Filter/ Noise / Dust & Scratches?

Discussion in 'Photoshop Tutorials' started by ergobob, Apr 28, 2005.

  1. ergobob

    ergobob Guest

    I have a line of text that I want to filter using Noise/Dust & Scratches. I
    then want to add this text to an existing photo using Photoshop Elements.

    I have been creating a new image for the text with the idea of copying it
    and pasting it onto the existing photo.

    However, all of the filters are grayed-out. When I Simplify, I do get the
    options but the Dust & Scratches do not effect the text.

    I did do this correctly once but can't remember how I did it.

    Can someone tell me how to add a filter to the text?

    Thanks a lot,

    ergobob, Apr 28, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. ergobob

    Harry Limey Guest

    Text needs to be rasterised before filters can work on it!
    Harry Limey, Apr 28, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. What do you hope to achieve with this filter anyway? 'Dust & Scratches'
    does not ADD the effect of dust and scratches (as you probably think),
    it REMOVES dust and scratches from a scanned image. A text layer does
    not have any dust and scratches, so this filter won't do anything.
    Johan W. Elzenga, Apr 28, 2005
  4. ergobob

    Nick Guest

    Hi Bob,

    as Harry said the text is required to be rasterised and then it ll work
    with filters.

    Generaly when you apply filter for text PS asks for the rasterised and
    you need to select OK. otherwise manually you can go to menu
    Layer -> Rasterize -> Layer to make your text resterize. thats it..
    then you can go ahead and apply filter.

    - Nick
    Nick, Apr 28, 2005
  5. ergobob

    Nick Guest

    Nick, Apr 28, 2005
  6. ergobob

    ergobob Guest

    Yeah if its not a problem of resterize then u r absolutly right that
    this filter won't do anything for text layer.

    - Nick­_gr8/

    Hello Everyone,

    Thanks for the responses. When I applied Noise / Dust & Scratches to another
    string of text, it degraded the text so that each stroke looked interrupted
    or like an old typwriter. I am trying to make the text look old.

    How do you select Rasterization? Perhaps I can select another filter to
    degrade the text. Sorry, I'm new to it.

    Thanks Again,

    ergobob, Apr 28, 2005
  7. ergobob

    Tacit Guest

    Go to the Layer menu and choose Rasterize->Type.

    Filters only work on pixels. Type in Photoshop is not made of pixels; it
    is made of mathematical descriptions of the letters. To "rasterize"
    something means to turn it into pixels.
    Tacit, Apr 29, 2005
  8. ergobob

    ergobob Guest

    Photoshop Elements (2 year old version) doesn't seem to have Rasterize >
    Type. Rasterize is just not there.

    ergobob, Apr 29, 2005
  9. ergobob

    Tacit Guest

    See if it's in the same place it is in earlier Photoshop versions:

    Layer->Type->Render Layer
    Tacit, Apr 29, 2005
  10. ergobob

    ergobob Guest

    You may have it, I am not sure. There is a Layer > Type but it is
    grayed-out. When I open a PSD file, it does not show up. I think I need to
    change something on the PSD file to activate Type.

    Do you know what is required to get Layer > Type to work?


    ergobob, Apr 29, 2005
  11. You have to select the type layer first. Maybe the background layer is
    selected now...
    Johan W. Elzenga, Apr 29, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.