high contast film

Discussion in 'Darkroom Developing and Printing' started by Bob, May 27, 2007.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    How Do I achieve very high contrast .. printing I would use Grade 5 paper
    ( Ilford MG using a grade 5 filter) but to increase the contrast should I
    have High contrast film and how do I do it .
    Bob, May 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  2. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=406&pid=1214

    The same stuff is available in many brands in all countries.
    Nicholas O. Lindan, May 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  3. Bob

    Ken Hart Guest

    Years ago, I played with Kodalith (which is probably similar to the Agfa
    product in Mr Lindan's link). I used it similarly to regular photo paper.
    Processed in Kodalith developer, I got black and white- no grays. Processed
    in Dektol, I got high contrast with a few gray tones. I usually printed a
    35mm neg to a 4x5 size piece of Kodalith. This gave me a transparent
    positive. I contact printed that to another piece of Kodalith for a negative
    that I could enlarge.
    It was fun stuff to play with, and I got some really interesting results.
    One thing you might want to try is to take a positive and a negative, put
    them together just over so slightly out of alignment, and print the result.
    You get a kind of line-drawing/bas-relief effect.
    Ken Hart, May 27, 2007
  4. Bob

    Peter Guest

    I'm not sure how high "very high" is. If it is extreme, the
    suggestion of Kodalith or a similar product is a good suggestion.
    There is a range of contrasts available with most film by increasing
    the development time (or using a more energetic developer). Typically
    this also leads to a more dense negative and the exposure can be
    adjusted if needed.

    Over expose (relative to some standard) and under develop gives a
    lower contrast; under expose and over develop gives a higher contrast.
    Peter, May 28, 2007
  5. Bob

    Ken Hart Guest

    Kodalith (and equivalent products from other manufacturers) is designed to
    give either black or white (actually clear, since it is a film material).
    It's used for making printing plates. In the old days of newspaper printing
    (for example), you made up a single copy of the day's newspaper (called a
    "paste-up" because the individual stories, design elelments, headlines, etc
    were pasted on a newspaper size sheet of paper). The paste-up was
    photographed with Kodalith at one-to-one, providing a negative the same size
    as the newspaper. That negative was then used to "burn" a printing plate.
    The printing plate was placed on the rotary printing press, and the morning
    news started coming down!

    Kodalith can be "improperly" processed to yield some gray tones. I doubt
    that it can be processed to provide a full tonal range image (but I don't
    know that for a fact!).
    Ken Hart, May 29, 2007
  6. Bob

    Peter Guest

    Please pardon my less than careful remark. I meant to emphasize that
    there are processing choices with whatever film the orignal poster was
    using. Mr. Lindan mentioned a process that can produce extreme
    contrast; there might be some interest in an intermediate amount of
    contrast unless the OP has already explored this (not clear from his
    Peter, May 29, 2007
  7. Bob

    bob Guest

    I cant get hold of lith film easily here in the UK
    but I will experiment with different development times and filters
    One interesting thing was I used old film developer and it gave a nice
    grainy look on Ilford Delta 400 film
    bob, May 30, 2007
  8. Believe it or not, you can get hold of lith film anywhere.

    Just don't go the camera store... You need to find
    graphic arts, prepress, printing, etc. suppliers.
    Go to Kodak, Agfa and Fuji web sites and look for
    the graphics division. An email should get you a
    list of local suppliers.

    If there is a printing shop nearby see if they
    have any they are chucking out: most plates are made
    directly with a laser imagesetter in these modern times.

    Search ebay for "film" in "printing & graphic arts", "office
    supplies" or "industrial supplies". There is usually some
    one selling imagesetter film or some such.
    Nicholas O. Lindan, May 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.