Big size documents: digital backs vs scanners

Discussion in 'Scanners' started by Daniel, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Daniel

Daniel Guest

Hello,

I got to photograph a series of big size documents (60 X 80 cm) in 300 dpi.
    What'ss the most appropriate equipment: a digital back or a scanner? The
    scanners (Scando of Kaiser for instance) are much cheaper but what are their
    scan time for A1 in 300 dpi? Has someone any experience with that
    kind of scanner?

Thank you for your information about this.

Daniel
    Paris

Daniel, Nov 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Daniel

DaveX Guest

I actually typed up a solution to the problem last night. Even providing
    examples of how it is done and how I have done it many times in the past. The
    reply is still sitting in my "drafts" folder. But at the very moment before
    hitting "Send Now" I thought it might be more fun to just sit back and watch the
    advice of people who have a lot of money, no experience, and little to no
    brains. :)

Resident-trolls do have their entertainment value at times.

DaveX, Nov 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. [/QUOTE]
    They certainly do! Imagine expecting us to believe that posting a
    correct and practical solution to anything ever had the slightest
    effect on the flood of nonsense from trolls!

Chris Malcolm, Nov 24, 2007
  4. Daniel

ray Guest

So, in other words, you have no clue.

ray, Nov 24, 2007
  5. Daniel

DaveX Guest

Apparently the only ones who have no clue are all the resident trolls. I'm still
    waiting to see if any of them would come up with a viable solution. For all they
    type they've still not formed their "I'm a photographer!" delusions into
    anything even remotely acceptable as an option.

Very often I would have to secure the trust of park officials and small-town
    government personnel to allow me access to copy old and one-of-a-kind
    topographic maps, geologic maps, old mining maps, hydrology maps, etc. Sometimes
    they might span 2 tables. Sometimes they were contained only in basements of
    small museums, safely secured behind glass on a wall for archival reasons. Since
    most of these places were in remote regions, small towns and settlements, they
    had no access to any large scanning services. Even if they did most would not
    allow those documents to be taken off the premises or out of their sight. But I
    required access to that information long after I left the area so that I might
    pursue a photo of a subject that nobody else has ever seen. I needed to bring a
    copy of those documents with me so I might more easily find what I sought.
    (What? Do you think if you just beg, whine, and childishly manipulate others
    enough that someone is just going to bring photography subjects to you? It seems
    to be the case in this newsgroup.)

So yes, I know exactly how to do it. Do you?

If not, then shut your ignorant and stupid trolling trap.

Go whine to your mommy. I hear her calling you. It's from the floor upstairs of
    the basement where she keeps you.

DaveX, Nov 24, 2007
  6. Daniel

ray Guest

Time to 'put up or shut up'.
    I don't think you know what you're talking about and you present no
    evidence to the contrary.

ray, Nov 24, 2007
  7. Daniel

DaveX Guest

Now why would anyone want to hand a simple and inexpensive answer to a wealthy
    idiot and total fool for free? They get what they pay for, right? That's their
    mantra. Think about it. :)

I didn't answer your original question because there was no way to answer yours
    without revealing more of the answer from which the wealthy fool could benefit
    greatly. (As well as all the resident trolls who would now profess to have used
    this method all their lives, should the question ever arise again.) I thought I
    left enough clues in the manner in which it had to be used so that anyone with
    some photography experience under their belt would immediately see how it is
    done (as did you).

I don't do anything for free for someone that can afford to pay. Let them
    suffer, or pay. That's what they do, that's all they ever do. That's how they
    got that way. That _is_ their life. Why help perpetuate their life or enjoyment
    of it? Their life isn't worth the time it took to type this.

Plus it was fun watching the totally brainless packs of resident-trolls, who
    profess to be photographers, remain completely silent on the matter. That was
    fun. :) I knew they'd be scouring the net looking for the answer. One that they
    could just copy and paste again, like all the rest of their "vast knowledge and
    experience", and come up empty. :) It's fun to show them for just what they are.

You, on the other hand, figured it out on your own. You own a camera and have
    actually used it for more than a net-bragging investment. (btw: kudos on the
    nice little bracket) They don't even have that much to go on. It's that simple
    and that's what just occurred. :) I never do anything in life with only one
    motive in mind when you can accomplish 10 or 100 things more in the same
    brea(d)th. It's my life-long discipline that has benefited me greatly in all
    pursuits. Photography especially. That frame that you choose to press the
    shutter-button on has to solve 100 or more things in a split-second, by eye and
    reflex alone. An adequate reflection of that discipline.

DaveX, Dec 3, 2007
  8. Daniel

DaveX Guest

See what you did bugbear? Now that you revealed the method to one of the
    resident-trolls who finally figured it out he's now going to imagine all sorts
    of scenarios where he's used it with his imaginary camera. Until now it didn't
    have a clue so it couldn't respond.

DaveX, Dec 3, 2007
  9. Daniel

DaveX Guest

This isn't the best way. Ignore all that you know about panos. Think outside the
    box. Don't follow convention. (This is why this hasn't shown up on the net yet
    as an easy to copy/paste solution for the resident-troll's library of
    "experience".)

I won't say more. No need to. You'll get it. But you'll need a real camera in
    hand to try various methods before you see how it's best done. Something that
    the resident-trolls lack--a real camera and real experience. Their experience
    ends at the newsgroup word.

Please don't share the best way online. I still enjoy watching the
    resident-trolls remain blatantly stupid, devoid of any real experience with real
    cameras, and, .... well, .... so obviously trolls. If they only realized how
    very obvious they are to people who actually use cameras. Analogous to the humor
    level of someone who plays guitar talking to someone who only plays guitar in
    that online role-play fantasy thing called 2nd Life (or whatever that's called).

Virtual idiots.

DaveX, Dec 5, 2007
  10. Daniel

DaveX Guest

Okay, I take that back, maybe you don't have enough experience from enough
    venues of interest.

Hint: perform on a micro scale what is done using aircraft for mapping purposes.
    I learned this method back in the old days when I used to hand-draw topographic
    maps from 3D photography taken from a plane. (yes, that's exactly how it used to
    be done) Then I applied the same method in reverse while on extensive photo
    treks where I had to carry copies of those maps with me.

Get it yet?

Next time you have to pay for lessons in something as remedial as this. This is
    the last time that I'm going to let some online moron manipulate me out of
    information that they clearly don't deserve to have.

DaveX, Dec 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question