Flexible lens

Discussion in '35mm Cameras' started by Eric Miller, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    Does anyone know of a product that would attach to a 35mm or digital camera
    that is essentially a flexible lens for getting into small spaces? What I
    have in mind is something that can be inserted into a crack in masonry or
    through a hole in a wall. I am trying to get close-up photos of some birds
    that have nested inside a brick column at my office and just can't get a
    shot from outside the entrance to the area where the nest is.

    Eric Miller
    Eric Miller, Apr 20, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Eric Miller

    ~ Darrell ~ Guest

    Try http://www.edsci.com Edmund Scientific, they have sold borescopes for
    years. These may be adaptable to your camera.
    ~ Darrell ~, Apr 20, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Or a door security viewer.
    Joseph Meehan, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Eric Miller

    Lisa Horton Guest

    I remember back in the day, I saw an article in one of the photo
    magazines suggesting fitting a door viewer (at the time a fairly new
    product) into a hole drilled in a lens cap. I tried it, and even by my
    secondary school standards, the quality was very poor. Door viewers may
    have improved though, in the intervening decades.

    Lisa Horton, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Eric Miller

    TP Guest

    If such a device exists, it would not be a good idea to advertise it
    on here - because of several less-than ethical alternative uses to
    which it might be put.
    TP, Apr 20, 2004
  6. Eric Miller

    Bob Salomon Guest

    Have you tried a medical supply house. Although it might be expensive.
    You could also try a rental tool center. There are systems used by
    inspectors to look in plumbing and sewer lines.
    Bob Salomon, Apr 20, 2004
  7. Eric Miller

    Pickle Guest

    The device you describe is called an endoscope. If you search on that
    you may find something, but you may well find that they are generally
    slow in the focal ratio sense and also not of very high quality for
    35mm (normally used with video). They come in rigid and flexible
    forms, and with the lens looking straight out of the end or at 90
    degrees. I've never tried hooking one to a 35mm camera.
    Pickle, Apr 20, 2004
  8. Eric Miller

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I don't think they have improved enough. I built one -- from that
    article, in fact (I think it was in Petersen's) and it was truly lousy for
    most uses - but with my eye for the out of focus, distorted and bizarre, I
    had a lot of fun with it. I can tell you you need to use a "hard" lens cap -
    rubber won't do.
    Tony Spadaro, Apr 20, 2004
  9. Eric Miller

    Chris Butler Guest

    Don't give Canon any ideas - they'll come out with an EF USM f2.5 door
    security device that lists for $1200. Photodo will only give it a 3.5
    rating because it's not part of the 'L' series... (just kidding...)

    Chris Butler, Apr 20, 2004
  10. Your best bet is an endoscopic lens from Olympus. They have made them
    for 30 years or so, and many were issued in the OM-system mound. They
    were not just used for medical purposes.

    The Minolta dimage EX camera has a detachable lens unit with a cable,
    and a special wide-angle lens was made for this. I used it to photograph
    the interior of guitars. However, it is long obsolete and the wide angle
    lens was rare, and the file size is very small though quality is good
    enough for a 6 x 4 print. It would be a matter of finding one.

    David Kilpatrick, Apr 20, 2004
  11. Eric Miller

    Alan Browne Guest

    Lisa Horton wrote:

    Only Carl Leitz door viewers are acceptable.

    Alan Browne, Apr 20, 2004
  12. If you refer to our occasionally unwelcome contributors, a few American
    middle-class family housecats getting some surprising attention is about as
    close to "less than ethical" as it gets. Unless this particular device comes
    in bargepole-length form... in which case, watch out ladies!
    Martin Francis, Apr 20, 2004
  13. Eric Miller

    George Guest

    Schneider Apochromatic WA door viewers are much better, but Leitz does make
    excellent circular saw blades. (only half kidding...you guess which half)
    George, Apr 21, 2004
  14. Eric Miller

    Bandicoot Guest

    And soon after hotel staff at the Dorchester will be seen with pots of red
    paint, putting thin red rings round all the door viewers...

    Bandicoot, Apr 21, 2004
  15. Eric Miller

    ian green Guest

    current security accessories list such things
    the quality of image is so poor you can't use it for decent photo
    kind of watching too old vhs video
    and the price is unreal afaik


    ian green

    Xeto : photo & graphic project : http://xeto.front.ru
    photo galleries @ BlurryImage : http://www.blurryimage.com/user/ian green
    selected photography : http://ian_green.photosight.ru/
    ian green, Apr 21, 2004
  16. Eric Miller

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Nikon already put it out and charged $6,000 for it.
    Tony Spadaro, Apr 21, 2004
  17. Eric Miller

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    You mean they are only half circular saw blades?
    Tony Spadaro, Apr 21, 2004
  18. Eric Miller

    Gordon Moat Guest

    Other than Gastric cameras, of which there are more modern video versions,
    there are also flexible cable lens set-ups for some Sony video cameras.
    Another option would be to get a microscope attachment set-up for your camera.
    Nikon and I think Zeiss should have some modern gear that allows the viewing
    you need. The Olympus is also available in more modern construction.
    Gordon Moat, Apr 21, 2004
  19. Eric Miller

    jean Guest

    How come George has not replied that Sigma makes a much better one?


    jean, Apr 21, 2004
  20. A fiber sigmoidoscope would do what you want, but I don't think the
    doctor would let you borrow it. :)

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

    Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you
    Rodney Myrvaagnes, Apr 21, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.