Blacks in printer produced prints and those in silver halide darkroom prints.

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras' started by Frankie, Oct 30, 2008.

  1. Frankie

    Frankie Guest

    Is there any way I can produce the same "quality" of image
    from a printer that I can from darkroom work. The "old fashioned way".
    (At least that is how I have heard it described.)

    Frankie, Oct 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  2. Frankie

    Ray Fischer Guest

    The short, glib, and admittedly useless answer is:
    Yes. Spend more money.
    Ray Fischer, Oct 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  3. Frankie

    Frankie Guest

    Your a bigger pile of shite than the last one!

    What is it with usenet? Every damaged personality seems to
    head straight for it after discharge!

    Are you both Yankee supporters?

    Frankie, Oct 30, 2008
  4. Frankie

    Frankie Guest

    I ask a reasonable question and it attracts the intellectual dross of
    the known universe!


    PLONK x2
    Frankie, Oct 30, 2008
  5. Frankie

    Ray Fischer Guest

    You asked a stupid question and you got what you deserved. If you
    weren't such a lazy asshole you've have done some research and found
    out more about high-end photo printers for yourself.
    Ray Fischer, Oct 31, 2008
  6. Frankie

    Don Stauffer Guest

    There is a type of printer known as a "screen printer" that uses a high
    resolution CRT monitor and a camera permanently attached to the monitor
    which is loaded with photographic film. The image is displayed on the
    screen, and the camera exposes a negative. That negative is then
    printed by normal photographic process. These printers were common in
    early days of digital photography, but I think they are being replaced
    with dye subs and commercial inkjets. But you still may be able to find
    a commercial shop that uses the CRT screen printer. They were too
    expensive to be useful for home setup. These printers could also be
    loaded with transparency film and used to make high quality positives
    Don Stauffer, Oct 31, 2008
  7. Frankie

    Marvin Guest

    I t is hard to answer this question, except by asking what
    you mean by "quality". I assume "the old fashioned way"
    means conventional photo prints, where the black pigment is
    actually silver particles. The particles can tarnish over
    time, giving the familiar sepia tone of old photos.

    I use an HP printer, and I've had great B/W and color prints
    since I started using the special black cartridge for photos
    that HP sells. The cartridge holds inks that print as
    shades of gray.
    Marvin, Oct 31, 2008
  8. Frankie

    Frankie Guest

    Thanks for that.
    Frankie, Oct 31, 2008
  9. Frankie

    Frankie Guest

    Thanks for your contribution.
    Frankie, Oct 31, 2008
  10. Frankie

    Frankie Guest

    Thanks. Photoshop and digital certainly make all the difference!
    However, I miss the nice deep sparkling blacks!

    Frankie, Nov 1, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.