Canon FTbn Meter/Battery Question

Discussion in 'Photography Chat' started by Bob Lum, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Bob Lum

Bob Lum

After, a couple of years shooting digital, I'm back into 35mm film. My primary camera is a Canon F1n, but I recently took my Canon FTbn out of retirement. I figured it was a good camera to teach my 9 year old the basics of shutter speed and aperature. I haven't used it since about 1984 and haven't touched it since redoing the light seals in 1995.

The problem is with the meter. With my F1 I use a S76 silver oxide 1.5 battery + MR9 adapter. When I tested the meter in the FTbn with the battery/adapter above, the meter was off by about 4 f stops (open). I got the bright ideal that because the camera was dormant for so long that maybe an internal "capacitor" needed to be recharged, so I put in a S76 battery and let it sit for a couple of days. When I shot off a role of film (all pics turned out), I knew I was only 1 f stop away from what my F1 metered so I compensated. Today, the FTb is only 1/2 f stop more open than my F1. Can anyone explain what happened?

New to photography forums, but not to photography. Been taking 35mm pictures since 1976......bob

Equipment:
    Canon F1n - My workhorse and favorite
    Canon FTb - My first 35mm
    Canon AE1P w/MA Motor Drive, Speedlte 177A #2, Dropped #1
    Canon EF (given away)
    Canon 35mm f3.5, 50mm f1.8, 135mm f3.5, 35-70mm f4, 100-200 f5.6

Bob Lum, Jul 9, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question