How to make 'old color picture look-like' photos ?

Discussion in 'Photoshop Tutorials' started by OliveV, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. OliveV

    OliveV Guest

    OliveV, Aug 4, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. OliveV

    Hunt Guest


    As with most older color photographs, some fading has taken place on those
    shown. A good starting point would be to Open the photo, and double-click on
    the "Background" Layer in the Layers Palette. It will open with only one
    Layer, and the word "Background" will be italicized. You can then accept the
    default name for the Layer - Layer 0 in CS. This will allow you to click on
    the two colored circle at the bottom of the Layer Palette to make an
    Adjustment Layer. In the Adjustment Layer fly-out choose Hue/Saturation, and
    move the Saturation slider to the left, until you are satisfied with the de-
    saturation effect. Then you can move the Hue slider to shift to the Cyan, or
    to the Magenta side, as both are common color problems with aged photographs.
    There is much more that you can do, but this should start you in the right

    Hunt, Aug 5, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. (?)
    In my version of CS it is possible to create adjustment layers for the
    background layer
    Peter Wollenberg, Aug 5, 2004
  4. OliveV

    Hunt Guest


    I'll check that out. While I've had CS for some time now, I freely admit that
    I often just do things as I did back in 7, or 6, or 5... If this change has
    been made, I was certainly not aware of it, and that would eliminate a step.

    Hunt, Aug 5, 2004
  5. OliveV

    Hunt Guest


    Right you are! Thanks for that tip - you just saved me a bunch of steps adding
    Adjustment Layers to Background Layers.
    Hunt, Aug 5, 2004
  6. OliveV

    Toru Guest

    Toru, Aug 5, 2004
  7. OliveV

    Odysseus Guest

    As far back as v5.5 (Mac OS) at least, there's nothing to stop you from
    adding as many Adjustment Layers as you like to an image that contains
    only the default background layer; I do corrections and certain effects
    that way all the time.

    Were you perhaps thinking of transparency, which is unavailable for a
    background layer? For example a photo that's been 'floated' as you
    describe and then made less than 100% opaque would acquire a faded
    appearance. A background layer filled with a light tan or beige could
    also be added to simulate the yellowing of old print paper; another
    approach would be to make a 'flat' Curves layer specifying the yellowed
    or faded paper colour, with a low transparency value. The latter would
    probably make for a smaller file, as it adds only a single greyscale
    channel (and the curve data) to the file, rather than the three or four
    channels needed for a full-colour image layer.
    Odysseus, Aug 5, 2004
  8. OliveV

    ZONED! Guest

    ZONED!, Aug 5, 2004
  9. OliveV

    Toru Guest

    Search through there, there is a great plug in that includes the easiest
    sepia filter. It's called photforeebies.exe.
    I'll email it to ya if you can't find it.
    Toru, Aug 6, 2004
  10. OliveV

    jjs Guest

    Look at your photoshop installation.

    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS\Samples\Droplets\Photoshop

    Right there is an Aged Photo droplet! It's in Version 7, too. And probably
    Version 6.

    For sepia, try some of the presets under Duotones (brown plus black).
    jjs, Aug 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.