Downloading from a Sony Handycam

Discussion in 'Amateur Video Production' started by shubhankar.das, Jan 15, 2005.

  1. I want to do something so simple that i did not believe it when the
    sony store told me the picture package does not support this.
    I have a DCR-TRV265E and i have recorded a video on it and now i want
    to download it to my laptop.
    i do not have a firewire card on my laptop. i can use only the usb
    cable. what software can i use to do this?
    please help :-/
    shubhankar.das, Jan 15, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. shubhankar.das

    Jack Hayes Guest

    If you download via USB it can only be an MPEG video that may be suitable
    for the web but not to view on your TV. To download the full video you must
    use the firewire, ilink method this will require an adapter for your
    computer and likely a special firewire cable from Sony. Before you spend any
    money make sure your laptop has the hard drive space and speed for video

    Jack Hayes, Jan 15, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. First off.. You don't download video from a camera. It's Captured
    (transferred in real time). Basically this means that you plug in your
    camera press play, and press record on your computer and let it record
    the video and audio onto the hard drive.

    Second, DV video has a transfer data rate of about 25 Mbps. USB (1.0)
    is too slow for those kind of speeds. Firewire is much faster and
    pretty much "the industry standard" for DV transferring.

    You'll have to get a Firewire card on your laptop in order to do it on
    your laptop. Video editing could make serious demands on your computer.
    Is your laptop up to the task?

    Most all editing Software has the ability to capture/control DV.

    Hope this helps.
    Richard Ragon, Jan 19, 2005
  4. shubhankar.das

    Paul Moloney Guest

    Actually, _any_ firewire cable will do. I almost the made the mistake of
    splashing out on a so-called iLink cable until I realised that it's just a
    firewire cable; what the Sony store sells here in Dublin for ?50, you
    can buy on eBay for a fiver!

    To the original poster: you then need to buy a PCMCIA firewire card for
    your laptop - there's plenty for offer cheap on eBay (starting at £0.99):

    (I've no relation to the seller or to eBay except as a happy customer)

    If you're using Windows XP, I'd recommend using Windows Movie
    Maker to capture and edit your video; it automatically splits up
    the input into clips, which is a nice feature.

    You should be all set then, as long as you have enough space
    and processor power on your laptop.

    Paul Moloney, Jan 21, 2005
  5. shubhankar.das

    PTravel Guest

    Short answer: you can't.

    You'll need to get a 1394/Firewire port for your computer (Sony calls this
    "iLink"). They're very inexpensive -- you should be able to find one for
    around $15. Make sure that it is OHCI compliant.

    Once you have a 1394 connection to your camera, there are all sorts of
    programs around that will capture (the term of art for transferring digital
    video from your camcorder to your computer). Most editing programs have
    capture capability. I like to use Scenealyzer Live, which is a relatively
    inexpensive, but extremely robust, capture program.
    PTravel, Jan 21, 2005
  6. It IS simple. But you need a Firewire port on your computer.
    They're cheap to add on a desktop machine. A little more for a pmcia
    card, but not THAT much. Shop around. The same thing is sold at
    widely differing price points in the computer world :)

    Yes, I KNOW usb is technically up to the job. But your camera
    doesn't offer video transfer over usb. You need Firewire.
    Laurence Payne, Jan 22, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.