Coax on mini-dv cams

Discussion in 'Professional Video Production' started by Rayne, Dec 20, 2006.

  1. Rayne

    Rayne Guest

    Hi all im trying so setup a whole bunch of cameras linked to a central
    switcher via coax. I need to integrate my 3 sony PD 170s into the
    setup, anyone have any ideas how i can do it? Is there a DV or
    Composite to coax adapter?

    Rayne, Dec 20, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. The Sony and Canon Hi-8 camcorders I bought in past years, came
    with a little A/V to RF (coax) adaptor, that plugged directy into the
    outputs and also into a powerjack to give it 5 volts DC. My GV-D200, a
    mini-Digital8 VCR, has A/V and DC power outputs that take one of these
    adaptors, but those of my newer DV mini VCR aren't positioned right for
    them. The simplest A/V to RF adaptor is to just run the output into any
    analog VCR and take the RF output from it, which will convert it to go
    over a coax cable. There are probably other small, external adaptors
    that connect with cords to do this, but you might have to hunt around at
    electronics stores to find one.

    Steve McDonald
    Steve McDonald, Dec 20, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. I will assme that by "coax" you mean RF (TV channels)
    (Coaxial is a type of cable which is also used for
    audio, video, and many other things.)

    Last time I looked, had several
    products that would modulate multiple video signals onto
    TV channels, etc.
    Richard Crowley, Dec 20, 2006
  4. Rayne

    Rayne Guest

    yes exactly, but more importantly its the standard for the low end
    video switchers as it can carry a signal over quite long distances with
    little loss (with voltage). When we break into the millions, ill look
    into a triax or wifi system!!!

    thanks for the link

    Rayne, Dec 21, 2006
  5. Rayne

    Bernie Guest

    As the man above said, coax is standard stuff for composite video - PAL
    or NTSC. You PD170s have RCA connectors on the side which are normally
    attached to a length of coax via an RCA to BNC adaptor. At the other
    end is any vision mixer/switcher. This is standard professional
    stuff, used all over.

    Your sound takes a different route via the XLR connectors to the sound
    desk - though you probably don't want the on-camera sound except as a
    guide. Again, we're talking standard stuff here, used by everyone all
    over the world. It's good enough for many, many world class companies.

    If you really want to get better than that, and I wonder if anyone
    would know the difference apart from engineers, you could get yourself
    DV to SDI adaptors, and run everything digital, but it really isn't
    worth it unless you're mastering a major pop concert - and if you were
    , you would need to ask us, as you'd have the budget and people to make
    it all happen for you.
    Bernie, Dec 23, 2006
  6. Rayne

    Bernie Guest

    ....oh, I did of course forget to mention sync - a cold and too much
    NightNurse - you need to have some kind of synchroniser at the mixer
    end. Some mixers are designed with them built-in.
    Bernie, Dec 25, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.