crazy OOF shape

Discussion in '35mm Cameras' started by Paul Furman, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    This is a screen shot from a movie showing some really wacky gear shaped
    bokeh out-of-focus circles:

    Also, she used this Hasselblad digital camera:
    Is there really such a thing with a top LCD screen? They showed the LCD
    with live preview but I assume that was just for effect in the movie and
    it works like a DSLR.
    Paul Furman, Oct 27, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. Paul Furman

    Matt Clara Guest

    Are you sure it's digital, and not just a look at the focus screen?
    Matt Clara, Oct 27, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Is that how those things work, you just look down at a three-inch
    viewfinder from a foot away? It is medium format right? I've never seen
    one in action. I thought it was portrayed like a P&S live preview LCD
    where you could see the action moving on the screen.

    She also used a large format camera & the viewfinder for that is shown
    as this enormous 1-foot refractor magnifier thing that you look at from
    a foot away:
    Paul Furman, Oct 27, 2005
  4. Paul Furman

    Matt Clara Guest

    The photo you offer shows a focus screen looking brighter and clearer than
    it typically would from a foot away, but they would have enhanced it for the
    movie, otherwise the audience wouldn't make anything out of it. And yup,
    that's how they (waist level viewfinders) work.
    Matt Clara, Oct 27, 2005
  5. Paul Furman

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    Which movie?
    Joe Makowiec, Oct 28, 2005
  6. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    "What the Bleep do we Know?" The main character is a photographer
    struggling with emotional problems. She's also deaf not that it matters
    much. Then the story alternates with interviews of intellectuals
    discussing religion & quantum physics as her solutions to life's
    problems unfold. People either love it or hate it, probably.
    Paul Furman, Oct 28, 2005
  7. Paul Furman

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    Out of theaters, at least near me. I guess I'll have to find it on disc.
    Marlee Matlin - I thought she looked familiar. I guess that makes sense.
    Joe Makowiec, Oct 28, 2005
  8. Paul Furman

    Rob Novak Guest


    And the device on the back of the view camera is a Fresnel lens, used
    to magnify the image on the groundglass for fine focusing.
    Rob Novak, Oct 28, 2005
  9. Paul Furman

    bjw Guest

    That's what an iris diaphragm looks like when the leaves get
    slightly offset from where they are supposed to be. The "notch"
    in the gear is the end/corner of the leaf, which normally
    should be overlapped by the next leaf over.
    bjw, Oct 29, 2005
  10. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    So it's a broken lens, like they tried to stop it up wider than the lens
    was designed for. Those are really huge OOF circles too. I might guess
    the faster the lens, the larger the OOF circles?
    Paul Furman, Oct 29, 2005
  11. Paul Furman

    bjw Guest

    It's not really broken, but the diaphragm is a little out of
    adjustment. That's more common than you might think. I'm a
    little surprised to see it in a movie, but perhaps not if it
    was a low budget production (that is, a high budget production
    would probably use high dollar rented equipment that was more
    throughly checked out). It's most likely to show up about one
    stop down from wide open. Wide open you don't see the iris leaves.

    The out of focus circles (circles of confusion) are proportional
    to the physical diameter of the aperture (e.g. 25mm for a 100mm
    lens at f/4), when distances of subject and background are fixed.
    This is probably in the Lens FAQ if that's still around. A long
    and fast lens produces more blur in the background, this is a
    well known effect.
    bjw, Oct 29, 2005
  12. Paul Furman

    Alan Browne Guest

    No. The Hasselblad DSLR's (or backs available for the Hassy's) are
    rectangular format, not square; and the display is on the back not the
    top. The camera looks like a 500 series Hassy. If it was presented as
    "digital" than it was simply the filmmaker's way of illustrating the

    On the last link above, you can even see that the back is an A12 film back.

    Alan Browne, Oct 29, 2005
  13. Paul Furman

    no_name Guest

    Keep in mind that projected on the screen you probably wouldn't see
    those hi-lites in quite the same way you see them in the still image,
    since they would be on the screen for only 1/24 of a second before moving.
    no_name, Oct 31, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.