Fading part of an image

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Kenny Frank, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Kenny Frank

    Kenny Frank Guest

    I have a picture that is 700 pixels wide by 150 pixels high. I'd like the
    bottom 20-30 pixels to fade out to the background all the way across the

    How do I make this effect happen?


    Kenny Frank, Jun 27, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. Kenny Frank

    Bobocito Guest

    When you ask questions, it is best to include some detail as to the
    format of the image, and its intended use.
    If you want this for the web, you will get best results by making a
    background color matching your web page background, fading to that,
    and saving for web as a jpg or gif. I suggest you avoid transparent
    gifs for this sort of thing, but it may be necessary if your web
    background is a pattern or image, rather than a solid color.
    The fade you want can be done by choosing the picture layer (if it is
    called "background", then it must first be changed to a named layer by
    double clicking on background in the layers pallette), then clicking
    on the layer mask button at the bottom of the layers pallette. Then
    use the gradient tool to run a white to black linear gradient,
    starting at 30px from the bottom edge, and running to the bottom edge.
    Redraw the gradient as necessary to get the effect you want, starting
    or stopping at different positions on the image.
    This will fade to whatever is under the pic layer.
    Bobocito, Jun 27, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. Kenny Frank

    Kenny Frank Guest

    That worked great! Thanks for the tip.


    Kenny Frank, Jun 27, 2003
  4. Vizros Plug-ins, Jun 27, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.