Darkroom (Red Light) with sleeves over flouresent light tubes?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by news.touchnc.net, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. Hi,
    Is it possible to use a regular flouresent tube light fixture with a red
    sleeve over it to create a safe darkroom?

    What I mean is... Can I take a regular 4' ceiling flourescent fixture with
    the four flouresent tubes in them - get some red plastic sleeves and put
    them over the tubes. Then if that is the only light in the room, will it
    expose photosensitive materials or will the light not affect the materials
    because it is red?

    news.touchnc.net, Oct 14, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. news.touchnc.net



    Have a nice day...

    DBLEXPOSURE, Oct 14, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. I've seen such things, and they didn't harm the film I was using.
    You might also want to reduce the number of tubes.
    Måns Rullgård, Oct 14, 2005
  4. Thanks for that link. Are those sleeves (at about $45 each) effectively the
    same as the tubes at http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=7610 for
    under $4.00? Is it the red color that does the filtering or does it need to
    be a certain color or material?
    news.touchnc.net, Oct 14, 2005
  5. news.touchnc.net

    Rob Novak Guest

    What kind of materials? Red light is only safe for orthochromatic
    films, which are blue-sensitive. No light is safe for panchromatic
    black-and-white film, especially high-speed films, and of course color
    emulsions must be processed dark. When printing, the standard safe
    light for black and white work is a deep amber. Red lights in
    printing make it difficult to determine contrast. Color paper is not
    light-safe under any conditions, but some people (with great care, and
    only for short periods) use yellow LED or sodium-vapor lighting.
    Rob Novak, Oct 14, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.