Fuji S2 - How get 6 MP image?

Discussion in 'Fuji' started by dperez, Nov 5, 2003.

1. dperez

dperez Guest

OK, similar to my last question about the F100/S2 focusing (see what happens
    when people read the manual!) I also have a question about image sizes.....

I've been shooting RAW images with the S2. Which are about 12.9 MB and I
    believe are 12.1 megapixel... In the dpreview of the S2 is the following:

"After performing my own resolution tests I soon discovered that although the 12
    mp resolution delivers a larger image it doesn't deliver any more resolution
    than the 6.1 mp mode. Add to this the storage penalty you'll pay shooting at 12
    mp (4 MB JPEG's) and it's clear to see that the 6.1 mp mode is the way to go. "

"As mentioned above the S2 Pro's 6.1 mp mode produces very nice, sharp and low
    noise images. The S2 Pro produces the 6.1 megapixel image by first 'processing'
    the SuperCCD RAW data to a 12 megapixel image and then downsampling to the 6.1
    megapixel size. "

OK, first question - is EVERYTHING other than RAW, jpeg? Ignoring the TIFF
    option, of course...

I have (N)ormal, (F)ine, and (H)igh for quality. What do these modify? Number
    of bits per pixel? Something else? And, I have 1440, 2304, 3024, and 4256
    which appear to be pixel counts and set file sizes - 1440X960, 2304X1536,
    3024X2016 (which is supposedly the 6.12 megapixel), and 4256X2848 (which is the
    12 mp)... So, if I can only shoot RAW at 12 MP, how did the dpreview writeup
    get a 6 mp image? Is it taking the full image as RAW then converting it
    internally to JPEG?

I've been avoiding JPEG for anything even remotely important because of the
    lossy nature, especially when I'm running everything through Photoshop. So, is
    dpreview saying its OK to get the 6 mp JPEG image and turn it into a .psd file
    initially in Photoshop or should I stay with the RAW images? Where'd they get
    this 6 MP image?

OR, am I just making it unnecessarily difficult and just say "screw it" and keep
    shooting RAW?

dperez, Nov 5, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. dperez

Myron Wellan Guest

Hopefully someone has the answer. I've had my S2 for a year and love it.
    Really thought I was getting more for my money than all the other 6mp
    cameras - that is until I read your email.

Have to agree with you "screw it" and enjoy shooting larger RAW files.

Myron Wellan, Nov 5, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. dperez

dperez Guest

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

So, as with all such things, there's no perfect answer! If THE *&^%$#@ SUN
    EVER comes out again in Minneapolis I'm gonna get out and shoot some stuff at
    the Conservatory using the Fine and 3024X???? setting. Then I'll bring 'em into
    Photoshop and see what they look like...

dperez, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Cold, though. (Me too).

David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 7, 2003
  5. dperez

dperez Guest

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got to get out and shoot some birds and such...
    Spent hours at the Arboretum and along the Minnesota River...

I know I veer wildly from my original subject, but I was amazed at how well the
    batteries held up. I was out this morning when it was 12 degrees, and continued
    shooting until around 3 pm, when it got up to around 28. During that period I
    shot right around 350 images, using 3 1G microdrives and a CF card. Batteries
    held up all day, and right at the very end the CR123s started showing low...
    But, I'd also shot about 200 flash shots the other night on those CR123s... I
    was under the impression that the batteries would fail at anything under about
    30 degrees so I was happy to have them hold up so well...

dperez, Nov 7, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question