Card Error - Recovery Problems

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras' started by RHO, Sep 9, 2003.

  1. RHO

    RHO Guest


    After encountering a "Card Error" message owhen downloading pix from my
    camera (Smart Media) I seeked adviced in the NG. The advices were to buy a
    card reader and use the free PC Inspector Smart Media Recovery program

    The program detected and stored 21 pix (.jpg). The next problem is however
    that these files seems defective. Paint Shop Pro 7 says :

    "This is not a valid JPEG-JFIF file"

    How can I proceed from here ?. Any ways of repairing these damaged jpg files
    ?. I would have thought that PC Inspector program stored the files in the
    proper format.


    RHO, Sep 9, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. RHO

    Martin Brown Guest

    Chances are that it hasn't done a very good job. The original media may
    still contain enough clues to put things right if you use a decent JPEG
    image recovery program on it like for instance PhotoRescue (which shows
    you in advance what it is able to recover in the demo version).
    You could try loading the bad JPEGs into a web browser - their decoders
    are amongst the most error tolerant of any. (Avoid PhotoShop for this)

    Although it is possible in some cases to recover and even repair damaged
    JPEGs it is only worthwhile at present for images with commercial value.

    If you want to have a valuable damaged image assessed for
    recovery/repair please drop me a line privately.
    I'd be very surprised if it did. Corrupt SM seems to do a thorough job
    of confusing simple minded file recovery programs.

    Martin Brown, Sep 10, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. RHO

    Myron Wellan Guest

    Does anyone know how to recover erased RAW files on a Lexar new WA 40x chip
    taken with a Fuji S2.

    Myron Wellan, Sep 10, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.