dSLR for previews

Discussion in 'Digital SLR' started by Beach Bum, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. Beach Bum

    Beach Bum Guest

    Anyone hear using their dSLR for previewing shots before taking the "money"
    shot with film? This idea just occurred to me (wondering why it took this
    long).
     
    Beach Bum, Jan 25, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Beach Bum

    Alan Guest

    Hello,

    I have done this when shooting with unusual flash positioning / levels etc
    to "preview" before then swapping to a film body and shooting again.

    It works well and enables you to be sure of exposure, composition etc before
    committing to film.

    Alan.
     
    Alan, Jan 25, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Beach Bum

    Mike Warren Guest

    Thought you were going to ask when dSLRs were going to include
    preview. :)

    I'm sure people do it but wouldn't think it would be popular.

    If you are talking about MF and LF, polaroids would be better
    and if talking about 35mm, Bracketing would cover it for me.
     
    Mike Warren, Jan 25, 2006
    #3
  4. Beach Bum

    Alan Browne Guest

    I've done so a few times in my "studio" to check the strobe lighting.

    eg: placement,shaddows, reflections, glare.

    The film exposure is set or verified with an incident flash meter.

    Cheers,
    Alan.
     
    Alan Browne, Jan 26, 2006
    #4
  5. Beach Bum

    Alan Browne Guest

    Polaroids have pretty much died and many pros use digital (not even
    dslr, just good P&S/ZLR that have manual aperture control).

    In checking a polaroid (or digital), the issue isn't so much exposure as
    light placement, reflections and awkward shaddows. Working with 3 to 5
    strobes is quite hard to visualize where "boo boo's" will occur.
    Bracketting can't help with that.

    Cheers,
    Alan.
     
    Alan Browne, Jan 26, 2006
    #5
  6. Beach Bum

    Kyle Jones Guest

    Kyle Jones, Jan 26, 2006
    #6
  7. Beach Bum

    zeitgeist Guest

    frankly, the LCD is barely able to give a reliable image to judge over all
    quality for a digital capture, the contrast is higher, you really can't
    judge focus. far too many images look great or at least good enough on the
    lcd and...yikes, suck when you view the file on your monitor.

    If a film image is that critical, there is polaroid backs to check focus,
    glare, shadows, highlights, and reasonable exposure accuracy. If a lot is
    riding on the image, old time shooters used to run a test roll down to the 4
    hour slide film specialists.

    it all comes down to experience, light meters don't mean a thing if you
    can't interprete what its saying, its only an opinion. You experience in
    figuring out what its suggesting, 2nd guessing it is what makes the info
    valuable.
     
    zeitgeist, Jan 26, 2006
    #7
  8. Beach Bum

    Beach Bum Guest

    true enough. i'm always confident that I'll get the shot with digital. i'm
    about 85% accurate and the other 15% is usually in the range of
    pushing/pulling in the RAW converter. but since I'm about to start
    developing my own film again, I wanted to be more confident of my exposures
    before committing them to film - mostly because time, energy and money get
    tossed down the tube if I screw up.
    yeah, but I'm not checking focus with such a shot, i'm just giving a quick
    preview to the exposure. unfortunately the 20D seems to brighten many shots
    that are actually severely under exposed when it displays them in the LCD.
    That reminds me - one of my next projects is to figure out how to use my
    enlarger (35mm B&W head) to create Polaroid transfers. I read about
    something like this in a book but I only have a vague idea how it might
    work.
     
    Beach Bum, Jan 26, 2006
    #8
  9. Beach Bum

    Paul Furman Guest

    Try a digital tethered to a laptop. Amazing what you can tell about the
    play of light, contribution of background and out of focus elements.
     
    Paul Furman, Jan 26, 2006
    #9
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.