"Fluid" vs "Fluid-effect" tripod heads

Discussion in 'Amateur Video Production' started by Roger Balettie, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. (I asked this in an earlier thread that may have been buried too deep for a
    new question, so I'm repeating it here...)

    Is there a difference between "fluid" heads and "fluid-effect" heads?

    Are they the same thing, or is the "fluid-effect" head a clever marketing
    term for "not quite a fluid head, but sounds enough like it to make you
    think it is"?

    Thanks in advance,
    Roger Balettie, Dec 14, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. .............."a clever marketing term"............ just about hits it on the
    (fluid-effect) head! A true fluid head has fluid (well, thick oil , grease,
    silicon or other gooey substances) to dampen the movements.
    Maurice Fleisher, Dec 15, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. Roger Balettie

    David McCall Guest

    So does a "fluid effect" head. My understanding is that
    "fluid effect heads" have a highly viscous fluid (grease) that
    dampens the motion, while a true "fluid head" sort-of
    pumps oil from one chamber to another, when-ever you
    move the head, to do the damping.

    David McCall, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Roger Balettie

    DK Guest

    Many of the lower-end Bogen heads are called "fluid-head" - but I don't
    remember them having any "fluid".

    The explanation of fluid head matches what I've heard - it has actual fluid
    to dampen the motion.
    DK, Dec 23, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.