Can someone describe "lens creap" fo a zoom lens ?

Discussion in 'Digital SLR' started by Al Dykes, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    The phrase is used but I can't find a description/definition. Can
    someone help?
    Al Dykes, Dec 7, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. Al Dykes

    RichA Guest

    This is an old term that refers to a movement of the zoom lens that you
    do yourself. If you point some zooms downward, they can move (by
    gravity) on
    their own and change the mm setting.
    RichA, Dec 7, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. Your zoom extends to max on its own by gravity when pointed downward.
    Steve Cutchen, Dec 7, 2005
  4. Al Dykes

    AustinMN Guest

    That would (in US English, at least) define Lens Creep. Lens Creap is
    a photographer that looks less sociable than a drunken street person
    with a terrorist attitude. ;)

    AustinMN, Dec 7, 2005
  5. Al Dykes

    Frank ess Guest

    The Canon 70-300 DO IS USM LMNOPQ has a switch on the barrel that
    sticks it at 70mm forever, unless it is released.

    Frank ess
    "You know my method, Watson.
    It is founded upon
    the observation of trifles."
    -Sherlock Holmes-
    Frank ess, Dec 7, 2005
  6. ....And the 100-400 IS USM has a ring which adjusts the stiffness of the
    zoom movement from almost immovable to very slack indeed.

    David Littlewood, Dec 7, 2005
  7. Al Dykes

    lens crack Guest

    C'mon, Rich - you know full well that it has sexual connotations - it's the
    involuntary extending of a lens which, itself, is merely representation of
    the penile erection obtained by many camera enthusiasts when photographing
    couples having sexual intercourse in car parks.

    Or, in your case, when standing at a urinal...... (wasn't it you who said
    that it wasn't possible to be over-exposed in public conveniences?)
    lens crack, Dec 8, 2005
  8. Al Dykes

    Darrell Guest

    Lens creep, when a zoom moves from the weight of the glass, or looseness of
    the zoom mechanism.

    Lens creap, a paparazzi

    Darrell, Dec 8, 2005
  9. I misread it!

    A Lens Creap is that guy that laughs at your 24-105mm f/4 'cause his
    75-300mm f/4-5.6... WITH lens hood, is so much longer.
    Steve Cutchen, Dec 8, 2005
  10. Then there's Lens Crepe, which happens when you drop your camera in the
    pancake batter.
    Brion K. Lienhart, Dec 9, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.