best way to cross-fade photos?

Discussion in 'Photoshop Tutorials' started by peter, Dec 29, 2006.

  1. peter

    peter Guest

    I want to put two photos side-by-side with a little bit of overlapped that
    is cross-faded
    Meaning, the photo on the left gradually trasition into the photo on the
    right with no abrupt boundary

    What is the best way to do this so that I can easily adjust the amount of
    overlap region?

    People familiar with adobe premiere would understand this: instead of cross
    fading in the time domain as in premiere, I want to cross fade in the X-axis

    A brute force way is to create a clipping mask for one of the photo and
    gradient fill the mask. However, if I want to change the overlapped size, I
    have to re-create a gradient mask, which is kind of slow. Is there a faster
    peter, Dec 29, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. peter

    ronviers Guest

    Hi Peter,
    There are probably better ways but you might consider trying this:

    Create a background layer evenly graduated from black to white. This
    could be top to bottom, left to right, diagonal or whatever.
    Then above that add a levels layer.
    Then above that add one of your images with a 'multiply' blend
    Then above that add your second image with a 'screen' blend mode.

    This way the contrast slider in the levels layer can be used to move
    your blend back and forth.

    ronviers, Dec 29, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. peter

    ronviers Guest

    And the black and white point sliders can be used to adjust the width
    of the blend.

    ronviers, Dec 29, 2006
  4. peter

    Harry Limey Guest

    Is there not a merge function in CS which does just this??
    Harry Limey, Dec 30, 2006
  5. peter

    Harry Limey Guest

    In CS2 File - automate - photomerge
    Harry Limey, Dec 30, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.