can i buy that foam that insulates film in classic camera?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras' started by Mike Henley, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. Mike Henley

    Mike Henley Guest

    I have this classic camera and the black foam that covers the edges of
    the film compartment at the back seems a little melted in some places.
    I was wondering if this foam comes in an injectable form i can spray
    to be sure it's effectively sealed.

    I'm not even sure if this has much significance though, but i would
    prefer the reassurance.
    Mike Henley, Jun 13, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Mike Henley

    Minolta Man Guest

    You need to clean out all of the old foam with alcohol. Go to Wal-Mart
    and buy a square of black foamies located in the crafts section. Be
    sure to get the self adhesive version.

    Cut thin strips and with a small jewellers screwdriver work the foam
    into the channel.

    For the door end I use thin felt with adhesive back bought from any
    craft store..

    Colyn Goodson

    Camera manuals and mercury battery fix

    Weston Ranger 9 battery fix
    Minolta Man, Jun 13, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Mike Henley

    Gordon Moat Guest

    There are quite a few small vendors that sell foam replacement kits on
    EBAY. Just take a search on whatever cameras you are considering, and
    these kits should come up.

    The kits are okay, though you can also buy this stuff through MicroTools


    Another option is getting anti-static IC mount foam from Radio Shack. It
    comes as a small 5" by 5" pad, and needs to be cut to fit with an Xacto
    blade. Not exactly user friendly, but low cost.

    <> Coming Soon!
    Gordon Moat, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Mike Henley

    George Guest

    Try I believe they sell it (and a lot of camera repair
    tools, leatherette covering, etc).
    George, Jun 14, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.