FireWire to USB? Help a newbie!

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras' started by Craig Richard, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    I have a crappy little digital camera that has a firewire-out connection.
    It came with a firewire-usb converter cable that plugs into my usb 2.0 on my

    I'm looking to rent a Digital-8 or DV camcorder to film my wedding, and I
    don't have firewire-in on my PC. Can I use this cable? Is there some
    converter I can use instead? Or am I stuck until I get a firewire-in on my


    Craig Richard, Sep 23, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. Craig Richard

    Lucas Tam Guest

    I don't think there is such a cable... it's probably a non-standard USB
    jack on the camera side.

    You'll most likely need to buy a firewire card.
    Lucas Tam, Sep 24, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. Craig Richard

    andrew Guest

    if you want to capture digital video in full resolution, you must use
    firewire. all DV and D8 camcorders have a firewire out because in order to
    stream and hour (12 gigs) of video in real time, you need that bandwidth.
    USB 2.0 would also be capable, but they don't have USB 2.0 yet.

    buy or rent a sony dvd camcorder. they have USB 2.0 transfer.
    andrew, Oct 28, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.