.But the payoff is much higher signal to noise ratio, resulting in betterquality audio."crash" <> wrote in message EV-RE50 - you see it on every eng show (pretty much alllocal news and all nat. news and all cable news). But don'tbelieve me - turn on the tv - what are the on-air news folksholding? It's dynamic - no batteries required, no batteries to fail. It's shape defines the expected "look" for eng mikes. The only choices are - grey (standard) or black (newer),and regular or high-impedence (get the high).crashScott Sheppard wrote:What is the BEST handheld mic for eng work ??Audio Technica - ATM31ABeyer - M58Beyer - MCE58EVI - RE50EVI - 635ASennheiser - MD46Shure - SM63Shure VP64ALUse will be for doing interviews at noisy trade shows and such.Using with Marantz PMD670... So phantom power mic is a OK :)ThanksScott

jdcarswell, Jan 17, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question