Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by bob, Jan 24, 2013.

  1. bob

    bob Guest

    Is there any kind of paintbrush in Photoshop that is like a highlighter in real life?

    bob, Jan 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

  2. bob

    Voivod Guest

    It's called opacity. Look it up.
    Voivod, Jan 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

  3. bob

    Savageduck Guest

    That depends on what you are trying to achieve.

    If your intent is to highlight text on an existing image, the simplest
    method would be as follows:

    Open the image.
    Add an empty layer over the background layer.
    Select a regular brush and adjust the size to match the text to be
    highlighted. Set the hardness to 100%.
    Select the color.
    Now you can go in one of two directions:
    You can adjust the opacity of the brush, probably somewhere around
    45-60% before highlighting the text.
    or, my recommended choice,
    You can leave the brush opacity at 100% and adjust the layer opacity
    after you have applied the highlight. You can also change the layer
    "blending option".
    In the case of the example below, I added the text, highlighted the
    middle line, and set the layer blending option to "color dodge".
    < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/G-Kimber-CDP-LAc2w.jpg >

    By using a layer you will always be able to revert to the original
    before you merge the layers and "save as".

    You can use this method for marking up PDF text documents, but for
    those it would be simpler to use a dedicated PDF editor.
    Savageduck, Jan 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
There are no similar threads yet.