Fill Slider

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by darkman, Aug 24, 2011.

  1. darkman

    darkman Guest

    May be a dumb question, but in CS4's Layers box there are two sliders,
    Opacity and Fill. Fill just seems to be a redundant Opacity slider. I've
    read many detailed Photoshop tutorials, but there's no mention of it
    anywhere, and it's never used. Seems to be an orphan - what does it do?
    darkman, Aug 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

  2. darkman

    HIB Guest

    This link will answer your question:

    HIB, Aug 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

  3. darkman

    Carrie Guest

    I did a tutorial (CS3) that explained what they each do, but
    darned if I can remember it now. In these, they would hit a kid to get
    opacity like 5 for 50% and the top slider would move.
    I know this isn't an answer but know what you mean about it being
    confusing and never seeing it mentioned anywhere else.
    Okay found this in Adobe Photoshop CS3: Complete Concepts and Techniquies
    (in google books online)

    "Beneath the Opacity box is the fill box. Changing the fill of a layer is
    similar to changing its opacity, but editing the fill percentage changes
    only the pixels in the layer rather thatn any layer styles or blending
    modes. When you click either the Opacity box arrow or the Fill box arrow, a
    slider displays to adjust the percentage. You also can type a percentage in
    either box"
    Seems to be a minor difference. If you have layer styles and blending
    modes on, the bottom one would fade the layer selected, without effecting
    the styles/blending?
    Carrie, Aug 25, 2011
  4. darkman

    darkman Guest

    Makes sense. Thanks.
    darkman, Sep 5, 2011
  5. darkman

    darkman Guest

    darkman, Sep 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.