foot switch ...?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Developing and Printing' started by Art Reitsch, Mar 26, 2005.

  1. Art Reitsch

    Art Reitsch Guest

    Hi all. I would like to find a foot switch that turns an electric
    appliance, such as a light, on and off. I know they exist because a
    floor lamp I have has one. I want to be able to turn my inspection
    light in the darkroom on and off without using my wet hands. I'd plug
    my light into it and have it on the floor under my sink. I had a slide
    switch which I didn't like much because of trying to slide it on and off
    with my foot, but it failed and I don't even remember where I got it.
    I've tried hardward stores, Home Depot kinds of places and lighting
    stores: no luck. Anybody know where to find one?
    Art Reitsch, Mar 26, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. There is always a dimmer switch, you could improvise it if electrically
    inclined most have a on & off button that you press in. I would think
    with a little know how it could be done.
    Gregory Blank, Mar 26, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. Art Reitsch

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    Joe Makowiec, Mar 26, 2005
  4. Art Reitsch

    John Guest

    Home Depot carries them. Also Grainger has several like this

    Switch,Foot,SPDT,15 A
    Foot Switch, Contact Form SPDT, Current Rating 15 Amps, Power Rating
    1/2 HP, AC Voltage 125/250 Volts, NEMA Rating 1, Length 3.50 Inches,
    Depth 1.00 Inch, Width 2.65 Inches, Color Black, Light Duty, Without
    Cord Set
    Grainger Item: 2W810
    Price (ea) : $11.15
    Manufacturer: LINEMASTER
    Mfg. Model#: T-91-S


    John S. Douglas, Photographer -
    Please remove the "_" when replying via email
    John, Mar 26, 2005
  5. Gregory Blank, Mar 26, 2005
  6. The only problem here might be that the footswitch is a momentary switch--only
    on while your foot is pressing it down. I think the O.P. is looking for a
    toggle switch, so that the light stays on until he stomps on the switch again.
    Can't tell from their description whether this is so. Otherwise, looks like
    just what the dr. ordered.
    David Nebenzahl, Mar 26, 2005
  7. If you can't find anything else, look for an older electric-guitar floor
    switch. Some of these were just regular pushbutton switches mounted in a
    rubber or metal housing. The switches were fairly heavy-duty, with metal
    buttons and collars. You'd have to rewire this for power usage, but that
    wouldn't be hard to do.
    David Nebenzahl, Mar 26, 2005
  8. Art Reitsch

    David W. Guest

    Wal-Mart et. al. around here sell a foot operated switch for turning on/off
    christmas tree lights. Check the electrical aisle.
    David W., Mar 26, 2005
  9. The Grainger page also shows some alternative foot
    switches, at least one of which appears to be a momentary
    switch. I am sure an e-mail would get complete descriptions.
    Richard Knoppow, Mar 27, 2005
  10. Foot switch ... what, where, why ...

    You will want (I imagine) a footswitch with a series plug.
    The series plug goes into the wall outlet and the light
    goes into the series plug. A cord runs from the switch
    to the series plug.

    There are two forms of switches: maintained (alternate
    action) and momentary:

    The Linemaster T-91-SC3-A (momentary) and
    T-91-DC3 (maintained) seem to meet requirements. Note these
    are light-duty, if you need a heavy-duty switch then another
    switch series should be selected.

    Control is another manufacturer:

    The Grainger site doesn't provide all the needed information
    to select a switch. Neither does Grainger stock maintained
    action switches (or so it seems). Try McMaster-Carr or
    drop Linemaster or Control an email.
    Nicholas O. Lindan, Mar 27, 2005
  11. Art Reitsch

    John Guest

    John, Mar 27, 2005
  12. Art Reitsch

    Mike King Guest

    I hesitate to put any hand wired electrical items on the floor beneath my
    sink!! There is a switch that operates off air pressure, basically you step
    on a bladder on the floor and the air goes up a tube to the dry(!) area
    where a momentary contact switch does the electrical thing.
    Mike King, Mar 28, 2005
  13. Art Reitsch

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    If your darkroom is wired to code, everything is on a GFCI, so it
    shouldn't be an issue.
    Joe Makowiec, Mar 28, 2005
  14. Art Reitsch

    Stewy Guest

    Try a musical instrument store. Many electric guitarists use foot
    Stewy, Mar 29, 2005
  15. Art Reitsch

    RSD99 Guest

    Almost any electrical or electronic supply store (NOT Radio Shack or Home
    Depot ... more like Dow Electronics or Granger) will be able to obtain the
    Linemaster line of foot switches. In my experience, almost all "OEM" foot
    switches are built by them, or using their components.
    RSD99, Mar 29, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.