Best type of film/speed for wedding

Discussion in 'Photography' started by ThomasNews, Sep 7, 2003.

  1. ThomasNews

    ThomasNews Guest

    Hi all,

    I am intending to take pictures at my sisters wedding in a couple of weeks.

    I am confused as to what speed/type of film to use in my Pentax SLR.

    I am worried that as the wedding car approaches, the film will be blurred as
    the car is a moving object. The wedding will be in daylight and I would
    also like to take photos inside the reception hall.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks in advance.

    ThomasNews, Sep 7, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. ThomasNews

    Slingblade Guest

    100 speed should be just fine all the way around.
    Slingblade, Sep 7, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. ThomasNews

    ThomasNews Guest

    When I used the same camera to take shots of a soft ball match, the person
    batting was blurred when swinging for the ball on the prints.

    Should I take the camera off auto ?
    ThomasNews, Sep 7, 2003
  4. ISO 100 films are the sharpest films, but the slowest. They need more light
    and slower shutterspeed. They are not good for low light situations or
    moving subjects.

    Kodak Professional Portra films are made for photographing people. ISO 400
    films are good when you need faster shutterspeed for moving subjects and for
    indoor photographing.

    For a overview over Kodak Portra films:

    Thor Henning Wegener
    Thor Henning Wegener, Sep 7, 2003
  5. No, but you should use a film with a faster ISO speed. That will give you a
    faster shutterspeed. You may use a wider aperture that also will give you a
    faster shutterspeed.
    Thor Henning Wegener, Sep 7, 2003
  6. ThomasNews

    ThomasNews Guest

    I might use an IS0 400 for the car approach etc and 100 for the still shots.

    What do you think?
    ThomasNews, Sep 7, 2003
  7. Leave the job to a professional.
    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 7, 2003
  8. ThomasNews

    Mike King Guest

    First of all shoot only one type of film at an important event, that way you
    don't have the wrong film in the camera. Secondly shoot 400, either Kodak
    or Fuji, but use the "pro" films, Portra 400 or NPH or the films that have
    currently replaced them. These films are lower contrast, designed to be used
    in good cameras with good lenses. Not as much "punch" but a little more
    forgiving in exposure terms. Lastly, blur implies motion, if you want to
    freeze the car, just wait until it stops.
    Mike King, Sep 7, 2003
  9. ThomasNews

    Andy Guest

    You are the moron
    Andy, Sep 8, 2003
  10. ThomasNews

    Andy Guest

    Good advice. I would do it too.
    Andy, Sep 8, 2003
  11. ThomasNews

    Andy Guest

    Your advice is a pro one . I would follow it with confidence.
    Andy, Sep 8, 2003
  12. ThomasNews

    Arnold Huzen Guest

    This makes the most sense. Your question indicates to me that you are not
    too experienced in photography. If I were you I wouldn't want to risk the
    disappointment of my sister and the rest of the family when the photo's turn
    out to be a mess. After all this is suppost to be the day of her life.....

    Maybe you could act like a photographer with a more free role. I've done
    myself a couple of times. You are free to take the in-between pictures.
    Since you are related to the couple you can understand what they would like
    to see in the interaction between relatives.
    Arnold Huzen, Sep 8, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.