D70 kit lens cap (for back end of lens)

Discussion in 'Digital SLR' started by larrylook, May 28, 2005.

  1. larrylook

    larrylook Guest

    When you bought your D70 with kit lens what did it come with to cover the
    back end of the lens when you take it off? Is it some thing black, hard,
    and doesn't fall off easily? (Mine did not come with something like this.)
    Or is it a cheap white translucent softer plastic thingy that can slide off
    pretty easily? This is what I have. Am I missing a part? Can I buy a
    higher end cover/cap for the back of the kit lens?
    larrylook, May 28, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. larrylook

    Basic Wedge Guest

    Any good camera store can sell you the cap you'll need for either end of
    your lens. Pick up a spare, while you're at it.

    Basic Wedge, May 28, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. larrylook

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Jeremy Nixon, May 28, 2005
  4. larrylook

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Should have been the standard Nikon slightly conical black screw on cap.
    But I can't come up with the third one this would imply at the moment.
    Might have it boxed somewhere as I don't need to carry it with my gear
    since I always have a lens mounted. You should be able to buy something
    similar at any camera shop, or get one from B&H for instance:
    Ed Ruf, May 28, 2005
  5. larrylook

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    As I did not buy the kit, but just the body, and I already had
    a 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 D, and some other older lenses, I don't know what
    comes with the kit lens. But I have quite a few of the standard back
    This is the standard Nikon back cap.
    Only one of my lenses came with this kind of cap -- and I did
    not buy it new, so I don't know what came originally with that lens.
    As to whether you should have the proper back cap with the kit,
    I don't know. Did your kit come with the body cap? (Also black,
    knurled plastic edge, which bayonets into the body when no lens is
    Yes. The local Penn Camera has several of them in a box with
    lens (front) caps of various sizes. They are not expensive, compared
    with the cost of the lens which they protect.

    Note that if you have multiple lenses, and will *always* have
    one on the camera, you can get away with one fewer back cap than lens,
    as the camera body serves to protect the remaining lens -- and the lens
    serves to protect the camera body.

    But -- if you are in the habit of storing the body with no lens
    on it, then a proper back cap for each lens should be consider an
    absolute necessity. And a body cap should also be considered a similar

    One lens, which I acquired at a hamfest (think "large
    electronics flea market", had a double back cap -- two glued back to
    back, so it would keep two lenses in a known relationship in the camera
    bag. I use it with two short lenses (a 20mm and a 16mm Fisheye) to
    store both together in a single vertical compartment which is the right
    height for a single 180mm f2.8 (the lens which came with the double

    I hope that this helps.
    DoN. Nichols, May 28, 2005
  6. larrylook

    Sheldon Guest

    The lens cap mimics the lens mount on a Nikon, so it locks on with about 1/4
    turn. They've been making the same lens cap for over 35 years, so you
    should be able to find one just about anywhere. Never seen one in any color
    besides black. The newer ones just look a little more modern.
    Sheldon, May 28, 2005
  7. larrylook

    Roxy d'Urban Guest

    The kit should come with a solid black bayonet body cap for the D70 and a
    solid black rear screw-in cap for the lens.

    If you are missing those, you have been sold a demo kit.
    Roxy d'Urban, May 30, 2005
  8. larrylook

    Tom Scales Guest

    I don't know about a demo kit, but mine came with a proper black rear cap.

    Tom Scales, May 30, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.