cleaning heads with dry tape

Discussion in 'Amateur Video Production' started by l, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. l

    l Guest

    I finally had to clean my Sony PD-150 with a cleaning tape provided by Sony
    because I was getting horizonal lines of color in my viewfinder. I must of
    used the cleaning dry tape wrong because I still did not get rid of those
    lines. I finally read somewhere (hard to find) that the way to clean heads
    is to run the cleaning tape 10 seconds then stop and ten more seconds and
    stop for about four times. I finally got rid of the lines, but I am hoping
    they do not come back.

    Just wondered if anyone has had to use the cleaning tape and could elaborate
    on how it was done.
     
    l, Dec 21, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. l

    Derry Argue Guest

    And is it feasible to clean the heads in the traditional way,
    i.e. with iso alcohol?

    Derry, who is dreading a similar scenario with his PD150.
     
    Derry Argue, Dec 22, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. l

    l Guest

    Is isoalcohol the normal rubbing kind and have you clean your sony head and
    it worked well?
     
    l, Dec 22, 2004
    #3
  4. l

    AppleJack Guest

    You should be using the cleaning tape on a regular basis after some
    number of hours of camera use. Check your manual or the tape for the
    number.

    If you use it on a regular basis, you only have too run the tape once
    for a short time.
     
    AppleJack, Dec 22, 2004
    #4
  5. The dry cleaning tape is abrasive and should not be used too often or
    too many times in a row. Consult your manual.
    I believe wet cleaning is the way to go (I service video equipment)
    however if you don't use the proper fluid you may leave more residue on
    the heads than you are taking off. Also, video heads are VERY delicate
    and handling them wrong will cause irreperable damage to the heads.
     
    Jumpster Jiver, Dec 22, 2004
    #5
  6. l

    Mike Kujbida Guest

    It's actually isopropyl alcohol. Stay far away from the generic drug store
    brand as it's only 70% alcohol. The remaining 30% is some kind of oil which
    is very bad for tape transports. Ask the pharmacist (or find a local
    chemical supplier) for the 99% alcohol brand.

    Mike
     
    Mike Kujbida, Dec 23, 2004
    #6
  7. l

    l Guest

    Canon says ""Canon recommends using dry head cleaners for all of their
    camcorders.
    While it is true that that dry head cleaners are abrasive, if they are
    not used frequently in succession, then they are more effective than wet
    head cleaners. The reason being that wet cleaners do not always dry
    properly and damage DV cassettes that are placed in the compartment
    next.
     
    l, Dec 23, 2004
    #7
  8. l

    l Guest

    Got this from Canon

    Canon recommends using dry head cleaners for all of their camcorders.
    While it is true that that dry head cleaners are abrasive, if they are
    not used frequently in succession, then they are more effective than wet
    head cleaners. The reason being that wet cleaners do not always dry
    properly and damage DV cassettes that are placed in the compartment
    next.
     
    l, Dec 23, 2004
    #8
  9. I think most of the remaining 30% is water, but small amounts
    of things like lanolin are sometimes added as skin conditioners.
    If the pharmacist has 99% isopropyl alcohol, that's great, but
    the 91% type (used to swab before injections) should be OK.
     
    L David Matheny, Dec 23, 2004
    #9
  10. l

    chebba Guest

    Does anyone know of an on-line tutorial or explanation of the wet
    cleaning process? Is it feasible for an average video-computer geek
    to attempt the wet cleaning process? Are random balck and white
    frames showing up in the video a sign that cleaning is called for?
    Thanks
     
    chebba, Dec 23, 2004
    #10
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.